MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Preparing for the future

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

This has been a way of life for us for several years now. I quess it could be a way of life I was brought up with. My parents went through the depression and I always remember Mom was always stocked up on items and she passed that on to me. It is simply when you buy you buy a little something extra and put it in the cupboard. Mother did not do any canning because we lived right in the city with no land to grow a thing. But, she always purchased in bulk when she could. There is something comforting of knowing if a storm comes, the power goes out, or the money runs out we have food to get us by. I never have to worry abour unexpected company showing up at the door because I know I have enough in the house to prepare a meal for them. That is what preparing is for me. Now what are your ideas?

You are so right, it is nice to know there is food in the house.

I too have always tried to have extra on hand and then in 1999, I really bought ahead.

I have been places where they didn't have anything in the house and it wasn't because they couldn't afford it. I think some people are so use to going shopping every day they just don't think.

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

Guest Guest

I think the 2 biggest issues for me are shelter and food.

It's really scarey to think of losing a home...that is something I want to hopefully circumvent from ever happening.

The food issue has always been something important to me. I dunno if it's because I remember times where there was little in the house growing up or what, but I always keep an abundance on hand. I still have a storeage facility full of the long term storage food I bought for y2k that I've been contemplating getting rid of some.

I dunno, but I agree with many that these are things we need to keep in mind.

------------------

d5.jpg

Hey there RenieB, SnowMom and Mountain Mommy

(I love these names).

I completely agree with you that keeping supplies is a good idea. I have a storage space under the stairs where I casually keep a collapsible water container, sterlizing tablets, canned/dried food etc. I want to get a solar flashlights specially with our wild summer storms here in Miami.

I too listened to family members who lived through the depression and the rationing of the 40's. Did you know that *victory* gardens are coming back in vogue? OMgosh we're trendy..LOL. I'm reaquainting myself with healthy cooking etc. and always think in line with the hurricane season (Which it is now BTW so no! Darlene hang onto those supplies LOL)so I'm learning how to keep supplies and use supplies. Besides, the local churches (food pantries) and women's shelters heartily welcome my canned goods at the end of the season.

It's such a pleasure talking with you all. Very reasuring that others can be of a like mind.

Cookie

Guest Guest

Hi all,

I just found this forum..I haven't been able to find much since the Y2K chat room back in 1999, I sure do miss all those nice people in the chat room... they taught me so much about canning, food preserving and stocking up.. hope that we can all learn things together...Jani

Cool idea Jani!

Even here in way-to-sunny FLA the idea of canning and perserving has an appeal.

When Darlene and all want get the links up I want to mention a couple that have "how to" knowledge sites...if that wouldn't be too pushy. I love that stuff. There was apparently a wonderful book by readers digest called something like back to basics which dwelt on those themes. I'll get the correct tittle and put it on the book forum!!

I am so jazzed-happy here...

I know, calm down ye overzealous cookie

Guest Guest

You're doing just fine, Cookie...

And a very welcomed addition to our *family*...

*smile*

Feel free to go ahead and *do your thang*!

------------------

d5.jpg