MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Suggested Disasters/Circumstances For The Manual? Chapter 1

shadypines

These are the suggested disasters/ciurcumstances for the manual. Are there any we are forgetting?

Are there any that we can leave out. If the list of disasters/circumstances is acceptable, would you pleae

For each disaster,I think we need a definition of the

disaster as well as characteristics of the disaster

and whether we should shelter in or evacuate or both.

If we are sheltering in, where do we shelter in the house?.

Civil unrest/riots

Drought

Extreme heat

Asteroid hit

Tidal waves

Lahars

Train/Truck-chemical or biological accident

Wild fire

Full scale war

Nuclear Attack

Hurricanes

Tornados

Pandemics (Avian Flu)

Chemical Terrorism Rox

Biological Terrorism Rox

Earthquakes

Snow Storms

Ice Storms

Floods

Civil Unrest/Riots

Astroid Hits

EMP

Fires

War

Hail

Unemployment

Death

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweetie, You have asteroid hits twice. I would add nuclear reactor accidents. Emergencies can be classified into broad categories such as bio, chem, radiation hazards, weather related, civil, economic, etc. Since there is overlap of the sub-topics that would go into these categories, might we want to group the individual hazards in that way?

How is this?

Weather/Natural Disasters

Floods

Hurricanes

Tornados

Ice Storms

Snow Storms

Drought

Earthquake

Wild Fires

Hail

Extreme Heat

Asteroid

Fires

Tidal Wave

Lahar

Pandemics/Bird flu

Manmade Disasters

EMP

Civil unrest/ riots

Chemical Terrorism Schoolmarm

Biological Terrorism Schoolmarm

Nuclear Bomb/Nuclear radiation

War

Personal Disasters

unemployment

death

Quote:
Good job!! Let me think a bit about where to jump in. Any suggestions?

Thank You! What are you interested in?
How would this look in chart form? My fear is that
we could intimidate the non prepper.

I can do some work on Snow Storms and Ice Storms. This would be only one point of view. Could you pin them to the page in say, alphabetical order when you have them all accounted for then we can begin getting input from other members to work from.

I will try to get a quick work up posted so you can pin it that way we will not forget who is working on what.

Am I making sense to you?

Will this work until we get a few more signed up?

BTW, I really appreciate your willingness to help.

Floods

Hurricanes

Tornados

Ice Storms Lois

Snow Storms Lois

Drought

Earthquake

Wild Fires

Hail

Extreme Heat

Asteroid

Fires

Tidal Wave

Lahar

Pandemics/Bird flu

Manmade Disasters

EMP

Civil unrest/ riots

War

Personal Disasters

unemployment

death

Well I'm a veteran of a few hurricanes, one a Cat 5, one a Cat 3, one a Cat 1 and a few others inbetween, so I could share the things I've learned by going through them, if ya'd like!

Floods

Hurricanes Darlene

Tornados

Ice Storms Lois

Snow Storms Lois

Drought

Earthquake

Wild Fires Goatherder

Hail

Extreme Heat Goatherder

Asteroid

Fires

Tidal Wave

Lahar

Pandemics/Bird flu

Manmade Disasters

EMP Goatherder

Civil unrest/ riots

War

Personal Disasters

unemployment

death

Thank You, Darlene.

Post Extras:

Ok ladies, we have a wealth of experience here...if we all pool that in our own areas of expertise, then we will all have a contributing part to this manual...

You never know, and it very well may be the person you least expect, that will find value and resources through what we share in this manual.

I can't write about earthquakes cause I've never experienced one, much less other things...and there might be a few things that none of us has experience, but that some of us might have done extensive research on, soooooooooooooooo...

Who can help next?

Here is the most recent list

Floods

Hurricanes Darlene

Tornados Buttercup

Ice Storms Lois

Snow Storms Lois

Drought

Earthquake

Wild Fires Goatherder

Hail

Extreme Heat Goatherder

Asteroid

Fires

Tidal Wave

Lahar

Pandemics/Bird flu

Manmade Disasters

EMP Goatherder

Civil unrest/ riots

War

Personal Disasters

unemployment

death

The only thing I can say we have gone through would be snow and ice storms as well as strong winds. We have not gone through a tornado, but have had them go through a few miles from us. So there is no experience there.

We have gone through a time when DH didn't work for a while after having his heart attack and years ago when he had summer jobs so was on unemployment during the winter.

So, not sure where this would put me.

Quote:
The only thing I can say we have gone through would be snow and ice storms as well as strong winds. We have not gone through a tornado, but have had them go through a few miles from us. So there is no experience there.

We have gone through a time when DH didn't work for a while after having his heart attack and years ago when he had summer jobs so was on unemployment during the winter.

So, not sure where this would put me.

I don't think that we have to experience the type of disaster first hand.
We have to be willing to do the research
to find the information. I have never
experienced a biological or chemical attack (thankfully)
but I am at presently researching them. I have found
the best way is to do a google search.
Quote:
Here is the most recent list

Floods
Hurricanes Darlene
Tornados Buttercup
Ice Storms Lois
Snow Storms Lois
Drought
Earthquake
Wild Fires Goatherder
Hail
Extreme Heat Goatherder
Asteroid
Fires
Tidal Wave
Lahar
Pandemics/Bird flu

Manmade Disasters

EMP Goatherder
Civil unrest/ riots
Nuclear Bomb/Nuclear radiation Teaberry
War

Personal Disasters

unemployment
death

How about Acid Rain? Is this a concern?

While I think acid rain is an evironmental issue and of
concern, I don't think at this point it has the effect
of a disaster. Now 20 years down the road, this might
be a different story. Does anyone disagree?

I guess I could help with nuclear preparation, both in the workplace (since my husband has prepared by scoping out ahead of time which room to improvise a shelter in) and in the home since I still want to learn more myself. I could not share much on underground shelters other than what's online though because I myself have no capacity for building one since we have a high water table. Also, my construction skills and knowledge are nil. Someone once sent me a link though for building shelters above ground so I could share that. We also attended a talk by Emergency Management directed towards people living within the ten mile radius of a nuclear power plant; some of the information shared there was interesting.

Quote:
Anyone else besides me live in Tornado Alley?

I'm technically in Canada's tornado alley. There hasn't been a big one in my city since 1987, so I don't remember ever going through one.

I'd really like to help, and I love research, but I feel inadequate to contribute. One thing I can do is proofreading!!! I'll think about which topic I want to tackle.

~Jo
Quote:
I guess I could help with nuclear preparation, both in the workplace (since my husband has prepared by scoping out ahead of time which room to improvise a shelter in) and in the home since I still want to learn more myself. I could not share much on underground shelters other than what's online though because I myself have no capacity for building one since we have a high water table. Also, my construction skills and knowledge are nil. Someone once sent me a link though for building shelters above ground so I could share that. We also attended a talk by Emergency Management directed towards people living within the ten mile radius of a nuclear power plant; some of the information shared there was interesting.

Bless you!

Oh, I just noticed that something not on the list is wilderness survival. Is that something that we want to handle in this manual? There used to be a seperate forum for that here...but that was years ago! I printed off a lot of what was posted then.

~Jo

((((((((((((Schoolmarm!))))))))))))

Jo, wilderness survival is an area I'd really like to know more about. If you've got information I think that would be a very big help! There's a Christian in western Tennessee who teaches this stuff and I've often thought it would be fantastic to get a group of people together to take his classes. I'm the kind of person who has to actually do something for it to stick so actually being outdoors and doing would be fun! Here's his site: http://foxkitsinc.com/wilderness_survival/...ol/training.htm

Quote:
Oh, I just noticed that something not on the list is wilderness survival. Is that something that we want to handle in this manual? There used to be a seperate forum for that here...but that was years ago! I printed off a lot of what was posted then.
~Jo

Jo, great idea! Would you like to write it up?

Sure! I'll take wilderness survival then.

**Disclaimer** I have not experienced any type of wilderness survival situation, and most of what I'll discuss I have not tried firsthand. I think I've been camping 3 times total.

I'll dig up my old files, and do some fresh research, then open it up to critique, additions, etc.

~Jo

Quote:
Sure! I'll take wilderness survival then.

**Disclaimer** I have not experienced any type of wilderness survival situation, and most of what I'll discuss I have not tried firsthand. I think I've been camping 3 times total.

I'll dig up my old files, and do some fresh research, then open it up to critique, additions, etc.

~Jo

Thank You! Thank You!

Archived