MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cookbook

Guest Guest

Good Morning - Pineapple pie recipe with stored foods? Sounds very good, especially with cooler weather here now (okay, any pie recipe sounds good no matter when!). Anyhow, would you please post the recipe? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Monkey see, monkey do...I think I'll do that too (pressure cooker).

I've been dehydrating cooked beans, wheat berries, lentils, etc. etc., because in a crisis situation, I don't want to use up precious fuel and water...not to mention cooking odors possibly attracting unwanted attention, etc. etc.

I've made a lot of wheat berries using a form of "thermos bottle" cooking, using quart canning jars and tons of insulation...but none in a pressure cooker.

How long do you cook the wheatberries in the pressure cooker, what quantity, etc. (RECIPE PLEASE?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Why was that funny?

dough.gifchef.gif10.gif

• 4 months later...

Easy Chocolate Mousse

In an 8 ounce coffee mug put 3 oz honey, 3 oz evaporated milk, and a pinch of salt. Stir until they are mixed. Open a can of cocoa powder and dump a tablespoon into the honey/milk. Stir vigorously (working air in) until mixed. Repeat adding more spoonfuls of cocoa until the mixture has thickened to the consistency of a pudding. Let sit at room temperature for a couple of hours. Try not to eat it all at once!

Might be improved by adding a tablespoon of brandy, but I haven't tried that yet.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hard tack is a cracker/biscuit flat-bread used during long sea voyages and military campaigns before the introduction of canning as a primary food-source. Mostly inedible for dry and hard preservation, it was usually dunked in water, brine, coffee, or other liquids, or cooked into a skillet meal. This cracker was little more than flour and water which had been baked hard and would keep for months as long as it was kept dry. Also known as a sea biscuit, sea bread, or ship's biscuits.

[edit] Ingredients

* 2 cups of flour

* ½ to ¾ cup water

* 6 pinches of salt

* 1 tablespoon of shortening (optional/not traditional)

[edit] Procedure

1. Mix all the ingredients into a dough and press onto a cookie sheet to a thickness of ½ inch.

2. Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for half an hour.

3. Remove from oven, cut dough into 3-inch squares, and punch four rows of holes, four holes per row into the dough (a fork works nicely).

4. Flip the crackers and return to the oven for another half hour.

[edit] Notes, tips, and variations

Wikipedia has related information at

Hardtack

* Some recipes also recommend a second baking at 250°F (120°C) to thoroughly dry out the bread.

* Scale ingredient quantities equally if more dough is required.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Hard_Tack

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 years later...
On 1/12/2011 at 2:15 AM, Teaberry said:

Great idea for a cookbook. How's it coming along? Does anyone know of a good cookbook that does not use store bought canned goods, but only uses dehydrated foods, garden vegetables and fruits, meat from hunted animals, and dried beans, grains and herbs?

I'll see if I can dig out m y "survival" dookbook that Ive been accumulating recipes for over the years since Y2K.  For using stored/dehydrated/prep foods.

• Thanks 2