MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Autism

MoonGoddess

We have an 8 year old who was diagnosed ASD at 4 years old. At that time he was a real headbanger and we thought we would end up putting him into special care. We did an amazing amount of research and tried a few things that made a big difference and now even though he still has autistic tendancies, you would be pushed to pick him out of a crowd. Most of the time he's the politest, friendliest kid in the street and everyone asks about his American accent - it's just an inflection in his voice.

An autistic person has difficulty in communicating in our world, but if we can step a little way into their world, it makes a world of a difference.

I offer my assistance wherever I can for parents of autistic kids

UKGUY

My boy had noises inside his head caused by a mild ear infection. Being so young and autistic, he couldn't cope. He screamed and banged his head constantly for the woozy feeling and the temporary relief from the noise. The more he screamed and banged, the more the infection grew.

One of our doctors understood what was going on and prescibed Valegan. Powerful stuff. We gave him a dose at 7pm and by 7.05pm it had knocked him out like an anaesthetic for 8 hours. We only used it a couple of nights and as soon as the screaming and headbanging stops, the ear infection had chance to heal.

The upshot of this was that it trained him to sleep when told. Now, years later, when we put him to bed and tell him to sleep, he actually closes his eyes and is asleep within minutes.

Now I don't advocate druggin' your rugrats just to get a little bit of peace & quiet,

Interesting Joan, I think I've read some of their materials before. I use RDI with my boys, and it's helped a lot. Fortunately for me, both boys are very verbal, have friends, and seem pretty typical unless under stress. Then the behaviors creep out- like when there is a dog around LOL. For the most part they are very easy going and cooperative. They both sleep well thank goodness, since I know lots of Autie's/Aspies don't. No severe gastro issues with either of them now, although when much younger we had severe issues with my younger boy.

Yesterday I had 2 fantastic meetings at their schools, and things are going so well I can actually relax a bit!

Unfortunately Joan, this group have been going for 8 years with nothing to show for $50million. I just wonder how much of that went towards their new premises.

Money well spent would have to be EARLYBIRD which is a method of early intervention pioneered by Dr. Jane Shields in the UK. It is a training course for parents and carers in understanding autism in a way that enables you to communicate. My DW and I attended one of her pilot courses and we learned a great deal from Jane and from the others (6 childs parents/carers in a group).

She has written a number of books and has trained trainers in many countries to teach Earlybird.

UKGUY

Archived