MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Granny's porridge

I was telling the children about this the other day.

When my granny had any leftover porridge from breakfast, it was poured into a clean drawer and left to go solid. When cold and solid, it was cut into slices and my grandpa would take it to work the next day for his piece (like a Scottish packed lunch!). My husband thought I made this up, but it is true, my mother confirmed it. My granny wasted absolutely nothing at all.

Yes, Brigid - a drawer where you keep cutlery and teatowels, etc! Honest, that is true.

My grandpa was head Gardener to the Duke of Norfolk on one of his estates in Scotland, and working long hours, he always took a "piece" to work; a "piece" is a term in Scotland for any portable piece of food that you carry with you to work etc. At school we had a "playpiece" for eating at playtime.

I personally do not like porridge at all, but I think that was because my mother used to make me eat it when I was very small. The taste of it makes me physically ill, now, so I don't eat it, although I use oatmeal in baking and cooking, which I like. I would eat it if I had to though, for want of something else. It is a very nutritious and cheap food, easy to prepare and oatmeal keeps for a long time. Most Scots were brought up on the stuff. My hubby eats it with sugar, but the true Scots say it should be made with water and eaten with salt. Sounds even less appealing.........

Another use for a drawer which seems strange these days - the baby of the family often slept in the larger bottom drawer of the chest of drawers; saved on furniture, and the bed could just be pushed shut when not in use. I think some of my mother's family slept in drawers, so it's probably not as long ago as you would think.

How cool your stories are Lowie!!

Is porrage the same as Oatmeal is here....it's either quick cook....(instant) that we add water to and it has flavorings like cinnamon/apple......or the whole oatmeal you have to cook and add sugar etc.

That scottish oats with salt.....ohh my!

I love your granny....and how awesome ...your grandad sounds great too!

I've only heard stories of babies in drawers....it's very practical!!

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

Porridge is made from rolled oats here, which is just flattened oats. There are various other forms you can buy oats in , such as pinhead oatmeal, but if I want anything finer, I just put the oats throught the processor! There is a new instant oat breakfast with flavourings that has just come on to the market here, which I saw advertised on television a few nights ago, but I don't buy things like that. With the Rayburn, if I want to make porridge, I put milk in a pan, put in the oats and leave it on the cooler end of the Rayburn overnight, and it turns into perfect porridge by the morning. Very handy. All this talk of porridge has tempted me to gove it another go, especially with the colder weather on the way.

Hey my father and law loved porridge and he used to sleep in a drawer, no kidding , actually he used to sleep on the oven door. He would be about 75 now, he died a few years ago. He was born premature and they put the oven on low, and put him on the open door to keep him warm.

I was only kidding when I said putting the porridge in the drawer , too funny

grin.gif

Porridge is best served with a loaf of home made bread, toasted, lots of brown sugar and milk on the porridge, that's how my mom used to do it.

------------------

brigid.gif