MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 6

Cat

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I canned 8 half-pints of strawberry preserves today. I had only canned once before and that was 5 years ago so it was like doing it for the first time almost. I am very excited! I keep going into the kitchen to look at my cute little jars of preserves. I feel so proud of myself for doing it. That probably sounds crazy to all you experienced canners.

I pulled this over from the old thread...

Good for you!! I just started canning and know how excited you must feel. Keep admiring those pretty little jars!

I haven't canned in a week or so, but last night, for dinner I was amazed when I looked at my plate. There was corn relish that I had canned, tomatoes with basil from garden, and pasta salad made with veggies I had dehydrated and stored. I *was* proud of myself!

I will be canning green beans later today. I know I have enough from probably at least a dozen quarts and maybe more. I am not good at guessing but the green beans are producing so well right now that I can barely keep up. That is a good thing though, I must keep reminding myself!

I'm canning corn today. Lots of corn. Like 15 baker's dozen ears of corn. *lies on the floor* I don't even EAT this stuff!

Ah what I do for the love of the Manlings! LOL

Also I've got some potato questions!

Green spots on the taters--can I just cut them out and use the rest? (DH says he does this with any we buy at the store. But I'm wondering if it's safe to can.)

Vi--how much pickle crisp did you use for your potatoes? (Per quart?)

And can I slice them like au gratins rather than cubing? Would this affect canning times at all?

Thanks!

Mish,

I do cut off the green to be honest. Do not slice them or they will be way too soft and make the jars too dense. You need to leave them in pretty good sized cubes.

I used 1 /2 tsp. per quart. ( I used pints and used half that amount.) I was so pleased that they are still firm, more like a store canned one. The liquid may look a bit cloudy from it, but it will be safe. Just be sure to add fresh boiling water to each jar.

Canning corn is a lot of work !! I only freeze corn. Canned corn may turn brown due to the starch in it. ( In case you have not canned corn before. )

After I finish trying to figure out where to store everything in my new fridge, I have 22 pounds of fresh blueberries to freeze. Woo hooo !!! Those will be so wonderful all winter long. If they last that long. My grandson LOVES his Grammie's blueberry pancakes.

What a blessing these berries will be.

I got a new stainless steel French door fridge with ice and water in the door. It has a filter, too. Big pull out freezer drawer with lots of pull out baskets inside to organize things in. All the shelves in the fridge pull out some, too, so I can reach things !!

My other fridge was old and sick. Better to not spend the money on trying to fix the old one up.

LOL--yeah tell me it's a lot of work! I'm on my second canner load and am ready to nap already!

Actually the more I thought about it, the more I'm thinking that I'm going to freeze some of it. The boys aren't going to be around to help much the rest of the week, so I'd be stuck doing all of this myself! *whimper* Do you cook it before you freeze it? Or just cut it off the cob and toss it in a bag?

Gotcha on the taters! I'll jot this down so I remember when I'm ready to do them this week!

Thanks!

Mish, you need to blanch the corn first. I do it just as I would for corn on the cob, then cut it off the cob.

Get lots of ice for the cooling process. It will take a lot. The colder and faster you can get it cooled will make the best tasting corn.

I haven't canned in a week or so, but last night, for dinner I was amazed when I looked at my plate. There was corn relish that I had canned, tomatoes with basil from garden, and pasta salad made with veggies I had dehydrated and stored. I *was* proud of myself!

I had the same reaction when I went to the grocery store. So many things that I just looked at and smiled because I already have it canned and in the pantry.

Just back from WV, where I, along with Big Miss, M, W, and W's dad and step mom, pulled up bean plants, pulled beans, strung beans, snapped beans, and shelled the beans that were too old to snap. Then we canned them. We got 42 quarts, and only one broke (it was a mayo jar and I didn't think it would make it anyway). A few didn't seal so those are in the fridge to eat first.

W's step mom has a small canner (holds 7 qts) and it was interesting to see (but logical when you think about it) that this small one heated up faster and was done sooner than the bigger one. I think I'm going to have to get a smaller one for when I'm doing quarts.

I've got blueberries to can and cherries to pit and can and dry and maybe even try some cherry jam with.

Just back from Maryland, we had a week off and the garden is exploding. Zucchini, summer squash, eggplant (only one), and cucumbers & turnips. DH canned beets and turnips before we left as well as green beans. Blueberry Jam is finished and I hope it will make it until next year as DH likes it better than grape jelly for PBandJ. Blueberries and Raspberries in the freezer.

I think we are going to try and tackle canning the cucumbers this week and another bushel of green beans and start on corn and tomotaes. I took a quick look at my herbs and need to start tackling sage (dried and frozen) and basil. Snap peas are going strong but DD and I eat them as fast as they are picked - LOL!

Can anyone tell me if Cherries are in season? Also, when do plums come into season? I want to try my hand at plum jam.

Thanks!

Have a great one

I had a stranger give me a box of tomatos and a a watermelon yesterday at work. I got 7 quarts and 2 pints of quartered tomatos cooling now, and no foam on any of them. :D

:wormie2:

John

All my plums are still green, both Italian Prune (bluish-purple) and the Golden Plums.

The Manlings and DH pretended to be "farmers" this evening while I was at work and pulled out the potatoes from the tub and box. We got around 30-40 lbs--some of those suckers were bigger than rocks! WHOO! Will can them up this weekend...AFTER I get my new pressue canner.

Then they proceeded to pick the green/purple/spotted beans.

*cries pathetically*

I Do Not have a garden that's big enough to produce all of THIS! It should be impossible. But I've got beans coming out of my ears!

*sigh* Guess I know what I'm doing before work tomorrow!

Oh! One quick question--can I put onions and parsley in the jars with the potatos and beans?

Will it make any difference in canning time??

Thanks!

I canned 6 pint of meatballs today..... they are still in the canner awaiting desteaming.... :)

I searched and searched for a recipe which wouldn't kill us and just couldn't find one. The USDA one was the closest I could get to meatballs (ground meat shaped in balls) and I added garden peppers and onions to the hamburger with some minced garlic and salt/pepper.

I certainly hope that I did it correctly and we won't die of food poisoning..... lol

No tomatoes yet.....got one little guy turing orangish but all the rest are green...... having a frost in mid June didn't help much I guess....arg.

I have califlower out of my ears and my broccoli is starting to flower!! I need to know if I can use those two things with chicken stock and can them for a soup base? You know, califlower, broccoli, onions, garlic, carrots and chix stock..... anyone?

Archived