MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Squirrel recipes needed

Guest Guest

Ugh! My father used to bring home squirrel and I never did like them. But if you insist...

I suggest that if there are oaks where you hunt and the squirrels have been feeding on acorns, that after skinning and cleaning them, you soak them overnight in water that has vinegar added ... about 1 T./qt. My mom always did. Also, if it is an old squirrel (the older the squirrel,the redder the meat), soak it in 3/4 cup salad oil and 1/4 cup lemon juice for 1 hour before cooking.

SQUIRREL CHILI

1 lb of squirrel meat, browned

1 onion, large, chopped

1 clove garlic

2 or 3 drops of liquid Smoke

1 bell pepper, chopped

1 T oregeno

2 T chili powder (or more,if you prefer)

1 t. cumin

1 can tomato sauce

1 can dark kidney beans

Brown meat, add next 7 ingredients. When green peppers are transluscent,add tomato sauce. Simmer for 3 hours or so. During the last 1/2 hour,add kidney beans.

SQUIRRELS & APPLES

2 squirrels, halved

1 t salt

1/4 t pepper

flour to coat by rolling in

1/2 C vegetable oil,heated for frying

3 apples, sliced (tart are best)

3 T brown sugar

3 T honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil squirrel pieces in water with salt until tender. Save 1 cup of broth. Dry squirrel with towel or paper towel. Roll the meat in flour and pepper. Fry squirrel in heated oil til brown. Place browned pieces in a baking dish and add saved broth. Put the apple and mixture of honey and brown sugar on top. Bake in oven 45 minutes or til the apples are done.

You said something about other small game...fix a coon like you do bbq brisket. My sister once served it at a pot luck and didn't tell anyone until afterwards that it wasn't beef brisquet...they thought it was good ...although a few became green when they discovered what they'd really been eating!

You can make chili out of just about any wild game...and of course, stew...but I prefer things that cover up squirrel .... it is so greasy and gamey.

STOP that brigie. The dumb things have been feeding off my corn and bird seed all winter and summer. I desirve to to get some meat back from the buggers. DO

------------------

diinmi.jpg

I know Bridgie frown.gif They are very cute. But remember, deer are cute too. We all need to print out these recepies just in case. One never knows if someday it will be the only meat source you can get ahold of in the case of a disaster and I for one want to know how to make it edible!

------------------

becca.jpg

Thanks all. I love squirrel. It's a pretty sweet meat. Not sure how many we'll get. A cyotee (sp) moved in by the cabin and he's really deminished the population. And now someone is poaching at our farm. frown.gif Hopefully get enough so can have a couple of meals. di

------------------

diinmi.jpg

I don't know why I'm up so late. Went out to dinner tonight at the Pipe for steak & lobster with the crew on the captain. He had the bill put on his CC and I said thankyou for the dinner, we'll take care of the tip. Once a waitress, always a waitress. I pulled out a 20 dollar bill (my drink bill alone< smile.gif for a tip. I don't know what the bill was as I know if you look at the bill you are obligated to pay it, but the tip we all forked up was close to $50! Share the wealth!

I have never ate squirrel but I read Valley of the Horses where Ayla lives in a cave for a couple of years while she befriends the horses. Talk about survival, that woman lived good! The author Jean Auel spent time living in the Oregon Caves researching this wonderful series of books. Her (Ayla)favorite dish she made back in those "days" was ptarmigan. It was a crude way. Painstakingly slow cooked buried in the ground. These days I pressure cook ptarmigan (the Alaska State bird) til the meat just falls off the spindly bones. Ptarmigan, too is a dark meat (surprised me)! From there I turn it into an enchilada or chili. I think I would do the same to a squirrel.