MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

~Fish Recipes!

I want to start cooking more fish since it is so healthy....BUT, I am not so good at it. Do you have any easy recipes to share? I prefer MILD tasting fish. What mild tasting fish do you like?

We always buy a fish filet. That means there's no head, bones or skin. It's been cut away and there's just meat. The best way I've found that's not fattening, the kids like it and it's fast is to just bake it.

I put aluminum foil on a cookie sheet so it's easy to clean later. Next, I put the fish on the foil. I salt and pepper it. I stick it in a 350 degree F. oven for 20 minutes or so. I just watch it until it's done. Not runny. The time varies because sometimes I put it in frozen. Also, it depends on the size of the piece of fish.

The kids have always gobbled this up. No fat!

------------------

Pray for Peace

lcm.jpg

I like winter flounder the best! So sweet! Simple frying, baking, broiling or grilling all work well. The fresher the better! Fish should also have almost no odor. We are spoiled here with lots of various cold water fish! Nothing like seafood caught and eaten the same day! I always have a pole in my Jeeps!

An easy recipe?:

wash fillet..pat dry..dip in a beaten egg in bowl to coat..then cover with either crushed bread crumbs or your choice of crakers and bake or broil till it "flakes". You can also add spiices or parm.cheese to crushed stuff before coating. That's it!I''m Going fishing in the morning! smile.gif

------------------

edandpeg.gif

Hi Deblyn. I forget where you live. Are you close to a certain variety of fish? All the fish I know you don't want to overcook. Not everybody can handle their skin so an easy way to skin a fish is to sear it on the skin side down just enough to heat it through to the flesh. Flip the fillet over and with a pancake spatula start at the curled end and lift the skin off. Put a lid on it and when the meat flakes its done. Also, fish will cook even away from direct heat so this is where you have to watch overcooking. Doesn't matter though, an overcooked fish has never killed anybody(in my book)and it still tastes good.

Its good to eat the fish and forage around you, that way its fresh. Since its not a perfect world we are resorting to Soylent Green! (laughs)

My favorite fish to eat is Red Snapper. Chicken of the sea. When you catch it from the sea bottom floor, by the time you get it to the top, decompression has forced its stomach out its mouth. Besides having a prehistoric looking head! Once the head is off and gutted its a truly marketable good-looking fish.

Halibut is good for a mild wild white meat fish. It freezes well so you might have seen it. I like making Mock Lobster with Halibut, aka

Poor MAN's LOBSTER

1 pound halibut

1/2 cup salt

1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 quarts boiling water

Dice halibut into 1-inch squares. Drop into boiling water to which salt and sugar has been added. When halibut rises to the top it is done. Do not drop in too much halibut at one time. Divide into thirds for a more even cooking. Do not overcook. Halibut becomes tough with overcooking. Serve while hot with melted butter and lemon slices.

Kathy

"Its not what I'm doing, its what I ain't doing"

Thanks for the great info and recipe Kathy.

We live in the desert in Southern California. Probably trout would be the closet thing we have from the mountains. I just don't want to catch them and clean them! Ha! Ha! smile.gif I can deal with them once they are dead though! I am such a wimp!

We were out camping once and found ourselves without any flour or tin foil. We were using a campfire to cook our food over. We had just caught some wonderful lake trout and were trying to figure out how we were going to cook them. confused.gif

Well, since this was a big party campout, and there were many people and snackies and booze there, my DH came up with a great idea. We could take the salt & vinegar chips, crunch them up, use the foil to wrap the fish in, and place in the fire to cook. Mmmmmmmmmm yummy. grin.gif Then we tried the Barbeque too. Use either to coat the fish with the chips, it kind of marinates them in whatever flavor them chips are, as well. Nummy!!!! grin.gif

spitzfire.jpg

[This message has been edited by Spitfire (edited October 17, 2002).]