MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Your favorite cheese recipe:

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

These first two posts were merged into "Your favorite cheese recipe; Please share." from the Country Homesteading forum. As this first one lost its recipe in several program moves but could not be deleted, this explanation is here, instead.

Thank you for your understanding!

(CAT)

• 3 years later...

I doubt this could be made from powdered milk, but maybe... I get higher cheese yield depending on the butterfat in the milk... which varies by where the goats are in lactation...

My recipe is a tad different and I know in SHTF I will need to make the vinegar kind... BUT LOL for now ours is more of a cream cheese style which we and our customers prefer.

Into a large ss stock pot add

10 qts fresh goats milk (we milk, strain & filter & pour right in... no heating so ours is raw... if you want pasteurirized heat over 165 then cool to about 90)

add 12-20 drops (depends on freshness) liquid rennet to 1/3 c cool water

stir rennet water into milk

stir into milk a slightly rounded 1/4 t of cheese culture (I use MM100 from http://www.dairyconnection.com/cultures.htm#ezal )

put on lid and do not disturb for 12 hrs (we start after AM milk, and leave until bedtime)

line large pan with cheese cloth, pillow case, or receiving blanket) pour curd & whey into cheese cloth, tie up ends, and hang over pan to drain over night.

Next AM take down and it is done. You can flavor, use as is, fridge or freeze. If you are freezing do NOT flavor first.

When we freeze we freeze in 1lb batches in zippie bags. 2 c=1 lb

Flavors we make...

**TEXAS RANGE - A SPECIAL BLEND OF SPICES & HERBS

**GARLIC/GREEN ONION

**STRAWBERRY SUPREME - PERFECT FOR BAGELS

**PINEAPPLE PECAN - A TEXAS FAVORITE WITH A HINT OF BROWN SUGAR

**FRENCH ONION PEPPER **TACO CHEESE - A UNIQUE SOUTH OF THE BORDER INSPIRED TASTE

LOL that is from my sales page...

• 10 months later...

I love cheese of all kinds and nothing on this site has me more fired up than the thought of learning how to make my own--all kinds. Please feel free to post any and all things cheese on this thread--cheese directions, formula notes, etc. Everything! I'd LOVE a central cheese thread.

Creole Cream Cheese

2 Quarts Skim Milk

1/4 Cup Buttermilk

8 drops Liquid Rennet or 2 tablets

Cheesecloth

Combine the skim and buttermilk in a good sized saucepan. Over medium heat bring the mixture to 110 degrees F, stirring occasionally. Pour the heated mixture into a large, non-metal bowl. Add the rennet, stir and cover with cheesecloth. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. After a few hours there should be curds and whey. Line a colander with a double layer of cheesecloth, then spoon the curds into the colander, try to keep them intact. Let this drain for 1 hour or until it is one solid piece. Place gently into a bowl and keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Add whatever seasonings you wish to it. You might also try serving it with sugar and fresh fruit.

Lebanese Cheese

1 quart of plain yogurt

1 tablespoon of salt

paper towels

sieve

2 bowls

1 spoon

Scoop yogurt into the first bowl. Add salt. Stir very well. Line your sieve with paper towels (the better brands) and place it over the second bowl. Dump and scoop / scrape the yogurt/ salt combination into the sieve. Leave alone for 24 hours in your kitchen.

Remove the soft cheese from the paper towel and place into a container into your refrigerator. Serve with lots of olive oil and Lebanese seasonings.

This is a bookmarked recipe I have. I am not using or sharing copyrighted information, since it's also on another website. This is not my recipe!

Crystal's Cream Cheese

Crystal Miller is the mother of 8. She and her husband, Tobin, live in western Washington. Crystal loves to write and encourage the homemaking, homesteading way of life! You can visit Crystal at her blog the Homemaking Homesteader or on her website The Family Homestead.

I N G R E D I E N T S

1 gallon goat's milk (store-bought cow's milk will work too!)

¼ tsp. direct set mesophilic-m culture

2 Tbsp. diluted rennet (add 1 drop of rennet to 5 Tbsp. cool water)

I N S T R U C T I O N S

In a large pot (I use a 6-qt.) add goat's milk. Heat milk to 80 degrees. Remove from heat and add the mesophilic-m culture and stir will. Add the rennet and stir. Cover the pan and let sit undisturbed at room temperature for 12 to 18 hours.

After the time is up, what you have in the pot should look like very thick yogurt. Now you will drain and drip your cheese.

Line a colander with your clean pillowcase. I set this colander in a large bowl to catch the whey. Now drain your thick, yogurt-looking cheese into this cloth. Gather up the cloth and tie it tightly. Now you need to hang it somewhere. I have handles on my kitchen cupboard that work perfectly for this. Wherever you hang it, make sure it is up high enough to allow the whey to drip through the cloth into a bowl below. Now let your cream cheese drain for about 6 to 8 hours. You can speed this process along by stirring the cream cheese about halfway through the time, and you can do it again if you need to.

When it is completed, what you have left in the pillowcase is your cream cheese! You can salt it a bit or not; that is up to you. It is ready to be used right away over a homemade bagel, or you can use it for cooking or even cheesecake! You can also put some of the cream cheese in a food processor and blend it up a lot and you will end up with a great substitute for sour cream.

Mascarpone Cheese

1 quart light cream

1/4 teaspoon tartaric acid

Heat cream to 180F (82 C).

Stir for about 10-15 minutes

The cream should thicken with small flecks of curd.

Using a DOUBLE layer of FINE cheesecloth in a strainer, pour off the whey and let it drain for about an hour.

Put the strainer in a bowl and place it in the refrigerator to drain overnight (or 12 hours).

In the morning, scoop out the cheese and put into an airtight container.

*Note: If you aren't sure what kind of cheese this is, it is used to make Tiramisu.

A friend of mine who wasn't a big milk drinker had the habit of buying milk by the gallon and, when it took on that too-sweet I'm-about-to-spoil taste, he would set it out on the counter. He said about half the time it turned to cottage cheese on its own, and about half the time it rotted.

Mine keeps rotting when I try that.

• 2 months later...

follow the recipe.. do not substitute.

no, you can't set old almost bad milk on the counter and it turns to cottage cheese! ewww!

milk needs to be inoculated with something to create curds.

I need to stay out of these cheese threads... makes me crazy!

I need to stay out of these cheese threads... makes me crazy!

Westie, Darlin'... Don't stay out of them. We need your voice of experience and reason. Not many of us have tried this.

And ya even have *me* wanting to try cheesemaking with lil'DD this summer!!! :happy0203:

:bouquet:

When I was growing up at the age of going in the second grade

Mom would make her own cheese

Straight from the cow.

She milked first.

then she made it the old time way.

I never have tasted anything like Mom's

Hers had a nice texture too.

One of these days; I hope to make some .

I think the older way just tasted better; because my Mom made it.

Even my grandmother's wasn't as good as Moms.

hugs sheila

Archived