MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wish me luck with beans!

After 15 years my husband has FINALLY agreed to try beans. I, personally, have no problem with beans and would have been eating them all this time. However, man has all but banned them from our house, lol. So today while we were grocery shopping together, I showed him the selection of beans they had and said what with the state of the economy, our finances, etc, etc that it may be a good thing if he could learn to like them. Then he grabbed a pack and put it in the buggy! (I do think that light shown down from heaven and the trumpets were blowing...)

So, he has agreed to try bean soup. The bag of beans he chose is a variety pack that comes with a flavor packet and the recipe calls for ham, garlic, stewed or dice tomatoes and some lemon juice. I'm planning on making corn bread with it. If anyone knows of any tricks I can use to make them any yummier than that recipe, please let me know! All of our future bean usage depends on this one sack of beans!!

My mom swears that if you'll put a piece of apple in while they cook that you will not have the after effect...which may once again make you think trumpets are blowing!! rofl

I think you made a good choice to try first, that's a yummy soup. I usually add sausage and tomatoes, I think the bag says that. I don't buy the bags anymore, just mix my own.

Good luck!

Well, for the first time...

The more ham, the better. Maybe some cooked bacon. Chopped onion, garlic, carrots.

I add in about a cup of applesauce. It helps add a bit of natural sweetness.

We don't like ours with tomatoes... at least I've never used them. I just use ham broth or the packet.

Season to YOUR TASTES, at the end.

I add a bit more sugar to my cornbread, too. That way we use it all up!

bighug

beans...

want him to like beans?

do you make tacos? try adding a can (note this is a can! already prepared.. makes it easy) to your ground beef.

black beans have a heavier flavor and go well with meat.

take him to a mexican restaurant! or get burritos as a take out.. not taco bell!!! but a real restaurant! oh heck, come on over!

I will make burritos with shredded beef and refried beans!

oh goodness this man would have eaten beans years ago and never known it. The kids ate brussel sprouts and thought they were baby lettuce dripping in butter! they love them. ok, I lied! but they loved baby carrots .. the brussel sprouts look like baby lettuce.

Originally Posted By: bluegrassmom
If anyone knows of any tricks I can use to make them any yummier than that recipe, please let me know! All of our future bean usage depends on this one sack of beans!!

After 30 years with my DH and two sons, I have found that I can get men to eat just about anything if it is bracketed by home-made bread and dessert.

You already decided on the corn bread, now make him a tasty, economical dessert, like brownies or krispy squares! cheer

And I loved the part about the light shining down and trumpets blowing! rofl

I have the same problem - a man who says he won't eat beans.

We had pretty much the same discussion, and I bought one package of each of the beans in the supermarket (the little packages).

Yesterday I put one package of plain pinto beans into the crockpot, along with carrots, onion, garlic, celery, bacon, a can of tomato sauce and some red wine with 8 cups of water - set to cook on low for the 12 hours we were gone at work. When we came home, the house smelled heavenly, and although it tasted good it was a little bland.

So, I fried up a pound of hamburger meat, added taco seasoning and some jalapeno seasoning and tossed it in - and served up two small bowls.

We ate, we both commented that it was pretty good - and when done I watched in amazement as DH got up and refilled his bowl! I never said a word, just went into the kitchen to do dishes - but I'm sure angels sang right then!!!

Good Luck!

Oh, one more thing - I read this and tried it yesterday - before putting the beans into the crockpot I brought them to a quick boil in a stockpot, then let them cool off for an hour. I then rinsed them off twice to get rid of as much of the 'noisemaking' properties as possible.

It seems to have worked; what we ate last night has had no aftereffects at all.....even with him eating two bowls.

Now that I know he'll eat them, I can actually go out and buy Beano, though. LOL

ok time to get serious...

grow... Epazote

here is a link to info about it..

http://www.ehow.com/how_2300112_use-mexi...mpaign=yssp_art

more info including growing

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/epazote.htm

may be needed if SHTF... it does work, and I like the flavor.

Apple has never helped us with the trumpet noise! BLAST!

Epazote doesn't help us either in terms of gas, (of course we could be freaks and I am sure we are :*)) and we use it regularly anyway because it grows so well here! it seems like it just takes a couple months of regular consumption to do well with beans..and the younger you are, the better...Cricket, you are so right about the "brackets" homemade bread and dessert making whatever comes between just FINE! I myself love chopped raw onion and sour cream with my beans -- they become caviar! do keep trying with the beans, no matter what!

I have wondered if that expensive BEANO isn't just a way to inhibit us from growing our own bean-loving gas-inhibiting enzymes? though I really don't know... but I wonder if it defeats one of the purposes of eating beans, too -ECONOMY!

I think after beans have become a regular part of the diet, the noxious side-effects would lessen.

Another factor is age. I think younger folks are just less "gassy" in general, regardless of diet.

Unless you are on a long car trip with them. sick

bouquet ok, you get gas from beans that are older than 6 mos. dried storage. If you grew and ate only fresh beans ( like pinto beans, not green beans), you would not get the gas.

Since most folks don't grow their own, they will have to deal with the gas factor.... soak over night and rinse , fill with fresh water and cook... making sure your Intestinal Tract is in good health will help deal with gas problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, can we just say....YYUUUMMMMMM?!?!?!?!?!

We cannot believe we have lived this long without beans. Oh my. And also, there really were no....side effects....at all.

Hubs is a very picky eater and this passed muster with him. Now, our kids think we've sprouted horns or something..but what do they know? It'll be another ten years before they realize what's good.

So thanks all! We now have another major food source!

Archived