MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help with Banana Split in a jar

Could some of you experienced canners tell me if this recipe should be canned?

2 cups mashed bananas

1/2 cup lemon juice

2 cups crushed strawberries

1 1/2 cups crushed pineapple

1 cup halved maraschino cherries

1 pkg. powdered pectin

5 cup sugar

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1/2 cup banana rum or dark rum (optional)

Mix lemon juice into bananas immediately after mashing to retain fresh color. Combine all the fruit and pectin in a big pot. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add sugar (and a dab of butter to reduce foaming). Bring to rolling boil, boil hard one minute. Remove from heat and add nuts and rum (if used). Laddle into jars, leave 1/4" headspace. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Serve over ice cream with whipped cream and chocolate syrup. Makes 9 1/2 pints.

Since it has the lemon juice, I would say it is Ok, along with the other high acid fruits. I would use bottled lemon juice since it will be more acidic than fresh lemon juice most likely. That way you will know.

Sounds good to me !

I remember seeing freeze dried ice cream, though ! http://www.nitro-pak...dried-ice-cream

Violet, they lie about that stuff tasting good. We bought some at the Kennedy Space Center several years ago. It reminded me of those marshmallow circus peanuts. I was sorely disappointed! We're just going to have to stock up on ice cream ingredients and a hand cranked churn!

This recipe does sound good.. Of course, it does involve rum and I am canning jam today. I feel a repeat of this day coming on...

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43703&st=0&p=361573&hl=+refreshing%20+summer%20+beverage&fromsearch=1entry361573

Archived