MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm stressing real bad...

Guest Guest

Tomorrow I go in to have double knee surgery...I am the one who chose to have them both done at the same time...I hate hospitals, I hate doctors, I hate surgery and I don't ever want to go (put it off for 5 years already), so I figure if I'm gonna suffer, then I might as well get them both done at the same time and have it done and over with...

The pain doesn't scare me, the being laid up doesn't scare me but the surgery does just cause I hafta go into a foreign environment and lay there asleep while they do what they think they need to do...

Consequently, I'm stressing, near tears and I wanna cancel the whole thing but I know I'll just delay the inevitable if I do...

Anyway, I'll be around the next few days but I dunno how chatty I'll be, or how coherent I'll sound...we'll just hafta see...

*sigh*

Look at the bright side..since you are doing both knees they won't get the wrong one during surgery!

I'm sure you will be up and at 'em before you know it. If I were you I would milk it for awhile. Let the family spoil you for a few days anyway.

What kind of surgery are you having Darlene? If it's scraping torn meniscus (sp), it's a simple procedure. I had that done, and was so scared, I even had a will written, then it turned out to be a piece of cake...cept there was nothing to scrape as it was all arthritis.

I don't think there is anyway for a person to not be extremely nervous when going under anesthesia, but remember that most of these procedures are so routine and successful. If it's outpatient, all the better! I'm sending prayers.

I'll certainly keep you in my prayers... Try to use the time for something neat, maybe like writing that trashy( oops I mean adventure) novel, or reseach on something you have always wanted to take the time to learn about but never got the chance to do. Write President, Governor, Mayor, all those people who should really hear your 2 cents worth. Crochet, sew, embrodery some heirloom piece for your first born child, ( hey, you could embroider something around a new Apron!!!!something to match those stilleto heels you can wear again, after you get your knees fixed............Hang in there Darlene, they can't keep a good girl down long!!!!!

Well, I'm showered and ready to go, just waiting for my son to get ready to take me...

I'm wearing 1" heels outta defiance, I'm bound and determined i'll make it back out of there in them...

I'm still scared, I'm exhausted cause I couldn't sleep last night and I'll be glad when this is all over...

Ok, this is my game plan...Darlene <----the eternal optimist...

I should be back outta there in a few hours and be back home and i'll come in and let y'all know when i'm back...

btw Mare, I'm having meniscus on the left knee...the right knee I had torn my ACL and meniscus 5 years ago and had surgery to fix that and something was never right...supposedly he's gonna do some cartiledge grafting, or whatever, I'm not sure, I don't care, I just keep telling him to fix me already...lol

Well, hope to see y'all soon...keep me in your prayers and I'll be back!

Well, I'm home, in pain (which is fine) and I had the whole hospital cracking up...

When I got outta surgery, I woke up immediately and said I wanted to go home...the nurse said she had never had anyone wake up and be as coherent as fast as I was, so instead of having to stay there and hour, I got out in 35 min to phase 2...told them the same thing and was supposed to stay there 45 min and got out in 10 minutes...lol

I put on my skirt and my heels and the nurses were all joking about the new fashion statement I would be making *rolling eyes*...

I'm so grateful it's over...there was more work that needed to be done in both knees, I didn't understand all the medical terms so will have the doc explain exactly what he did on monday...I do know that on my right knee I had a torn ligament that he fixed that I didn't realize was torn, plus some other stuff...so my knees are wrapped up with huge ace bandages, I have ice on them and it's OVEROVEROVER...

*huge sigh of relief*

I'm walking without the aid of crutches just cause I'm a PITA, my oldest son just went to get my pain pills, and i'll take one of those in a little bit...they gave me some morphine before I left so the pain is tolerable right now.

Thank you all so much for listening to me whine and for being there for me, like y'all always are, when I needed you.

Well...

I am in so much pain right now i'm gonna shut this down for the night...the percocet isn't even touching the right knee...the left knee isn't too bad...

I think I still had all the anesthesia in me and was giving me a false sense of it not being too too bad...now i can't walk, i can hardly talk so the moral is...

don't ever mess your knees up...

just typing this is hurting it so i'll see y'all tomorrow.

Darlene, I hope by now the pain is letting up some for you,I would be amused if you werent feeling so bad, I have done the "I can get around just fine" thing after surgery too, only to find out that I hadnt realized the morphine was doing alot more for me than I thought. Dont try to be brave though, ask, no ... tell the doctor that you need something stronger if the percocet aint cutting it... a person cant heal if they are in lots of pain, its counterproductive. shut down for awhile, everything else can wait. You will make up for it all when you get back up on your pins again. Be good to yourself. Take care, AM

Yeah, I'm definitely feeling alot better than I was...now if I could only walk I'd be stylin'...

Yeah, the husband said the same thing as I laid there sobbing in pain...finally he talked me into taking some of his oxycontin which are incredibly strong, and that was enough to cut the pain to being bearable...I think I'm gonna stop those tomorrow and take a few more percocets and then I should be off everything.

I'm glad I had the surgery, I didn't realize there was more wrong in there than I initially had thought...I'm excited to not hafta deal with the swelling and pain I had to in the past and I'm hoping that some things I haven't been able to do for the past few years, I'll now be able to do again, so it's all good!

Darlene, I apologize. My post was totally out of line. I thought you were up and around and giving em heck.

You're right, don't lose your knees, or you end up in a wheelchair or a scooter.

((((mare))))

No apology needed hon...I *thought* right after I had the surgery that it was no big deal till the pain and swelling set in lol...you just went on the excursion with me, listening to me initially say *no big deal, it's over!!!!*

Well, it is over, and it was a little bigger deal than I initially thought but every day is a step towards healing...I'm just starting to get excited to be free from some of the pain and stuff I usta hafta deal with every day once everything is finished healing...

Archived