MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

West Coast Port strike

Guest Guest

It will effect the economy, so it will effect all of us.

Right now there are many food products that are homegrown flooding the market. There is no manufactyring that is not dependent on imports. Ever notice how many things are made in China?

All west coast shipping......

------------------

lois.jpg

Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when

our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

You bet it will effect the economy. They have shut down the docks. Nothing in and nothing out.

While this may be a short term incident, the effects of this will ripple for months to come.

I am glad I am prepared for all sorts of emergencies...now where are my rain boots ... made in china? I best get me a new pair first thing tomorrow or there won't be any when the rains come and no new shipments coming in!

W. Coast Port Shutdown May Cause Empty Shelves

October 1, 2002

By Leigh Strope, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON –– A prolonged shutdown of West Coast ports could lead to empty store shelves, quiet factories and a global economic crisis, analysts say.

"The collateral damage is huge," said Stephen Cohen, a regional planning professor at the University of California at Berkeley. "We've never had anything like this. This affects the entire economy."

Millions of dollars in cargo sat idle for a second day at the 29 major Pacific ports. West Coast shipping lines said they will keep the ports closed until the longshoremen agree to extend their expired contract. But the 10,500-member union said it will not budge until the lockout is ended.

A stalemate could be disastrous for the U.S. economy, which already is teetering between recovery and recession. The cost has been pegged at $1 billion a day.

"It's just massive," said John Martin, president of Martin Associates, a Lancaster, Pa., economic consulting firm.

The problems could snowball quickly, according to his study conducted for the Pacific Maritime Association, which represents shipping lines and sea terminal operators. A 10-day shutdown could cost the country $19.4 billion.

American manufacturers increasingly rely on imported components and materials, and the dependence of giant retailers, such as Wal-Mart and Target, on imported merchandise has soared. The containers handled by the West Coast ports include toys from China, computers from Taiwan, lamb from Australia and fruit from Chile.

U.S. foreign trade has quadrupled in the last 20 years and now accounts for 20 percent of the nation's economic activity. Trade through West Coast Customs districts reached $567 billion in 2000, accounting for almost a third of the nation's international trade, according to Cohen's study.

Factories and retailers are more vulnerable than ever to supply disruptions. Cargo no longer sits in warehouses as it once did. Containers are moved from the ships directly to distribution centers tied to the ports, where they are broken down, repacked and sent to final destinations within hours instead of days or weeks.

"This has permitted radical reductions in inventories and much improved matching of supply to final demand," the study said.

Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan has said the logistics changes contributed greatly to the economic boom of the late 1990s.

The downside is that manufacturers and retailers no longer stock large quantities of parts and merchandise and rely on frequent shipments to sustain production flows and inventory.

"After awhile, they start to run out of stuff," Cohen said. "That hurts earnings and may lead to layoffs."

Manufacturers and retailers have been preparing for possible slowdowns or a strike by ordering extra inventory. That should sustain the national economy for a few days or weeks, said Mark Zandi, chief economist with Economy.com.

"If it extends for a month or two, it will affect sales, production and economic activity at a vulnerable time for the economy," he said.

Analysts also worry that a prolonged lockout could trigger a crisis in international financial markets, especially in Asia, which is heavily dependent on massive volumes of exports to the United States, and Mexico, which relies on imported components for re-export.

"A few days or couple of weeks – most retailers and businesses are prepared for that," Zandi said. "But a month or two – that becomes a significant global economic problem."

On the Net:

Pacific Maritime Association: http://www.pmanet.com/

International Longshore and Warehouse Union: http://www.ilwu.org/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...6-2002Oct1.html

------------------

lois.jpg

Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when

our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Yesterday I went to Target to buy my kids B-day presents and Christmas gifts early. I purchased a PS2 game system, and the man said I got the last one and he didn't know when they would get in any more! He said they are already running out of some things. I don't know if that is accross the board, or just in hot electronics, but I'm not taking any chances. This week I am going to stock up on basic household stuff, enough for 3 months of diapers, wipes, TP, laundry det. ect. I don't want to be caught short, and will continue adding as I can. I forsee a lot of people having a very disappointing holiday with empty shelves and a dangerous one if it continues too long!

------------------

becca.jpg

When we were on vacation and we took a ferry from Oakland to San Francisco, I counted at least 12 ships sitting out in the waters waiting with their cargo. I am sure there were more, but I just couldn't see them.

My cousin said (due to a call about a shipment) that for every day that they did not unload it would take two days to get caught up. So, even though they are back at work, it will take quite some time to get those items on the shelves.

With the possible pending war with Iraq, who knows how all that will impact the economy, shipments, etc. Probably a good idea for me to see what I am not stocked up on and get prepared...just in case.

My husband works for a catalog company. He says that their Christmas season is already blown because already he won't be getting his Christmas items in until after the season.....

------------------

gl.jpg