MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Versatile Powdered Milk

**edited to add that I just saw half of these in the store what you eat thread. drat, sorry! I'm still getting the hang of the board layout.

Milk amounts are for the large crystal instant nonfat powdered milk (ie, carnation, storebrand, etc.) If you use another type, you will need to adjust the amount of powder used. Ie., when I use Moos, I usually use less than half the amount of milk called for. There is a noticable (bad) taste difference when using a powder rather than a crystalized form when making sweets like icecream, pudding, creams, etc. (ie Moos is yucky for dessert.)

Heavy Cream

1c powdered milk

2T oil or butter

1 1/3 c water

Sour milk or uncultured buttermilk

1 cup water

1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice

2 tbsp powdered milk

Mix and use in recipes where called for.

Cultured Buttermilk

3 cups lukewarm water

½ cup buttermilk

2/3 c powdered Milk

Mix all three very thoroughly until very well blended. Let sit untouched on the counter (warm spot) until set (6-12 hrs). Refrigerate. Buttermilk keeps pretty good for 2-3 weeks.

Sweetened Condensed Milk

2 cups non-fat dry milk powder

1 cup hot tap water

2 cups sugar

6 tablespoons melted margarine

Use blender or food processor to process for 1 minute. It will be thin, but will thicken up after standing for an hour. This recipe makes about 3c, or 2 cans of condensed milk.

Evaporated Milk

1-1/3 cups water

1 cup of instant dry milk powder

Stir or shake to combine. This is the equivalent of a 12-ounce can of evaporated milk.

Whipped Cream

3/4 cup dry milk powder

3/4 cup ice water

1/2 tsp. vanilla *optional

1/4 cup sugar or splenda *optional

1 t lemon juice *optional

Beat with a mixer in a chilled bowl until fluffy. Or use blender.

Whipped evaporated milk

1 c evaporated milk

Chill very thoroughly and whip. Optionally add lemon juice, vanilla or sweeten.

Whipped Topping

1 packet unflavored gelatin

1 tablespoon tap water

1/3 cup boiling water

1 cup tap water

1 cup dry powdered milk

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice

Chill 1c water for ice crystals.. Dissolve gelatin in 1/3 c boiling water. Allow to completely cool. Mix oil, vanilla and lemon juice. Add milk powder to water and whip for stiff peaks. *5 minutes. Add sugar and beat. Add gelatin and beat. Add oil mixture in a small stream; texture will change. Store in refrigerator for a week. Stable enough to ice a cake.

Homemade Yogurt:

Make a quart of milk and add another 1/2-cup of milk powder. Whisk in 1/4-cup of yogurt with active cultures. Stash in a warm spot, between 80°and 110°. Allow it to sit 6 to 8 hours. It should be thick and creamy, like commercially available yogurt. Chill & use as yogurt or sour cream.

Cream Cheese:

Line a colander with a clean, damp piece of cloth. Pour prepared yogurt into the cloth. Allow the yogurt to drain overnight. In the morning the remaining solids will be yogurt cheese. They can be used anywhere you would use cream cheese or thick sour cream.

Queso Blanco- the original Jack Cheese

2 cups warm water

1-1/2 cup dry milk powder

1/3 cup white vinegar

Blend all ingredients. Pour into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until curds form and remaining liquid is a clear yellow. If still milky looking, add vinegar, 1 tsp at a time. Pour curds into a cheese cloth lined colander. Rinse well with very warm water to remove vinegar flavor. Add salt to taste and press if desired between 2 plates. Wrap in plastic and store in fridge.

Curds & Whey

In a large pot combine 6-cups of fresh water and 3-cups of dry milk powder. Stir to dissolve. Heat the milk over a medium flame until it is very warm, about 120°. This is hot to the touch, but not scalding. Stir in 1/2-cup of plain white vinegar. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. There should be a large mass of curds in an amber pool of whey. If the liquid is still milky, add another 1/4-cup of vinegar. Stir and stand again for 10 minutes. Line a strainer with a clean cloth and drain off the whey. It can be used as the liquid in bread or muffins or biscuits. Rinse the curds under cool water and store in the fridge. This recipe makes about 1-1/2 to 2-cups of curds.

Ricotta or Cottage Cheese: The dry cheese curds from the above recipe will work for ricotta cheese in most recipes. To turn it into cottage cheese add a little evaporated milk or yogurt to "cream" it and stir to combine.

Milk Paint

Mix one and a half-cups nonfat dry milk and one-half cup water until it is the consistency of paint. Blend in water-based color to make the desired hue. Thin the paint by adding more water, thicken the paint by adding more powdered milk. Brush on as you would any other paint. Let the first coat dry for at least twenty-four hours before adding a second coat. Let the second dry for three days. Early American colonists made their milk paint from the milk used to boil berries, resulting in an attractive gray color. This paint is extremely durable. To strip milk paint, apply ammonia, allow it to dry for about four days, then apply bleach. Make sure you are stripping the paint in a well-ventilated area.

cheryl

I've never really used powdered milk, but knowing this should be a part of my preps I've bought some and trying to "use what I store", I've been trying to be brave enough to serve up some.

Yesterday my mom told me to make some up and then use it for pudding, so that was the plan. Well, after it got good and cold, I just had to taste it (close to the sink in case I needed to spit it out) and I was so surprised, it was fine, just fine.

So, I poured samples for the kids, they LOVED it, I mean they really did. Now, I'm all about incorporating this into out lives more and then stocking up on more. This would be such a blessing in a time of crisis. And invaluable in recipes as well.

What I tried last night was the Great Value (WalMart Brand) Nonfat Dry Milk. You use an envelope per quart.

But what confuses me is all the different types available and which one is the right one. I thought there was a thread that addressed this, but had no luck finding it.

I like Moos for drinking b/c I got a 50lb bag for $115 total (shipping, tax, and all.) It works out to be about 1.79 a gal for regular strength and half that for the 'skim milk' I usually make up. Moos doesn't do as well for whipping, etc, but it bakes fine in cookies and cakes. (This is probably because it is a whey based milk substitute.)

My MIL likes the Carnation packets for convenience , but I vary the strength and use it way to much to find any packet convenient.

I'm sure it has been posted before, but this website is great in describing the different types.

http://users.htcomp.net/prep/PowderedMilk.htm

cheryl

• 8 months later...

Archived