MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need some help....

cartoongirl

Could someone please tell me how much food we should have on hand in the event a pandemic hits this year?

I have read on this board people have grain grinders and such....regular old flour has a 1 year shelf life at least. Why buy a grain grinder? Should I buy a grain grinder? If the pandemic does hit this year how long can one expect to be self sufficient? I am sure this has all been covered somewhere here....could'nt we just wear gloves and a mask and follow proper hygiene if needing to go out to public places?

Am I just out to lunch here....I know this is serious stuff and maybe I don't understand how serious it could become. Please fill me in.

Epidemic, pandemic whichever you choose to call it have a tendency to make the rounds rwice, that could take between 3 and 6 months. Think long term on flour, if there is no one growing the grains it could be a year and a half before a new crop could come in, because no one is willing to work in close proximity with others. but some could store their own or even grow their own, but you need to grind it to use it. gloves and the special mask, not just the parer or cloth ones, as the microbes are so small that they don't filter them out as the chinese found out when their health workers came down with sars. This is the way I see it. Others may have different answers for you.

I haven't really considered the "nuts & bolts" of trying to avoid a flu pandemic/epidemic. I have been hoping to begin studying the 1918 outbreak in more detail, but I've gotten sidetracked with kids' stuff.

What I do think, off the top of my head (and for what THAT'S worth! I figure it would take more time to mutate. (Or at least I'd sure hope so, IF it does.)

hello and Welcome!!!

Erica,

First.. take a deep breath.. come on over to the table, sit down have a glass of wine or 3 and let's talk.

comfy?

It doesn't matter how many times we have discussed this topic, each time we learn something new. Each time someone new comes and asks a question it sparks other questions and answers.. this is a *Good* thing.

Mind you this is only my opinion...

There are three levels of preparing to think about.

the first is... Short term.. you know 72 hours.. we sometimes refer to as a BOB. BOB stands for Bug Out Bag.

A BOB is a back pack that is filled with articles you would need in the event you had to evacuate NOW! Energy bars? water? vitamins? space blanket? flash light? fire starter? what ever you think you need. The older bigger children and adults carry more, the little ones carry only what they are capable of. Not to forget crayons, coloring books for the little ones, books to read, their favorite dolly or teddy and jammies!

A BOB might also have a little cash and copies of important papers ????

The next level is a couple of months. If you decide 1 month or 6 months.. that is up to you, but a couple of months is not so hard to plan if you only store what you already eat. Work on a week, then duplicate that week into a month, 2 months ... more? This will include water, vitamins, some comfort foods. Also a means to prepare what you have stored, cook stove, BBQ, fire place??. If no power how will you light your house for evening supper? do you have a pet? stock up for them too.

The last level is my favorite level.. Long Term Storage. I am storing it and I hope to never have to see it! this is where whole grains, a grinder and like items comes in handy. This is in the event that it takes a year or 2 or more for life to get back to normal. Will this ever happen? I don't know..hope not, but if it should... I am ready. If it doesn't happen, I rotate my grains every 5-10 years and my livestock gets it.

This is something you want to start now but with thought and a direction. Your spouse may or may not agree... it doesn't matter. If he thinks you are nuts... buy two of what ever canned goods you usually buy. Not all at once but each time you go to the store.

there are things you already have you can use so you don't need to buy anything new.. Somewhere is a check list that offers ideas.

ok, I have done all the talking... have another glass of wine.. and feel free to ask away!

Archived