MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

First time I ever made cheese.

I started out to make a plain farmer cheese...then I had an experience kind of like I used to when I thought shopping was fun. One thing led to another and I was adding step after step. I won't know what it turns out like for 2 more nights.

1 gal. whole milk from the store-heat to almost boiling.

1 cup lime juice (I didn't have lemon) added to hot milk along with a tablespoon cream of tartar-didn't have rennet (Rennet!?!?)

Came back many, many, many ,many times and finally scooped out small curds to a strainer lined with disposable towels-didn't have cheesecloth.

Twisted the towel and watched it drain into the strainer set in a large pot. And twisted and twisted and twisted...until I popped the bottom out of the towels. Changed towels and repeated.

Put the ball into the microwave a minute. Kneaded for awhile-nothing happened but it is good exercise for the pectoral muscles.

Put the ball back into the microwave 35 seconds. Kneaded for awhile. Nothing happened...except maybe it looked drier. Kind of like biscuit dough.

Put the ball back into the microwave 25 more seconds. Kneaded until it was sticky...I was tired and it didn't look like cheese yet-actually looked like a big batch of Grands biscuits by the time I rolled it around in the bowl.

Put the tube into a gladware type container and covered in 40 ounces whey mixed with 10 tablespoons salt. Stuck it in the refrigerator. It's been there since last night. Mocking me. It's not as soft as it was last night.

How long is the excess whey good for?

I started out to make a plain farmer cheese...then I had an experience kind of like I used to when I thought shopping was fun. One thing led to another and I was adding step after step. I won't know what it turns out like for 2 more nights.

1 cup lime juice (I didn't have lemon) added to hot milk along with a tablespoon cream of tartar-didn't have rennet (Rennet!?!?)

Came back many, many, many ,many times and finally scooped out small curds to a strainer lined with disposable towels-didn't have cheesecloth.

Twisted the towel and watched it drain into the strainer set in a large pot. And twisted and twisted and twisted...until I popped the bottom out of the towels. Changed towels and repeated.

Put the ball into the microwave a minute. Kneaded for awhile-nothing happened but it is good exercise for the pectoral muscles.

Put the ball back into the microwave 35 seconds. Kneaded for awhile. Nothing happened...except maybe it looked drier. Kind of like biscuit dough.

Put the ball back into the microwave 25 more seconds. Kneaded until it was sticky...I was tired and it didn't look like cheese yet-actually looked like a big batch of Grands biscuits by the time I rolled it around in the bowl.

Put the tube into a gladware type container and covered in 40 ounces whey mixed with 10 tablespoons salt. Stuck it in the refrigerator. It's been there since last night. Mocking me. It's not as soft as it was last night.

Your experience sounded amusing! From everything I read whey should keep like milk does. About a week to ten days. If you get concerned, toss it out. The next time you try it and please do try it again - try doing this:

Quick and Easy Cheese

• Pour your gallon of milk into a pan and heat it to 120 degrees.
  • Turn off the heat and add 3/4 cup of white vinegar.
  • The milk should separate rather quickly - forming curds.
  • Stir gently.
  • Take a colander and toss in a very clean dish towel (or cheese cloth) - put a bowl under your colander and dump the whey and curds through the dishtowel.
  • Let it drain for about 3-5 minutes or so.
  • Wrap the cheese up in your dish towel and run cool water over it for a few minutes (2-3). Press against the towel to remove excess moisture (kneading it with your fingertips).
  • Dump it in a bowl and add whatever seasonings you want.
People refer to this type of cheese as Paneer but it's a great recipe for beginning cheese makers.

Good luck!!

I giggled louder with each line of your post, but when I hit the middle of your post I just about lost it!!! *snort* I wear the 'Been There, Done That' teeshirt very proudly.

Hijack this thread !?! :24:

This is Mrs Survival, lady! Hijack away! :eclipsee_Victoria:

post it, post it!

That Quick and Easy Cheese, looks like the recipe I use. I freeze whey.

• 2 months later...
Hijack this thread !?! :24:

This is Mrs Survival, lady! Hijack away! :eclipsee_Victoria:

post it, post it!

That Quick and Easy Cheese, looks like the recipe I use. I freeze whey.

I second this emotion :thumbs: and thanks for the quick and easy chesse recipe KMatheson :cele:

whoa!

where is this recipe? I want to look it over.

milk and any acid; vinegar, lemon, lime is the only thing needed...

cream of tarter? and the reason for cream of tarter is? maybe I am missing something.

microwave? you mean the hot whey isn't good enough?

to a boil? and it still melts?

did you use a double boiler or just one pan? did you use a thermometer?

what is the name of this cheese?

come on, don't leave us hanging.. we want more details and information.

• 2 weeks later...

Cajun, not sure which recipe you are talking about, but to make my cream cheese, I start with raw milk and leave it on the counter till it separates. That's it. :) Then I drain it. Yum, LOVE homemade cream cheese.

Archived