MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stay informed...

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

This is just "so you know". Fear itself is not productive. But we should be aware of the way things could go and understand the danger.

Massive flu outbreak could happen at any moment, WHO warns

The world could at any time be faced with a massive flu outbreak like those in 1918 or 1968 that killed tens of millions of people, the World Health Organization warned, urging countries to be prepared.

"History has told us that no one can stop a pandemic. The question is: when is it going to happen?" WHO spokeswoman Margaret Chan told reporters.

"I don't think anybody has the answer to it. We have to be on the lookout for any time, any day," she added.

Deadly avian influenza, which has killed 55 people in Asia since resurfacing in 2003, has the potential to become a major human pandemic if the virus were to mutate and allow human-to-human transmission, Chan said.

The HN51 strain of bird flu, which has killed hundreds of thousands of birds, constitutes one of several "warnings from nature" -- the first since 1968, according to Chan, Hong Kong's director of health from 1994 to 2003.

"We collectively, particularly national authorities, have to take a very conscientious decision: if you are given early signals and if you are not prepared, you have a very difficult case to answer if indeed it happens," she said.

"Our experience is that if you are prepared for a pandemic, you get less impact in terms of mortality, morbidity, social and economic disruption."

Chan admitted that preparation for a possible flu pandemic could divert resources from other health emergencies like the fight against AIDS or polio, but said such measures would improve the tracking of life-threatening diseases.

After Indonesia earlier this week announced its first human deaths from bird flu, and cases were reported in Siberian poultry, Chan warned that "the scope is getting wider and wider".

The WHO's greatest fear is that human influenza and bird flu could somehow combine to unleash a pandemic on the world.

"With winter coming, we need to enhance our vigilance," she said.

She reminded countries struck by bird flu to limit contact between humans and live poultry, as well as contact between different species in live markets.

Such rules were implemented in Hong Kong when bird flu first appeared in 1997, and no cases -- either in animals or humans -- have been reported there since, Chan added.

The expert said the Geneva-based WHO was still awaiting samples taken from migratory birds in China, 6,000 of which have died in Qinghai province since May.

Chinese researchers believe the strain afflicting their birds could be even more deadly than the HN51 strain.

"We have impressed upon them the importance of sharing these specimens. We will not give up our effort: we owe it to the world, it's a global health security issue," Chan told reporters.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050722/1/3tobx.html

Cat, you are right, the message is right, we never know when and where or what will happen.

If you can, be sure to get your flu shots as soon as you can in case they run out like they did last year.

Build up your immune system now. The flu shot has the strain that hit the world last year. Take your vitamins, eat healthy, exercise. Those of you with children in school, teach your children to wash their hands often. That is usually the no 1 reason children get sick in school, they share everything including colds and flu. I did get last years flu shot because I am a diabetic, but I carry hand sanitizer (home made with aloe vera gel and alcohol.) Use sanitizer often also between washings. If you work in retail carry small sanitizers in your pocket. Use them often. Money does transfer germs. Get your rest and drink plenty of water. When I was a nurse I very seldem got sick. I did practice what I preached.

DH and I were talking about this. He said many who died in 1918 were the elderly, children and people who weren't healthy. I asked him if we would be considered to be in the elderly group. He says no. I am remembering last years flu vaccines which were supposedly limited and then in the end they had too much. I have been diagnosed diabetic a couple of years ago but my blood sugar levels have always been good. I drove by the hospital one day (where the vaccine was offered) and when I saw buses and vans for the elderly and lines out the front door and around the corner of the building (and no doubt all down the hall of the building inside) I decided to pass it by. I agree with Safetylady about keeping yourself healthy. And that brings a few questions:

Opinions on vitamins seems to change so much. What is everyone taking?

Is there a frugal way to make hand sanitizer? Did I read somewhere rubbing alcohol works? Seems like the waterless product would work best for carrying with you.

Also, when I use a public restroom I try to use a towel, if available, to turn on/off the water and to open the door of the bathroom then hopefully the wastebasket is near the door so you can pitch it in there.

I used to think my old aunties were making up funny stories when they said money was dirty but since I've heard some folks do carry money in odd and unclean places. Yuck!

Multi vitamin, fish oil, A,E,C. We make sure to drink at least 8 glasses of water. I like lemon or lime slice in mine. I also drink the first glass hot in the morning. I drink a Tablespoon of unpasturized vinegar every day. Don't know if it helps but got used to the taste. Little or no sugar throughout the day. Sometimes drink rose hip tea with honey. Just a drop. Hand sanitizer: 1 cup aloe vera gel with 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol. Straight alcohol is very drying. You may add a tablespoon of glycerin to it also. I put a teaspoon of my favorite perfume in it and even dh uses it. Three servings of fruit a day. Hi vitamin C fruit.It goes on and on

Guest Guest

Great ideas! I use the hand sanitizer after I've been to the copy machine and printer, and also crank out my towels before I wash my hands, then use it to also open the door, like Peaceful does. I am afraid of getting severely ill again, and fear that if I were to get the Avian Flu, I would not survive due to respiratory problems that have persisted since I was so ill 2 years ago.

I sure appreciate the recipe for making a hand sanitizer, as they are so expensive. Thanks so much!

Thanks, Cat. This would be why people used to be quarantined with communicable diseases. Also brings to mind the Levitical laws and the restrictions from touching the dead and being considered "unclean" for a certain amount of days. When I first read that I thought it was odd but can now see it's based on infection/contamination.

Next time I go to the cemetary I want to check that out. I know there is a section at the old cemetary for children and soldiers.

I'm also remembering my old auntie (not really a family member but one of those wonderful people who becomes part of your family regardless of blood) said her mother used to go out to help people during epidemics and sickness but she died (of throat or lung cancer) in 1905 when she was 43 years old so whoever she helped nurse was before that flu epidemic. I do remember my aunt saying sometimes whole families would be gone.

Wash hands and counter tops/cutting boards when processing poultry. I use the Clorox solution used in restaurants. Two tablespoons of Clorox in a gallon of water to wipe surfaces. Rubber gloves, latex when dealing with my chickens, though if the virus becomes air borne that won't work, need respiratory protection. It has come to the point of killing chickens in part of the world.

wash your hands, wash your hands and wash your hands....most true influenzas are droplet spread...which means someone sneezes or coughs and small droplets become airborne...they land on people and surfaces....if you are standing in line next to or a couple of ppl down from them and they sneeze...it carries enough force to propell those droplets right at you a couple of ppl down the line...the best prevention is boosting your immune system with vitamins and minerals...pleanty of fluids...and please get a flu shot this year....CDC (Center for Disease Controll in Atlanta, GA) believes this is going to be a very rough flu season...I am going to make DH get one this year so i dont drag it home to him on my uniforms and shoes....hope everyone stays well and doesnt get this...Q

Just spoke with my son who is a chef for a very large retirement cneter. There is already a continguency plan if the bird flu comes to the US. The facility will be under a lock down situation to avoid the residents from getting the flu. Every worker will either have to suit up in contamination uniforms, (surgical type), wear masks and latex gloves until everyone gets vaccinated. Our state is really into prepardness.

I read once (long time ago, and who knows where now), that 78% of all paper money has fecal matter on it, and 99% of it has cocaine on it. I don't know if it's true or not, but just the thought is enough that I never eat or touch my face after handling money.

Guest Guest

I dont know about the fecal matter but the money does pass through the hands of drug lords so no telling what is on it. Sickening to say the least. I seldom carry any money but my debit card is readily available. Its a lot cleaner.

Karen

Archived