MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Low carb (or any special diet) and disaster preparedness..........

While prepping for a disaster, would you stock only low-carb stuff, or would you 'go off' your diet for the duration?

I mean, you can only stockpile so much tuna, pb, nuts and SPAM!!! Would you stock chix noodle soup (already liquid- no additional need for water); ramen soups (the noodles need very little water and hardly any cooking); canned veggies (other than green beans) and fruits; chili and beef stew; etc???

I am second guessing myself because you are only supposed to stock what you would normally eat (a disaster is NOT the time to experiment! ) and keep rotating it out, but a lot of this stuff I wouldn't NORMALLY eat--YET--I ate them in my 'previous life' (before low carb) and I would eat it IF I had to, but it worries me about consuming it NOW (as in keeping it rotated) so that it doesn't go bad. If I were to put up lots of high-carb stuff (because I wouldn't be worried about it THEN) I am worried that the thrifty gene in me wouldn't want the stuff to go to waste in the meantime (as in eating it NOW while there is no disaster).

Maybe I'll stock the stuff I think would be worthwhile in an emergency and just clean out my cupboards every few months by donating to a food bank/food drive. ( I'm not sure I can AFFORD to do that though.)

What would YOU do?????????????

(((((midnight mom))))) it's always nice to see ya around!

I've done the low carb South Beach diet and while the first phase is very restrictive for 2 weeks, the 2nd phase starts to slowly reintroduce healthy carbs...our bodies need carbs, most notably healthy ones, so a thought might be to store those things that would fit that criteria, i.e. most fruits, whole grain breads and starches like cereals, english muffins, bagels, crackers, bran muffins, pasta, pita, popcorn, rice, rice noodles, soba noodles, tortillas...veggies like green peas, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, winter squash, yams, carrots...bittersweet and semisweet chocolate, etc...the list goes on and on...

That's a way you can do it, which is probably not what ya wanna do lol...The only alternative is balance. Everyone is different, but I've always been of the firm opinion that most things within reason are ok in moderation. I know that for some people, certain things are triggers, but people's natures are very interesting when they're pressed and forced to tighten their belts...we all tend to rise to the occasion and be responsible with the choices and decisions we hafta make.

Personally, I have my long term storage stash, and I'm canning up a storm...I'd much rather have a bowl of beef stew that is my recipe than a can of spam any day. That obviously takes time to prepare ourselves, but for me, especially having gone through a few natural disasters myself, in the long run will bring more comfort to me than a can of Ragu ever could.

Since you are concerned with rotation.. consider this...

Store in a long term envrionment wheat! you can't go wrong with wheat.

If you want to stay on low-carb... can meat! you can have all the meat you want. The problem comes in with getting some greens... that is where the wheat comes in! sprout it!

you only need to eat meat and sprouts for a couple of weeks and it only takes a day or two to get your sprouts going.

If the disaster lasts longer then expected.. then you will need the calories anyway to survive and you can make bread (use sprouts in bread!) and if the meat runs out.. you can use the wheat to make a mock meat.. seitan!

You can dry zucchini as well as some other vegetables, placed in the liquid from the meat you canned and make stews and soups.

just a thought.

• 4 years later...

I've been thinking about several things lately, such as how do you peeps who store all of those dried beans and rice expect to rehydrate and cook them???

Since I am on my own now, AND have to consider how a diet of legumes and grains would affect my health, etc, AND since I live in an Apt and can't/couldn't/wouldn't want to do much (if any) outdoor cooking, I am going to use this thread to share my "battle plan."

Beans:

Don't usually eat them or cook them. However, I have decided to store some anyway...........canned beans...............as in refried, pork 'n beans, ranch, etc. Stuff that I used to eat, but as low in carbs/sugar as possible. Don't need to use precious water to rehydrate them, or fuel to cook 'em as they don't taste have bad straight out of the can.If nothing else, I could always barter them. Sooooooooooooo, time to start looking for sales.......though they are NOT high on my priority list.

Rice and pasta:

I will only store what I get from the gub'mnt "commodities" handouts.
:cheeky-smiley-067:

Sugar:

Don't use it at all. Have not plans to put any bye. Splenda can be bought cheaply enough for me to store. I am also beginning to collect SF kool-aid, etc, even some of the SF stuff that has electrolytes in it. I have been slowly adding to my supply of SF/no sugar added/diet cranberry juice.

Don't want to hear any comments about how you would rather store stevia, agave, honey, etc.
:beat_deadhorse:

That is YOU. I am talking about ME!

Canning/canned meats:

Don't have a canner. Not gonna go out and buy one. Couldn't afford the initial investment not the onlgoing one of jars etc...............so I am a SPAM putter-upper. I only buy the bacon flavored or hickory flavored though. Will also be using my EBT (food stamps) to buy canned chix, beef, turkey etc from Costco. I would never have enough budge in my regular budget for such a large outlay at one time, but the EBT isn't "real" money to me, so it doesn't hurt so much to spend a large chunk at one time for one purchase.

Soups, broths, & veggies:

Campbell' cream of + whatever = good eatin'.

Chicken stock.

Beef broth.

Green beans, beets, sauerkraut, no sugar added applesauce, coconut milk.

Kraft Mac n ' Cheese. Toss the noodles, the cheese packets are wonderful!

Can't think of anything else right now. If you are diabetic or on any kind of a 'restriced' diet, chime in. :welcome4:

Edited by Midnightmom

Daughter is on celiac diet and cannot have corn in any way shape or form. She can have beans though and loves them. Oddly enough, my sister's middle daughter has had to quit eating grains of any kind (odd because daughter is adopted, niece is not) including rice. She too can eat beans. I can eat grains but not beans. Sister and kids are very likely going to wind up living with me soon. I have lots of grains and beans stored.

I do can the beans. I try to keep several dozen jars canned up. I also can meat and what ever I get from the garden. I do dry some garden stuff instead of canning it depending on what it is. I have cut my sugar consumption way back, but not out and don't like artificial sweeteners at all. So I do have a good supply of sugar. I also have a ton of peanut butter and salad dressings from the salvage store. (The good, organic stuff is always sold cheapest cause most people who shop salvage don't want organic.) I have a bunch of #10 cans of veggies that I'm hoping to dehydrate this summer. They were cheap at the salvage.

We normally eat from our "storage" and I've near about given up going to the store.

i think that if TSHTF and all goes to POT""""you will need the carbs for energy,,,,,,i eat bread once in awhile but i like taters......and noodles and all noodles are good to have on hand...think of others that might come and stay with you.....i keep chicken broth on hand and tomato soup and cream of mushroom soup on hand all thye the time and i have yep! you guessed it top raamen for the kids also for a starter to make soup........think of all the work that you will be doing and the distractions that will not be here and all the work that has to be done and energy that you will need........WATCH THE PBS SPECIALS..;;;;;;; 1800 house and 1940's house and frontier house.....they will make you think...take care and keep the faith

It's a fair worry for us as well. We do not respond well to carbs and eat them as little as possible.

If it wasn't for those pesky chocolate chip cookies we'd not be tempted!

We also have noodles and other carb-loaded food in storage. If we get real hungry I guess it wouldn't matter to react poorly on carbs. Better some food then none food.

And perhaps it's a barter item?

Rotation now is indeed a problem. Perhaps I have to organize a half yearly party for all sons friends and have them (studying poor guys) pick and take what we have surplus.

Not everyone in my family appreciates low carb, so I stock up on everything. I stock white and brown rice (I freezethe brown rice). I stock Dreamfield's Pasta when it goes on sale, or I have coupons. I stock all sorts of whole grains, and I stock all sorts of beans. I also stock canned meats and tuna.

I'm of the thinking that when TSHTF, my ability to turn carbs into stored energy simply by smelling them will become an advantage. I remember when I was in my early teens, and first having weight troubles, I went to see a doctor, and he told me that my genetics were actually really good-- that in times of famine or other trouble, I'd be able to survive better on less, while people like "That actress, Michelle Pfieffer or whatever her name is, she'll starve in a day. . ."

So I'm trying to stock everything-- but the most nutrient packed versions of "everything." I'm currently "lower-carb", simply because I'm trying to get rid of excess baggage (and trying to convert as much as I can to useable muscle) but, when it all goes down, I'm thinking I'll have plenty of hard work to deal with all those carbs. So whole wheat, blue corn, etc. . .

And yes, Ramen. By itself, it's pretty empty of nutrition (although good for when sick and rebalancing the system), it's a good base for soups-- just add veggies and meat scraps! yum!

My problem is: I hate beans. :yuk: I hate their texture-- so much that I don't even know if I like the taste or not, because the texture gets to me everytime. I'm growing them anyhow, since my mom and dad will eat them, and if I can eventually get an excess, that's good barter. Still, I'd prefer to find my way to liking them-- anyone got any suggestions? (I'm currently attempting to grow Scarlet Runner Beans and Christmas Lima Beans. We'll see how they turn out-- the peas went a little, um, insane, much to my chagrined delight. . .)

My problem is: I hate beans. :yuk: I hate their texture-- so much that I don't even know if I like the taste or not, because the texture gets to me everytime. I'm growing them anyhow, since my mom and dad will eat them, and if I can eventually get an excess, that's good barter. Still, I'd prefer to find my way to liking them-- anyone got any suggestions? (I'm currently attempting to grow Scarlet Runner Beans and Christmas Lima Beans. We'll see how they turn out-- the peas went a little, um, insane, much to my chagrined delight. . .)

I don't like limas or canned peas. I was actually talking about only putting up pre-cooked, flavored beans--like refried, pork n' beans, ranch flavored, etc. Have you thought of trying that?

i think that if TSHTF and all goes to POT""""you will need the carbs for energy,,,,,,i eat bread once in awhile but i like taters......and noodles and all noodles are good to have on hand...think of others that might come and stay with you.....i keep chicken broth on hand and tomato soup and cream of mushroom soup on hand all thye the time and i have yep! you guessed it top raamen for the kids also for a starter to make soup........think of all the work that you will be doing and the distractions that will not be here and all the work that has to be done and energy that you will need........

I really don't expect any "company," but IF my children return to the roost, they know how I eat and they more or less follow a restricted diet themselves so they don't develop Type II (which runs on BOTH sides of the family).

BTW-carbs don't GIVE me energy................they STEAL it!

I don't like limas or canned peas. I was actually talking about only putting up pre-cooked, flavored beans--like refried, pork n' beans, ranch flavored, etc. Have you thought of trying that?

Well, I dunno that I'll have peas enough for canning. My garden (a community plot) I'm really using this year to learn the "how-to". So, I don't actually have loads of (sugar snap) peas-- just, the ones I have are vigourous and bearing heavily (yay!). So we're eating them fresh. Next season I'll know to use a much bigger trellis and give them more room. And now I know that I can, indeed, grow the cutest vegetable in the garden. Guh, they're adorable . . . ^_^

I generally didn't like lima beans, but last year in our CSA we got some fresh limas, and they were waaaay better than the frozen/ canned horrors I'd attempted to eat before, so I'm gonna try some fresh limas of my own this year. It may be that if I can my own, they'll taste better.

Again, though, the problem with many beans I've tried is the texture more than the taste-- I won't touch refried beans or pork and beans. How does one do ranch flavored?

See, it's the mushy, slightly mealy texture (like in frozen limas) that I loathe-- makes me gag, literally. (I have the same problem with hummus). I found last year that fresh limas are much more crisp and pleasing-- perhaps fresh beans are the same way?

Is there a way to prepare pre-cooked or dry beans in such a way to avoid that mushy/mealyness? If so, that would pretty much solve my problem . . .

Have you tried mixing hamberger with refried beans [higher ratio of hamberger first] and see if that would mask the texture? Putting puree'd/refried beans in stew might mask texture too. Just use as a thickener. You can also cook ....um, something..with ground bean flour. [check in the Kitchen forum, its in there somewhere] and that might be a way to use them.

MtRider [ who has been very sneaky with getting DH to eat beans..... :whistling: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • 4 months later...

Resurrecting this thread because I came across another good idea. :bouquet:

I'm going to start buying and storing gelatin. You heard me. Gelatin! It's an inexpensive form of protein and can be used in many ways.

I can mix it with my sugar free drink mixes for a variety of jello flavors.

It can be used in place of eggs to make pumpkin pie and cheese cake.

It can be added to the broth of soups to make them more hardy.

It can be added to canned broth to make it more "filling."

Does anyone have any other ideas for how to use gelatin???

In my family, we have 2 normal eaters, 1 diabetic and 2 GFCF etc. with multiple allergies. Our storage is based on Rice, Lentils, some other beans, and dehydrated foods. I do have alternative grains, Quinoa (higher protein) , sorghum and millet. I store some rice noodles for the GFCF, and some dreamfields for the diabetic. The other 2 will have to deal with GF because I can always make more with the grains I have stored.

Beans have different textures, if you dont like them whole, try the lentils, or you can grind your beans and use bean flour, make something like Hummus out of all types of beans, you can also use the flour to cook or as a thickener. I have a friend from Brazil that makes gravies out of beans and serves them over meats, potatoes, whatever.

If the SHTF, I think my diabetic (type2) hubby will probably be able to work off the sugars he eats and lose that extra weight and it probably wont be such a problem...he is never low sugar, only high,,,

And my son and I can eat some of our allergens, they are not life or death allergies, but for him more of comfort, for me I get painful hives all thru my mouth, and spend days in the toilet, but they wont actually kill me. However, I am planning our food storage around our allergies and dietary needs so that we can be as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.

If you get hives with an allergy it is definitely life threatening. You could go into anaphylactic shock and die with that type allergy.

My daughter cannot digest corn and has to be on gluten free as well. It makes her extremely sick to eat them. That sort of intestinal reaction can rapidly lead to dehydration and death from shock. Very small amounts in her diet can cause long term intestinal damage.

I am very allergic to roses and every fruit in the rose family(cherries, apples, peaches, pears, blackberries, raspberries, apricots, etc). It is the life threatening type of allergy with anaphylaxis.

Just some "food storage" for thought, most of the food storage lists out there are for bare minimum, keep you alive, starvation diets. If you are not storing more that the "required" basics your going to loose weight very quickly.

I have wheat allergies so 1/2 of my wheat storage is Quinoa and buckwheat. I store turbano sugar and honey, as well as regular sugar for canning and barter. I have canned bacon, cheese, butter, most of which I found at the scratch and dent store for cheap. I also know wild edible for the desert, so I know I can eat goat nuts, nopales, mesquite pods for flour. etc.

Resurrecting this thread because I came across another good idea. :bouquet:

I'm going to start buying and storing gelatin. You heard me. Gelatin! It's an inexpensive form of protein and can be used in many ways.

I can mix it with my sugar free drink mixes for a variety of jello flavors.

It can be used in place of eggs to make pumpkin pie and cheese cake.

It can be added to the broth of soups to make them more hardy.

It can be added to canned broth to make it more "filling."

Does anyone have any other ideas for how to use gelatin???

Umm yeah GUMMY BEARS!!!!

My own personal recipe...

http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/homemade_gummy_bears