MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

GETTING PREPARED FOR A PROBABLE PANDEMIC...is it possible?

I've just started getting serious this past year about preparing. I had to start small too. I started with just a backpack kept in my car, filled with emergency supplies like flashlights, some cash, water, snacks, fire starting items, a pocketknife, and candy! Then, I graduated to a large duffel bag with some candle lanterns, topo maps of our area, a compass, a bigger knife (I love knives!) a small camp axe, a tarp, toilet paper, soap, water purifying tablets, handywipes, paracord, and some windup flashlights. Then, I got another duffel bag with clothes and rain gear and hats and gloves and a blanket. And I threw a sleeping bag in the trunk too.

At home, I cleared out my hall closet and started stocking supplies, a little bit each week. It took some time, but I now have enough in there to last us for a few weeks. I'll be cleaning out another closet to stock items in. I would like to have enough for six months.

I've done that too Holly, I even gave up a shoe closet for an "extra pantry." Now I've given up my guest room closet too, and starting to put stuff under a bed, not to mention another location or two also. It just grows on ya, the more you get, the more you realize you need so much more. Glad to have you with us, and I love knieves too. ( so does Vic!)

Make of this what you will, but during our 'in-service' last week, we were treated to a 90 minute presentation on how the community would handle an outbreak of Avian flu. There were 3 modules, complete with simulated TV reports. This is in rural/small town TN.

I thought is was a little weird, since in all the world, I think less than 1,000 people have died of Avian flu. Now that's awful, but it's not catastrophic when you look at all the data. Here's a link to an ABC story that makes that point:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/WhosCount...tory?id=1432589

My point is that I have an uneasy feeling something is amiss. I don't know if our authortities just want to err on the side of caution, or if TPTB have something else in mind. The thing our presenter said that sent the red flags up for me was that the government would use church kitchens (since many larger churches have industrial sized kitchens) to prepare food. Now that was a harmless enough idea, but what flashed across my thought bubble was "Wow. What a great plan to confiscate church property." And since gatherings of more than 100 or even down to 10 would be prohibited 'for the duration' (and the flu would come in waves) we would be literally in the dark - because workers wouldn't be able to come to work (in power plants, on the lines, etc).

Maybe I do need a tin foil hat, but something just isn't right about all of this. shrug

Ok rant over. soapbox I will go bath chill out now.

Originally Posted By: preparing
Hummmmm, why churches when schools are large and have kitchens also???

What makes you think they won't? Be aware, they own the schools. Most schools here are Hurricane shelters with mandatory staffing by some school personnel as well as gov. or Red Cross during emergencies.

I assume because the churches are smaller and more scattered. Less bodies in a single space - remember the dome during Katrina?

Have to admit. My daughter and I were looking at trailers and they have such huge closets in the master bedroom...I thought I don't need that much room for clothes..I can use this for storage....Linen closet...I thought...would work better as a pantry. I swear I was looking more at what I might do to find storage in the places than what the rest of the place would be like. I did think of space for family to visit...and stay if need be...but I really looked at the storage potential

Oh, and the one we liked the most had two rooms that my daughter claimed. It was two rooms with a bathroom between. I thought, yes it would be great for you to have that as a bedroom and a sitting room with your own bath. I also thought room to go in to enter the isolation area...bathroom for person in isolation and bedroom. Perfect isolation room. Could close the one room off to the outside and only go through the other....and would have a working toilet in the isolation room.

In the year since I first found this site, I have moved TWICE. Needless to say, my prep plans faltered! Today I am home sick, with a severe cold or perhaps flu. Now that my fever has finally broken, after four days, I've been pondering the implications of a flu pandemic.

It is daunting. I have a rural home I just purchased this year. The bank owns more of it than I do! Needless to say, the financial implications of a pandemic are terrifying to me also, as I could easily end up homeless.

If I manage the finances, I have made a good start on food: I have dairy goats! I've learned to make some simpler cheeses, yogurt, sour cream butter, etc. Extra kids will provide a good source of meat. Barring catastrophe between now and then, next spring I hope to get chickens again, for eggs and meat. This year's garden was not much, as the soil was not improved (pure sand). However, we have been spreading manure on the site of next year's garden, and, again barring major catastrophe between now and then, I have high hopes for the garden.

The pantry isn't packed with provisions yet, but I have a start on that. I've got some of the needed items for the medicine cabinet.

I'm looking for a second job in order to stash money for emergency mortgage payments. I'm hoping that job will involve at-home editing or writing, but I've only had a few nibbles so far.

I agree with the original poster to this thread: the financial aspects of such a catastrophe are what I find most troubling. If I had 10 years to pay off my mortgage before TSHTF, that would be lovely, but I don't think I can count on that much time.

Welcome to MrsS CG...we're glad you've joined us here.

I KNOW THIS REALLY DOESN'T FIT IN WITH THE SUBJECT AT HAND.....

BUT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PREPS HERE;;;;

IF YOU USE CHILDRENS COLD MEDICATIONS, I SUGGEST GETTING STOCKED UP NOW.... THE FDA IS GOING TO TRY AND GET THEM BANNED,, SAYING CHILDREN ARE DYING FROM THE MEDICATIONS...personally I don't think it is the medications, I feel the parents are probably overdosing the children......

BUT SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT,,, THE TIME IS NOW TO GET THEM,YOU BET I WILL BE......

Over last Christmas in my local area we had a huge outbreak of a nasty virus. It put you on your back for weeks, and lasted well over a month.

The thing is sometimes it is you who are ill, the prepared ones. I not only had to look after me, but two dogs and my disabled dad. I found the medical profession were all ohhs and ahhs for my 82 year old Dad, but pretty much brushed me off being quite shirty.

The thing is don't rely on getting others help, even in the modern day society. I ended up doseing myself up with lemon juice, and paracetamol (which Im not supposed to take).

I feel in a Pandemic its about not getting the nasty illness in the first place, and not just praying one has a natural immunity.

There is a lot of information on getting prepared for a pandemic in the Flu forum. I've bumped some of it up recently.

Unfortunately it might involve a lot more than just stocking up on meds. It's possible that we would have to isolate ourselves for months at a time, not leaving our homes, not recieving mail or other items into the homes unless they could first be assured they weren't carrying the disease, being cautious even of wild life surrounding us depending on the source. We might have to choose who or whether we allow anyone to come to our door or onto our property. Those that leave probably wouldn't be able to come back if we wanted to stay safe. Are you prepared to live that way?

Masks, disposable gloves, and months worth of everything we need could be indespensible. A daunting thought but might save lives.

:bighug2:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.