MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

~Need a menu!

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I need food suggestions for Carrie's grad open house. It will be at the ranch under a rustic shelter in the woods....outhouse included!

Somehow, little mints and antipasto trays seem out of place! LOL! But it's got to be stuff I don't have to cook...no hotdogs or hamburgers, etc.

I guess a crockpot of bbq beef would work if I can order it cooked.... what else?

[This message has been edited by PeggyJo (edited July 22, 2002).]

Guest Guest

A bbq sounds great for that kind of atmosphere...bbq beef with potato salad, corn on the cob, baked beans, apple pies, cherry pies...just simple food that will stick to the ribs.

Even sandwiches made on foot long bread with lunchmeat, sliced as needed can be made in advanced.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm about to start cooking dinner. Tonight we're having cubed steak with fresh squeezed limes, fried potatoes in my cast iron skillet *per the other thread currently going about cast iron*, salad and probably corn with butter.

------------------

d5.jpg

What about hot wings? Lots of those come pre-sauced and packaged in the frozen section. Summer fruit kababs worked for one outdoor party I did- Apple slices, cherries, pineapple etc. lightly splashed with a touch of lemon juice to keep from turning brown and stuck into a cantalope for a bright colored display. Lots of carrot/broccoli etc. come prepared and you just have to put out dipping sauces. If you go over to the meat section in the grocery, you'll spot packages of ready to serve BBq beef, then put out some rolls and plenty of napkins..LOL. Maybe a tray of heat and serve potato skins?

Just piping in.

LOL

Cookie

Guest Guest

Rustic? no cooking?

trays of meat and cheese, vegetables (Costco or Sams or Super Wal-mart already cut!) and dip, cold beans! , potato or macaroni salad, bread- perhaps the little rolls, fruit - what ever is in season, order some kind of cake and if you are doing ice cream then use dry ice.

Pre-made! that is pretty rustic!

If you are doing a meal, that is one thing, but just a party, that is different.

Westbrook is right, just the trays are great and people don't expect a lot. I think I would add a fruit tray to that also. smile.gif

If you are doing a meal, then the BBQ is great and just have a couple salads, Baked Beans, veggie and fruit trays and cake. People really shouldn't expect you to go to a lot of work. smile.gif

Tell Carrie congrats for me. smile.gif I wish her well in all she attemps to do in her life.

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

If it is a meal you could always boil chicken ahead and plop it on a BBQ or in a pot with BBQ sauce!!! I dunno, just a suggestion!!!!! Everyone here has so many ideas.....I struggle to get my brain to work as great as yours. Hee! Hee!

We had our son's graduation party last month and decided to go with mostly cold stuff...we had been to many open houses that month with hot foods and with the warm weather, no one was eating it up as they should.

Our menu for 150+ was as follows and most of it was all gone!

Cold cuts (ham , turkey , hard salami)

Variety of cheeses

Large veggie trays

Pickle and olive tray

Sloppy Joes

Homemade buns (frz. bread dough)

Baked Beans

Desserts we tried to keep light but not jellos and puddings.

Alot of fresh fruit, fruit salads, sheet cakes with cool whip etc.

Good luck, PJ and blessings on your daughter's party!!

------------------

eaglew.jpg

Guest Guest

How about some yummy b-bq'd ribs? You cook them right on your grill...Was at a B-BQ last week and had those...they were delicious!! nosh.gif

MrsZou

------------------

50_p1689.jpg

Guest Guest

BBQ beef, buns, veggie trays/dip, fruit trays/dip, cheese slices, wings (maybe), punch, coffee, cake, ice cream. But the only thing gauranteed is the cake, it's already ordered! grin.gif

The party is August 24 from 4 - 8 PM. Hopefully it will be cool enough for a bonfire. Then Ill also bring marshmallows and sticks.

• 3 weeks later...