MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cauliflower...

Guest Guest

It's one of those things I know we should eat, and I just can't make it go down with just a bit of butter. tongue.gif

So I have learned if I want to have the family eat it, I have to use sauces.

One way they like it is to mix about half cup of salad dressing (Miracle Whip) with about a tablespoon of yellow mustard. Spread on cooked cauliflower, then sprinkle on grated sharp cheese.

This makes a really beautiful "presentation" if you cook the entire head of cauliflower, then place it in a casserole dish, spread the sauce over the entire head (may need more sauce), and sprinkle on the cheese... then heat in a preheated oven until the cheese melts (10 min.?).

Of course, I just cut up the cauliflower so it cooks quickly, drain, and put the sauce & cheese on in the pan. rolleyes.gif

Another time, I just drained the cooked cauliflower and poured on their favorite Ranch dressing. They LIKED it!! smile.gif

And tonight, I was out of regular Ranch, so I chose the new Kraft Three Cheese Ranch dressing. Even my 17 year old son said it was good!!! shocked.gif

So how do you eat it???

------------------

cat.jpg

I like using cauliflower in place of potatoes in potato salad. Cook cauliflower, but not to the point where it falls apart. Then cool and mix with your normal potato salad ingredients. (This is great for low-carbers, too)

------------------

madkat2.gif

Take one large cauliflower, break into florets and steam until just done, adding in the green parts of the leaves, but omitting the stalks. Put on one side. Saute a large onion, finely chopped, with one clove of garlic, finely chopped, in two ounces of butter until soft, add the cauliflower pieces, salt and pepper and two pints of vegetable stock (or chicken, if you are not a vegetarian). Simmer until cauli is soft, but not breaking, over a gentle heat, say 20 minutes. Leave to cool for a while, then blend in a liquidiser. Return to pan, add double (heavy) cream to taste, adjust seasoning, and heat through (do not boil or it will curdle due to the cream). Serve hot with chopped chive or parsley garnish and lots of home-made bread. The soup can be cooled and frozen before the cream is added.

this is not a recipe from a book, but one which I made up over the years. Other things can be added or subracted as you like. Nutmeg is nice on the top for serving (just a wee sprinkle, though), or milk can be used instead of the cream.

Hope you enjoy it if you decide to have a go.

Thanks Lowie....that really sound delicious!! I Love cauliflower.

Cat,

You know what your kids might like....deep fried cauliflower.

Separate into florets -lighty toss in a little flour...it helps the batter to stick....dip into batter (i use pancake batter it works great) and deep fry....boy o boy they are yummy!

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bcUHRh9AutwpY9DM

cauliflower salad? (formally potato salad)

Low Carb? oh please tell me more??

I want to make it for a friend and I love cauliflower anyway it is served! so I know I will love it!

can't use sweet pickles because of the sugar so help needed here.

Westbrook - when I make my "Mock Potato Salad" (cauliflower salad) I just mix the cooked cauliflower with:

mayonaise

mustard

sliced black olives

chopped celery

green onion

dill pickle relish

chopped red bell pepper

crumbled crispy bacon

salt

pepper

I don't measure anything - just add all to your tastes. All the ingredients are low or no carb.

------------------

madkat2.gif

Update on Mock Potato salad...

so far I have served this to 5 people...and so far all have said....nothing! can you believe that! no one said a thing about the change....but...

They had chipmonk cheeks and a busy chewing action was going on! Heaping mounds on their plates for second helpings! I made enough to fill a 16 qt stock pot and in 2 days it was gone.

What a wonderful recipe!