MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Store what you eat??

I'm struggling a bit with this concept, I think because I just figure that in a crisis situation we'd make some adjustments.

I know better than to store up a bunch of something we never eat, but on the other hand, I'm storing up some things that we don't eat often, why? Because they are easily stored.

For instance, Vienna Sausages... kids love 'em, but they're not on our regular menu. We pull them out now and then as a treat of sorts...strange I know! But you know how kids are?

I sat down today to try to make a list of what we eat on a regular basis and there are some items that I'm not able to figure out how to store up?

For instance, we cook out hamburgers and hot dogs at least once a week. How could I store that, long term I mean, besides putting them in the freezer? Even if I canned hamburger meat, it wouldn't be made into patties? right?

My brain is befuddled!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people can hamburgers and hot dogs.

I love burgers. But for me, they don't have to be beef - so I'm buying the instant veggie burger mix in bulk from my local coop. You add water, let it sit 10 minutes, then shape it into patties and cook.

If you store 300 lbs of pinto beans and have never used them before, it's going to be difficult. So, for example, I'm not buying any more canned baked beans. Right now I have baked beans in the oven that I made from scratch using dried navy beans. i had forgotten how to do it, tried last week and failed, but this batch looks good. I won't be buying any more canned refried beans either. I'm going to start making them from scratch, so we're used to it and I'm not trying to relearn old skills in a stressful time.

I won't be buying any split peas though. I've just never liked split pea soup. I don't care how nutritious peas are, I'm not buying dried split peas unless I can first figure out a way I'd actually likethem.

You can form the hb meat into patties and brown them and can them in wide mouth jars. They won't taste exactly as they would if made fresh, but it can be done. These can also be used as salisbury steak if you heat them well and add gravy.

For us, we would adjust in that we wouldn't have french fries except during the 2 months that fresh homegrown potatoes can be kept here. It's too hot in Ga to store them more than 2-3 months. We would likely not have meatloaf and such except when we had freshly killed meat. Those are the sorts of adjustments we would make.

Instant vegie burger mix huh? I'll have to look into that...hmmmm. That's a new one on me.

I've thought the same on the potatoes, we love 'em but if we're only eating the ones we're growing...we'll be limited. Of course there are the dehydrated potatoes and instant potatoes and even canned potatoes ... but they aren't fries are they.

I think my new philosophy will be...store what you "would" eat...

smile

Instant veggie burgers: http://www.fantasticfoods.com/catalog/natu...9.html?cPath=30

instant black refried beans:

http://www.fantasticfoods.com/catalog/inst...5.html?cPath=35

instant refried beans (pinto):

http://www.fantasticfoods.com/catalog/inst...4.html?cPath=35

I also used to like their instant hummus and instant felafel. Hubby's interested in trying more vegetarian foods, so I got a box of the sloppy joe mix and taco filling to try out this week.

The instant black beans are stellar. Just add hot water and let them sit for 10 or 15 minutes and they're fantastic. There's also a recipe for making soup out of it.

Here's another little question. As I've been noting what we lots of "cream of something" soups (mostly cream of chicken but also some cream of mushroom and occasionally others).

I plan to buy extra of these, but has anyone got a more economical solution...they're fairly expensive.

Originally Posted By: Stephanie
Here's another little question. As I've been noting what we lots of "cream of something" soups (mostly cream of chicken but also some cream of mushroom and occasionally others).

I plan to buy extra of these, but has anyone got a more economical solution...they're fairly expensive.

I make 'cream of' soups by the pot, and it is a lot less than canned soups.

1/2 cup butter
2 cups of any vegetable (broccoli, cauliflower, mushroom)-chopped
2 ribs of celery-chopped
1 onion-chopped
2 quarts of chicken stock or water w/bouillon
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 cups half & half

Directions
Saute vegetables in butter until tender crisp.
Add stock or water and bring to a boil.
In separate boil melt butter and flour mix to a paste. (roux)
Slowly add butter paste to boiling water to thicken.
Turn down heat and add milk and half & half.
Heat but DO NOT boil.
Serve.

Things that add flavor and nutrition, but not MSG, are browned flour (any grain you prefer), browned or toasted sesame seed ground up or sesame oil, onion powder, left over coffee, gumbo file, ground thistle seed, powdered dry stinging nettle, stock. (Ok, some of these are a little odd. LOL) You can make your own stock with the odd bits left over of veggies or meats. Any bony carcass with most of the meat cut off can be boiled up, strained and seasoned. For veggie stock save up the peelings from the onions, the carrot tops, celery tops and butts, cucumber peels, etc and simmer slowly till all the goodness is in the water then strain.

I use canned milk or dry milk, but don't buy half and half or cream.

cream of soup? found these on the net...

use stored items

Cream of Something Soup Mix

2 cups of dry powdered milk

3/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules

2 tablespoons dry onion flakes

1 teaspoon each basil and garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons dry celery flakes (optional)

This is a convenient mix for making the equivalent of a can of cream of celery, or mushroom soup, which so many recipes call for. To make the mix, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Mix them up, distributing everything evenly. Store the mixture in a quart size container, well sealed. It will keep for several months.

To cook: combine 1/3-cup mix and 1-1/4 cups cool tap water in a small saucepan. Stir it well and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Boil and stir for a full minute. Remove from heat. It is now ready to use in any recipe calling for a can of Cream of Mushroom or Celery or Chicken Soup. I tested all of the casseroles in my website with this recipe and it worked perfectly without exception.

You can also make this in the microwave, in which case, reduce the liquid to 1 cup, because none will evaporate during the cooking process. An additional benefit to this recipe, it contains no added fat. If you wanted to, you could add a tablespoon of margarine or bacon grease for more flavor, but it really doesn't need it.

Fat Free Quick Sauce Mix (also known as Cream Soup Mix)

2 cups * instant non-fat dry milk

3/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup instant chicken bouillon

2 Tbsp. dehydrated onion flakes

1 tsp. Italian seasoning

Combine all ingredients. Store until ready to use. Equivalent to 9 cans soup.

To substitute for 1 can of cream soup:

Combine 1/3 cup dry mix with 1 1/4 cup cold water and cook until thickened. Add to a recipe as you would a can of soup.

Variations:

*To use non-instant dry milk (the kind you get at the dry-pack cannery), use 1 1/4 cup non-instant milk instead of the 2 cups instant. When mixing up the recipe, use 1/4 cup mix instead of 1/3 cup. You may need to add a small amount of water to the mix to form a paste, then add the rest of the water, to dissolve the milk more readily.

To use flour instead of cornstarch, use 2 cups flour in the mix instead of the cornstarch. When using the mix, use 1/2 cup instead of the 1/3 cup.

This makes a good cheese sauce, just add 1/2 to 1 cup of grated cheese to the prepared sauce and heat until the cheese melts.

You can also make a good cream of vegetable soup by adding chopped or pureed vegetables. Add a little more water than when using it as a sauce (the recipe says double the water, but I like my cream soups thicker than that). Broccoli cheese soup is especially good.

"Cream of Chicken" Soup Mix

2 cups nonfat dry milk powder

3/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup unsalted instant chicken bouillon granules

2 tablespoons dried onion flakes or 1-teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Blend ingredients. When ready to use, combine 1/3 cup casserole

mix with 1 1/4 cups water to equal 1 can of soup.

Reasonably Good Cream Soup Base

1 cup milk powder (Nonfat dry milk. To use another kind, you will have to tweak the recipe to address the fluff factor.)

1 cup sour cream powder or butter powder (whichever can has been opened longest)

1 cup white all purpose flour

1 tablespoon sea salt

1 tablespoon hickory smoked salt or onion salt or garlic salt

1 tablespoon onion powder (best is powdered toasted dried onion)

1 coffee scoop of powdered rice, if any is handy

If you have any ghee, add some in with a light touch and reduce the butter/sour cream but add a corresponding quantity of milk powder.

Mix powders.

Mix one cup of dishwashing-hot water (or broth, if you have any) with 1/2 cup powder mix. Add more powder until the base is as thick as you want. Then add your chicken or vegetables and flavorings to make the "of" part. Most people will also want to add salt. Leftover powder keeps well at room temp for several days. In the fridge, keeps several months.

Another version, for when you need diluted cream of soup:

1/3 to 1/2 stick butter

same quantity of flour

1 can evaporated milk

1/2 can water (at most)

salt to taste,

Melt butter. Over low heat, stir in flour. When smooth, gradually stir in milk. Bring heat up to medium, simmer a couple of minutes, then if it's too thick drizzle in water until it's the right thickness. Add cooked/chopped meat, sauteed mushrooms/onions/celery, or any combination of them. Bring heat back up, simmer another minute or two for the flavors to blend, then serve, use, or refrigerate.

I have similar recipes for cream of soups that use actual fresh ingredients but this isn't what the thread is about.. just thought I would share.

I haven't made any of these... I am not a cream of soup kind of person.

I like fresh salads and vegetables or fruits.. and a simple meat cooked on the BBQ.

Canning is a way to preserve the fresh fruit and vegetables that is seasonal.. whether it is home grown, farmers market cause I can't grow it or find it in the store at an incredibly cheap price! (ears of corn $0.05 cents each! can't grow it that cheaply!)

Canning meat is a way to use up what is in the freezer, making room for more freshly butchered meat.

We are very simple eaters.

Now to "eat what you store"

I don't store what we hate! but I do store what we 'will' eat.

Pineapple isn't a canned fruit I can't live without.. but in combination with other fruits or meats (canned ham) it creates something we will eat.

I HATE Spam!!! (husband likes it) but... ok on a sandwich better in bean soups! I have a hard time telling the difference between spam and the canned hams.. yes a slight difference but still...

So I have cases of 1 pound dak hams and spam! pineapple and a little glaze will make a nice christmas ham even though there will be several 1 pound canned hams opened!

Nothing like split pea soup and ham hocks! well.. maybe not ham hocks but diced canned spam or ham! Of course using these canned meats in any bean soups or even making baked beans will be a delight to the pallet!

this is just an example of items I don't normally eat, but find they make a great substitute for the real thing.

I have lots of items stored I don't normally eat but will love having them to ward off appetite fatigue and keep some sense of nutrition.

Seitan isn't something I am looking forward to eating to replace meat but if necessary.... I will make it and eat it.. think Swanson 1963 Salisbury Steak TV dinner! And I will be glad to have the wheat to make it too!

I think this is where embracing canning really comes in handy! no you won't be able to make meatloaf with out freshly ground meat... but there will be other things you can make. By canning ground meat, you can put together a meatloaf casserole! anyone have a recipe? ... think shepherds pie!

While I love fresh fruit.. having canned fruit to make fruit salads will be a refreshing desert!

Ambrosia Fruit Salad is a perfect example of a canned fruit salad.. though I am not much on coconut, and while some use sour cream others use cool whip... I would use ...

Whipped Topping

½ cup ice cold water

½ cup sugar

½ cup nonfat dry milk

2 tablespoons lemon juice

Put water into an ice cold bowl. Add milk and beat with a cold egg beater until stiff.

Add sugar slowly while beating. Add lemon juice and beat only until well mixed.

Whipped Topping No. 2

6 tablespoons nonfat dry milk

1 cup water

2 teaspoons gelatin

1½ tablespoons cold water

¼ cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

Dissolve the milk in the cup of water and scald. Soak the gelatin in cold water.

Combine the scalded milk, dissolved gelatin and sugar. Stir and chill in the refrigerator until it jells. Now beat the mixture until it acquires the consistency of whipped cream. Add the

vanilla and whip again.

EVAPORATED MILK

Mix 1 cup water with 2/3 cup powdered milk.

WHIPPED EVAPORATED MILK

1 cup evaporated milk

2 TBSP. lemon juice

Thoroughly chill evaporated milk. Add lemon juice and whip until

stiff. Sweeten with 2-4 TBSP sugar and flavor as desired.

WHIPPED TOPPING

6 TBSP. Instant Dry Milk or 3 ½ TBSP Non-instant dry milk

1 cup boiling water

2 TBSP. cold water

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin

2-4 TBSP. sugar

Dissolve the milk in the cup of water and scald. Soak the gelatin in cold water. Combine the scalded milk, dissolved gelatin and sugar.

Stir and chill in the refrigerator until it gels. Now beat the

mixture until it acquires the consistency of whipped cream. Add the vanilla and whip again.

Powdered milk is not something I use. I like goats milk and that is that! cow milk does not taste good to me either.

So I have lots of powdered milk to create lots of other foods.

When the powdered milk goes bad... I will make milk bath

Herbal Milk Bath

1 cup cornstarch

2 cups dry milk powder

2 T. of your favorite herbs

Combine in blender. Use 1/2 cup to hot bath.

Lavender Milk Bath

1 c. powdered milk

2-3 drops lavender oil or any fragrance oil.

When you hear "store what you eat and eat what you store"

it doesn't make sense to store canned spinach if you hate it, never gonna eat it and it makes you throw up!

If you eat baked beans once every couple of years because they are ok but not your favorite.. while you won't make it a weekly part of your menu.. having them as part of your menu for special occasions isn't a problem.

While you probably don't ever use cheese soup, having cans in your pantry isn't a bad idea! think about some of the things you use cheese on? burritos? casseroles? but trying to store cheese is next to impossible.. think about alternatives you can use... Things that you can make work in some of your recipes.

ok.. done for now.

Thanks to everyone, I feel much better about this since I posted yesterday morning! It's so wonderful to have such supportive, creative and smart internet buddies! thanks

So, I am goig to focus on "STORING what we WILL eat!" I'm going to be flexible and have substitutes for some of our normal fare.

Do you know what I got from Emergency Essentials? Powdered Refried Beans! I couldn't believe my eyes, I just had to get them. We love Mexican food and like refried beans. I know I can stock up cans, and I know I can make my own from pintos, but just had to see how these "instant" ones were.

I did a fairly large order there yesterday (for me) and it was a well thought out order after I really thought out what we would actually use and how it could be combined to make palatable meals in a crisis situation (thanks for those thoughts Westie).

And I love the ideas for the milk baths! bath

Canned hamburger is great in lasagne. One quart jar feels like a generous quantity for a panful of food that feeds five of us (currently including two guys at the eats-vast-quantities stage) for two-plus days. I use an equal quantity of fried onions and meat when I use canned meat, and I mix them together; it just works better that way.

I am not going to go back and re-read what I wrote... middle of the night.. not able to sleep and on pain meds... may scare myself at how abstract my thoughts may be.

I may need to quality everything I write with.. "I am on pain meds and that is my excuse!"

sounding like a broken record...

do menu planning and then buy for your menu. some things will need to be substituted as in examples above (spam, canned hams), other things you can make using your pantry supplies (powdered milk into whipped cream or cheese).

By planning a menu, it helps because it is one less thing you have to think about. You open your recipe book and begin!

With a menu and recipes, you know what to purchase and how much to purchase of each meal.

this will eliminate buying items you won't ever use.

If your children don't know about your storing then use... If we were going camping, what would you like to eat? and then take what they have said and try to incorporate that into your menu... within reason.

Ice Cream might not be possible, but getting creative and making instant pudding using powdered milk late at night when it is cool.. in the morning it just might have set up! what fun when it doesn't (as you joke about liquid pudding) you drink it and try again! less milk maybe or put in a solar cooker at night! so while the kids don't get ice cream, they get pudding... close enough!

(layer chocolate and banana or vanilla, or lemon and banana, or look for combinations that not only taste awe some but look pretty.. get the kids involved)

By getting the children involved it helps you plan.. oh and husbands too! they need input. This is one of those times.. after dinner.. have everyone clear the table, make tea or hot chocolate, have cookies you just made that you would make in SHTF.

This is a great time to try no bake cookies and there are so many variations of them! try a couple then ask the kids what else they would like in them?

I think we all looked forward to our after dinner time. It is sort of an extension of our dinner time. We spent dinner giving each person 'their' time to tell about their day. We ate slowly so no one felt rushed to finish (TV turned OFF!!!)... the extension was the desert.. usually that is when I get the calendar out to get down who was where and when, talked about homework and if they needed help, if there was any problems or questions about their lives. Some of the questions they had.. had to do some fancy footwork on but we made it through! LOL!

This time was also spent talking about the what if's. We started out easy... what if there is a fire and the bus can't get you to the bus stop but dropped you off at the store. (before cell phones) what if there is a fire in the house. What if there is an (pick natural disaster for your area) earthquake and you couldn't get home.. that made it easy over time to ask the more sensitive questions...survival.

We also talked a lot about camping and let the kids camp out in tents in the summer by having friends come over and have a camping party with them.

Starting out with letting the kids cook smores (supervised.. always supervised) then letting them cook their own hamburgers and so on,. <-- as age permitted and permission from their parents.

Now I bet you are wondering what this has to do with eating what you store.... well everything and nothing..

it is getting the family involved in the decision making, trying out your recipes and getting feedback, teaching the children about survival in a party/sleepover type of an environment and at the same time you are teaching their friends too.

It is an opportunity to observe holes in your camping concepts and at the same time your kids think you are the coolest parents in the whole wide world!

dig a pit in the yard, do dutch oven cooking with the kids.. and I am not meaning you! I mean your husband or wife too! invite the parents of the kids that are spending the night to have a dutch oven dinner too! after a nice dinner, you sit around and roast marshmallows with the the kids and you... the parents get to know you a bit better you get to know them better.. they feel more comfortable about their children being there.. your kids stay home cause you are cool parents (even ran tv and vcr out to the tent and let them watch movies (approved by all parents) all night long! using that old fashioned popcorn popper over the fire!

(try popping wheat!)

there is so much going on, there is more then just eat what you store... so many memories you are creating in your children, so much to learn. So many mistakes and laughs because of them.. so many this is delicious make this again and so many ewwwww, spit, spit! and the laughs and ribbing over the years as the story is told again and again.

I still have the kids friends stop by.. they share what they are doing.. yes, at dinner they got their turn too to share their day! we invite the kids friends and their wives and children over and we are building memories with their children. this could be you! what a legacy to leave.

all this because you asked about eating or not eating what you store.

Westie,

Your posts were great! You showed me how to make cream-of- type things with already stored ingredients AND best of all, how to make a whipped dessert topping with them! It'll stop my kids (and DH) from whining about Kool-whip!

Don't you worry, or should I say, please continue using us to cure your insomnia. Its a completely selfish request on my part.

I am inspired! That's just what I am, inspired. You know this way of life (prepping) is a great way to raise a family.

I'm going to let the boys put up a tent this very evening! NYDebbie already mentioned doing it with her boys too. And as she said it's a good time to test some camping methods and equipment. And as Westie said, it's a great time to make some memories. I was thinking of that 100 year poem while I was reading Westie's post.

One Hundred Years from now

(excerpt from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft)

One Hundred Years from now

It will not matter

what kind of car I drove,

What kind of house I lived in,

how much money was in my bank account

nor what my clothes looked like.

But the world may be a better place because

I was important in the life of a child.

Archived