MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lemon marmalade

This is the recipe I used for my lemon marmalade, and it is really simple.

12 lemons

7 1/2 pints water

1lb sugar to 1 pint of pulp

wipe lemons and cut into quarters. Take out pips and put them in a basin with one pint of the water, and leave in soak for a few hours. Slice the lemon quarters very thinly.

Put them into a preserving pan with the remainder of the water. Add also the strained water from the pips. Let this stand for 24 hours. then boil it gently for about one to one hour and a half until the rinds are quite tender. leave it to stand until the next day, then weigh it and add the sugar in proportion. Bring to the boil, and boil for about one hour or until it will jelly. Pot into hot jars and cover immediately, or let go quite cold before covering.

This recipe makes a lot of marmalade, so you can make half or quarter quantities if you like. It also makes the kitchen smell wonderful for two days!

Thanks Lowie....i bugged you enough for the recipe!!

It's sounds wonderful!!!!!

Of course.....you know me...i hafta ask more questions....here goes.

What's a PIP......and you don't boil the marmalade in the jars (water bath method)??IF you don't ..how long will they safely keep and can the marmalade be kept out of the fridge???? Sorry .

deb

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

Pip? What on earth is American for pip? It's the seed that is inside the fruit - what do you call them over there? They contain pectin-like substances that help the marmalade to set. Sometimes you put them in a wee muslin/cheesecloth bag and hang them over the side of the jam pan. That way you can make use of them without having to try and fish them all out afterwards!

The marmalade doesn't need to be done in a water bath, as the amount of sugar is enough to preserve the fruit well. I don't keep it in the fridge unless the jar is opened. Unopened, it keeps in the store room (cool) for up to two years. I don't do my jam in a water bath either, or chutney etc, and they keep for several years. the chutney and pickley type things actually improve with keeping this way. Hope this helps; let me know how you get on if you decide to try it. Here to help if you've any more questions.

I'm trying it, too. In fact, I had gone to grocery store yesterday and bought lemons, thinking, "I am going to find a recipe for that lemon marmalade" and voila! Just in time you posted it and I didn't have to search the web.

I'm glad you'r interested in trying out the recipe; it's from an old 1930's cookery book I picked up at a jumble sale for a few pence. It's got some really interesting recipes in. My marmalade has a soft set, and is not a stiff jelly, but isn't at all runny, so don't expect it to stand up on its own. I still have 2 1/2 pints pulp to do this afternoon when I get some more sugar. That will be enought to sell and plenty to keep us going for a few months.

I love that term, "jumble sale." I've read it in books set in Britain and I assume it is like a rummage sale, but I like jumble better! Things are usually very jumbled up at them!

A jumble sale is the same as a rummage sale, but I'd rather go to a jumble than a rummage. Bethany and I are professionals at these, and both go prepared with lots of change, lots of bags and sharpened elbows! The last one we went to a couple of weeks ago, we spent about £7 and bought ourselves a new winter wardrobe each! And a bag to put it all in! yes, a great fan of jumble sales, but it's a bit of a family tradition. You should have seen my granny go!

Sounds like a blast Lowie......i wanna come next time!

I bought my lemons.....organic ones.....i think i'll make the marmalade Monday.....

oh.....Pips are Pits here.

I'll let ya know how it turns out!

Thanks for the recipe....i love anything Lemon!!

deb

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

LOWIE.......another Question......i have the lemons sliced and in the water....you said let stand 24 hours.........in the refrigerator or OUT????

Then after it's cooked for 1-1 1/2 hours....you said stand another 24 hours.....same question....in or out of fridge???????? I love the smell of lemons!

~~~~

No i haven't made lemon curd...but i LOVE IT!

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

I left mine out of the fridge; it should be OK for that short length of time. I covered it with a tea-towel to keep the dust, etc out. Mind you my jam pans won't fit in the fridge anyway!

Well Lowie.....my jars are cooling as i type.

I tasted it before i canned it....man....that's excellent stuff.....what a wonderful flavor....makes my mouth happy!

I luckily found a bag of 12 organic lemons for $3.25 ....great deal seeing the regular lemons go for $.79 ea....they were thin skinned.....and pretty.

I was worried about it being bitter like some marmadades that i've tried....nope...just heaven!

I ran out of 8 oz jars...(got 12 of those) so i ended up trowing the rest in quart jars....(3).....OH well.....overall i think i did well for my first real canning project..(well i did make applesauce last week....only got 1 quart out of it..Long story......so i'm not counting it)

It was fun to watch how the consistancy of the stuff changed throughout the cooking process.......is there a way to know exactly when it's cooked enough to can? I guessed....

WEll anyway ...i just wanted to report that i did it! Ya-hooooooo! Thanks for the recipe!

deb

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

Testing for a set with jams, jellies or marmalades:

Place a couple of saucers in the fridge while the jam etc is boiling. When it has boiled and thickened a bit, place a teaspoonful on the cold saucer, meanwhile taking the pan off the heat incase it passes the setting point. After a minute, push the jam on the saucer with the tip of your finger; if it wrinkles, then it has reached setting point. This is a reliable method which my granny taught me, and is easy to do.

The other way is using a thermometer, and boil to the jam temperature. I still test it on the saucer though, even after it has reached there on the thermometer!

Hope this helps.

Thanks Lowie! Any tip is helpful....hey Lowie.....when you said the lemon marmalade is runny....just how runny is runny...cuz i think i can drink mine.....ahahhahahha....it's slips of the english muffin....but tastes ooooooh so good.....

Hey Mare.....i remember your Lemoncello drink! Enjoy it!!I bet it's wonderful!

Lemon curd is like a lemon pudding but it's clear and tangy....very good....

Lowie ....do ya have the recipe???

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

Lemon curd recipe posted under its own heading. Deb - you shouldn't quite be able to drink the marmalade! It doesn't matter though, as long as you eat the toast or muffins quickly before it all drips off! I have a mental image here..........!! If it's thin, it makes a nice sharp sauce, either warmed or cold, for icecream, or could be stirred into homemade icecream before freezing. marmalade cake is good too - my children like that one, and it's easy and cheap to do.

Yeah....it's kindof drippy....like applesauce......oh well....just gotta be fast!

Hey Lowie....can you pass on your Marmalade cake recipe....pretty please.....i've got tons of the stuff....gotta do something with it!

I'm wondering if i can make sorbet out of it....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

deb

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg