MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bread Machine Recipes

Guest Guest

Okay, I hate to admit it, but I bought a bread machine. It was so cheap ($40 at Walmart), and I've been too busy to make any bread in ages. I still plan on making some by hand sometimes though!

Apologies aside, I wanted to know if anyone had a good homemade recipe for whole wheat bread to be made in a machine.(at least 3/4 whole wheat flour, not white flour with a little whole wheat thrown in for color). You do have to use special recipes, right? Or can you just use any old bread recipe.

Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

I didn't realize it was unacceptable to own a bread machine, lol. I really can't knead it on my own anymore because of arthritis. I have adaptive devices for everything from gardening to reaching things. There are two types of machines...the expensive type has differnt blades and all and according to my friend who owns one is better but I don't personally notice any difference in my bread that I make with a cheap one and hers except that she can make cinnamon bread (which I can too if I use just part of the cycle)

My machine says you can adapt recipes by 1)just changing the order you add them and the temperature of ingredients to go along with your machine's instructions and 2) stopping after the mix cycle the first few times and checking dough consistency and making adjustments if necessary (after you figure it out, you can do it to begin with and forget the checking)

We either make 100% WW or the following recipe, depending on my mood, but you can substitute some white for whole wheat flour in a recipe...again...you might want to check for dough consistency the first few times.

Here is the WW/white recipe I use - I suppose one could use honey in place of the molasses if preferred. We love the taste with molasses, though. You can also, as I said, use more WW and less white

1 package of quick rising yeast (it doesn't have to be special bread machine yeast)

1 3/4 Cup WW flour (best if you mill your own but not essential)

1 C bread flour

3 Tablespoons brown sugar (for the yeast)

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 Cup water, very warm

1/4 Cup molasses

1 Tablespoon melted shortning

Put ingredients into pan in the order given if your machine says to put dry ingredients first. If your machine says to put wet ingredients in first, just reverse the order.

The original recipe said to choose the white bread setting, but I use the WW one and choose and high crust setting, but that is preference. I like a good crust, but it may very well be too brown for some so you might want to use the medium first. If you use the white setting, the original recipe said to put it on high crest setting as well. Adding a tablespoon of caroway seeds to the dry ingredients is good, too, if you have them on hand.

Bread is soooo wonderful, esp. in the winter, when it goes good with any kind of soup. My kids' favorite snack used to be homemade half and half (that is what I made before the advent of the bread machines) and unsweetened apple butter. Sweet but healthy.

I almost forgot, Philomena: Since you aren't used to a bread machine, I will give you a warning. I assume that since you bought it at Walmart, your machine is the kind with the little pinwheel type blade at the bottom of the pan. This blade often stays embedded in the loaf when you take it out of the pan. One time, this happened and I left town, came back, found the bread moldy and threw it away along with my blade. I had to get out my manufacturer's info and buy a new blade. Not expensive, just a hassle. And when I was sick recently, a friend brought me some of her bread..and I found her blade inside it!

Heh nothing wrong with a bread machine. I love mine. I have arthritis so it helps not to have to knead the bread. The bread comes out great. That little blade thing is a problem. I took a loave into work once and forgot about it. A lady took the last slice home with her and had a nice surprise with the blade in her slice. I was lucky as she returned it the next day. I try to remember to take it out of the bread as soon as it is cool enough to handle. Enjoy your machine. There are so many types of brad you cna make in it. My dh's favorite is french bread.

Bread machines are the coolest invention since microwaves and the internet. Just pulled mine down off the shelf. Mine was a birthday present from my daughter and DH. Like getting a vacuum cleaner! The breadmaker is easier 'cept you still half to pay attention. Like someday they'll build a washer and dryer that will fold your clothes and put them away where they belong.

I put the breadmaker on dough cycle then take the kneaded dough out and place in a regular greased pan, let rise and bake 55 mins at 350. Perfect bread, course I put a whole lotta love into the recipe!

Hi there,

I got my bread machine at an estate sale for $20. I use it pretty often and think I'm going to take it with us when we leave. I've found the blade in a loaf a time or two also. I've been using mixes but am ready to start experimenting with a new recipe book.

Miki

PS- I always thought I was the only one who got the blade stuck in the bread!

Yep, I have arthritis too and I ALSO have a bread machine. One recipe in the book that came with it happens to be our favorite. I don't care for whole wheat bread (at least what I've purchased from the grocery store). It's too course and somewhat bitter for my liking.

I'd LOVE to have that french bread recipe one of you were talking about! In fact, ANY recipes you guys would care to share, would be appreciated by many of us I'm sure.

One of our favorites are to let the machine knead the bread and then I take it out, flatten it some, put layers of pizza sauce, cooked pepperoni or seasoned hamburger, and cheeses, then fold the bread over, sealing it for baking. Throw it in the oven and you have quite a nice taste treat!

I also use kneaded bread dough to make my homemade cinnamon/caramel rolls. YUM.

PS - I also have a great "Oster Kitchen Center" (food processing unit) which came with dough hooks. It saves a lot of work too!

------------------

shepherd.gif

[This message has been edited by Shepherd (edited September 28, 2002).]