MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

dentures

ejagno

On Oct.31 I had 14 teeth pulled and extra bone on my lower jaw shaved off. Now I have a full upper denture and a partial lower. Im really lucky in that I've healed really well and the stitches came out yesterday. I am wondering if any of you have any tips for a new denture wearer, like what is the best way to learn to chew foods again? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, you guys are great.

Quote:
. . I am wondering if any of you have any tips for a new denture wearer, like what is the best way to learn to chew foods again?

It takes some getting used to. But after awhile, it's gets
easier. Eat on both sides at the same time. Best not to chew food just on one side of the mouth. I use Poligrip to
hold dentures in. Works better for me. My dentist told me no ice chewing or anything hard of that nature. You didn't mention if you will have your dentures relined. Your dentist probably mentioned that after a while, the gums shrink and the dentures will not fit as well, so relining will make them fit better and be more comfortable. I'm trying to remember what all I had trouble with but it's been so long ago it escapes me. I'm used to having them.
Only problem in eating food that I've encountered now is that I can't chew apples peels. Have to peel the apple.
Hope some of this helps.

Teaberry I was worring my self sick because I couldn't get it done until I found someone to cover me at my job... well I ended up with an abcessed tooth that was killing me and it was still a week before I was gonna get them all done. I went in and got that tooth pulled ahead of time and the dentist was so nice and the tooth came out easily and I felt so much better after that I didn't worry much that last week. They gave me lots of novicane and there wasn't much pain but the sounds give me the creeps ,if I had to do it over I would wear a radio headset to drown out the sounds.

I've had some rough times with my teeth and im not sorry they are gone and as for the pain I was expecting it to be much worse than it was. Most of my headaches are more painful and that makes me worry about the headaches I have. every time I had something go wrong with my teeth I would end up with a low grade infection and just feel blah. Im looking forward to feeling better now .I have been more tired than usual but I think thats a combo of needing more sleep to heal and not eating as well as I should as I heal. That is why I was asking for help about learning how to eat .[not to worry though I can live off the fat of the land for a while yet.]

Waiting, the fit was so tight and I had very little swelling I was having trouble getting the dentures on so they had to fix them and it did make them a little loose I have to go back next week and then once each month to get them relined as I heal when Im all healed in 4 to 6 months I get my permanent dentures. Right now Im staying with soft foods because my mouth is still tender.

Quote:
Right now Im staying with soft foods because my mouth is still tender.

I've had 2 sets of uppers and thinking back to my first pair, I had a really great dentist. Before I had had a very
bad experience with a dentist and told my new one I "was
allergic to pain" LOL. Anyway, he was great. All teeth out at once, and dentures immediately put in. No problem until the novacaine wore off: then I was in a lot of pain. Like you, couldn't eat anything but soft foods for awhile. I know I ate stuff like potted meat (UGH, but it's soft). Could try bananas, oatmeal, milkshakes. I'd take vitamins and extra Vit. C, if it were me. Can't think of anything else I
ate during that time. Maybe later. If I think about it awhile it may come back to me.

I have had my dentures about a year now. Had 8 or 9 pulled and waited the 3 months before I had the dentures put in. I didn't have to much trouble except sometimes I would get gaggy and feel sick and have to take them out until it passed. I used a lot of fixodent/polident to hold them in for the first year. Now, unless I am going to eat something that I know can mess with my teeth, I don't need anything to keep them in. Chocolate...can really "melt" the fixodent and make it loose it's grip...at least for me it did. Nuts, crackers, pretzels and stuff like that..can get under the dentures and that hurts. I don't know about you but old people taking out their dentures to clean them always grossed me out, Well, now I'm that old person, except I usually go to the rest room to do it.

i have only the uppers but what really help me to eat with them... was ... chocolate...

really i didn't haveany troubles at all eating.. it felt good to be able to eat again... and i did take vit e during the healing time... that in 10 days after i was all healed up with no trouble and had all the upper teeth take out at the same time plus had to have almost half of my upper front jaw cut out... he had to put me to sleep to do all that surgeery...

DH never liked his and can't get used to them. So, we just wasted some money and the teeth look so pretty sitting in their case in the bathroom. I think the place he went to was his problem. If he ever gets a new set I would ask around and find someone who is happy with their set and ask for their recommendation.

I was in my mid-thirties when I got my mine, both upper and lower. Being totally afraid of needles and pain, I convinced my denist to put me in the hospital,take all my teeth out at the same time, and put my dentures in all before returning to my hospital room. Vain, wasn't I

It was done, its been over twenty years, the only people that know I have dentures are my family. I never have used poligrip, or anything to hold them in place, they have always felt tight and smug in place. The only time I take them off is when I brush my "teeth"

Texmex

Archived