MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

CANDLE AND LAMP SAFETY

johnnyhoz

Hi all! I have a concern that I would love some input on. I have lots of oil lamps and candles and would be happy to use them. BUT, I also have 2 rowdy siamese cats who like to run all over the house playing.

How can I secure lit candles and or oil lamps to prevent accidents and fires from occuring with the 2 hoodlums sometimes running around?

All suggestions welcomed.

Make a hanger that will securly hold your lamp while suspending it from a heavy hook screwed into the ceiling. They make hanging lamps and wall mounted lamps, look at those to get ideas on what to make for this purpose.

Candles can be set on wall shelves, just put a mirrored surface behind them to refect the heat and light.

share your vodka with them!? ok, bad idea. Candles would have to be put up and out of the way.. might be easier to lock cats up in a cat play pen!

petco has them the cheapest

Midwest Cat Playpen

Black electro-coat finished wire playpen designed with your cat's lifestyle in mind. Wire mesh gives your cat an open environment, while safely and securely containing him.

Easy to clean and sanitize.

Two durable elevated resting benches--because cats like to look down on the rest of us. Easy roll swivel caster base lets you glide the cage across any floor.

Two easily accessible, wide door openings. Simple to assemble and collapsible for portability.

Midwest Cat Playpen

36"L X 24"W X 48"H - Black - Model 131

SKU: 36994 Price: $139.99 Ship Wt. 47.00 lbs.

Midwest Cat Playpen

36"L X 24"W X 48"H - Black - Model 132

SKU: 223638 Price: $149.99 Ship Wt. 38.70 lbs.

now to find a short link to fit in this space..

www.petco.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=223638 (fingers crossed)

another style http://www.petcarecentral.com/mw-132.html

on wheels http://www.petcarecentral.com/mw-131.html

Might be something to think about. They fold up flat so if you had to evacuate you could take the kitty's and give them a bit more room then a small carrier..should the need arise to be gone for a long period of time.

If you traveled and hoteled it, this would come in handy. Also if you needed to use candles or oil lamps and didn't want to lock them in a room.. this would be a blessing.

Buy a cheap aquarium, like at a yard sale. Get a mirror cut to fit the back and place an inch or so of sand in the bottom then place candles or lamp inside. My cats stay away from it because of the heat and it provides a very sturdy base and is refective and protective too.

Archived