MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My Baby is going to Iraq

ToAutumn

Last night I got the call I've been dreading. My 22 yr old son has been told he and his unit will be leaving for Iraq at the beginning of January. I am so very proud of the man he has grown up to be, he has a deep faith in God and respect for other people and truely cares for others. He joined the Air Force because neither me nor my ex-husband could afford to pay for college, he's been in for 2 years and has taken 12 college credits already. He's trained for electrical work, I've got pictures of him 200 feet up in the air at the top of a pole. he loves what he's doing. Needless to say I reacted like a total mother, I talked calm and cool to him on the phone and told him I loved him and was still proud of him and when I got off the phone I fell totally apart. My sister came and between her and my husband they forced 3 xanax down my throat to get me to quit crying. I've tried to pray all day and the words won't come. I keep feeling this horrible dread that my son will be one of the one's that doesn't come home. How do you mothers and wives handle it when your loved one's are over there? I feel like I'm walking through a cloud, my mind is fried and no feelings seem to be getting through this foggy cloud.

Karen, I cannot even begin to imagine what you are experiencing but please know that I am praying for your mama's heart and your dear son's safety and well-being. I am thankful that you have loving support around you right now. Please take care of yourself. You have so much to be proud of in the man that he has become! He is blessed to have such a caring mother.

Keep us updated.

Karen, I grew up in an Army family, then married into the Army, and have been both daughter of an Officer, and wife of an enlisted man. But, I've never been a Mom, so I can't say I understand exactly what you are feeling. I do know how hard it was to say goodbye, and to stand proud, with tears in my eyes as I watched someone I loved go.

When I moved to bush Alaska, my Mom cried, certain that I would never return alive. My Dad told her that I would be OK, but that if for some reason I didn't return, I died doing what I loved. I'll never forget my Dad for that. He truly understood that there are some things that one has to do to satisfy something in their soul.

I pray for you, and for you son. You raised an honorable young man, and for that you can always be proud. Families who let loved ones go to war pay such an extreme price for Freedom, and so many cannot even begin to understand what a sacrifice it is. You have my deepest prayers, and my utmost gratitude. I hope I made some sense.

Karen, You and your son are in my prayers too.

Here is a scripture I found about our tears. I hope it will bring you comfort.

8 Put my tears into Your bottle;

Are they not in Your book?

9 When I cry out to You,

Then my enemies will turn back;

This I know, because God is for me.

Psalm 56:8-9.

Mare, I am like you, the daughter of an officer who went to Korea and Viet Nam and an ex-wife of a soldier who went to Guatamala. But it's so different when it's your child that you carried under your heart, watched him take his first steps and ride his first bike, I can see his face when he caught his first fish and the delight he had when he was allowed to build a tree house "all by hisself" in the tree out in our backyard. I keep seeing him in my mind all through his growing up, it always surprises me when I see him in person because he's grown up so wonderfully. Last Christmas he got to come home for the first Christmas in 2 years and when he walked down the concourse at the airport, he was wearing his dress blue uniform. I was so proud and surprised that when he gave me a hug I burst into tears and just cried on his broad shoulders. I heard some lady behind me taking pictures and and another asked if she knew us, the first lady said no but it was going into her collection. So someone out there has a picture of me crying on my son's shoulder.

Spider, thank you for the Psalm. I copied it down and I'm going to print it and hang in on my wall over my computer, to remind me that even when I cry, I am not alone, God is still here. Even though I find myself still unable to pray, I thank each and every one of you for your prayers.

Karen... maybe you can't pray right now.. but we can for you and i will pray for you till you can do your own and then i will add mine to yours... God Bless you both.

good thing for puters cause right now i want to just sit down with you and cry... but instead i will kneel in prayer.

Archived