MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

DID YOU KNOW

Kygal

this is a post where you can post little hints and tips, rules of thumb, things to remember etc about maining your house/property/tools/machinery that will save time money and effort down the road. i will start with a one.

when you have fans on, bathroom fans, stove fans, any fans that suck indoor air out, you need to crack a window, or have someway for air to get back in or you create a negative pressure in the house causing moisture to sucked in through the walls. this was a major problem in a lot of leaky condos here in the lower mainland. my job was to go from condo to condo and running 6 inch pipe from out door to indoor so tht air can come in. i put a grille on the outside, and a plastic diffuser on the inside open jsut so enough air came in to equalize the pressure, but not enough to raise heating bills.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooo! OO! Pixie, I've got one.

DID YOU KNOW... that if your dryer is vented to the outside through more than 6 feet of duct work you should run your dryer EMPTY for 15 minutes each week? This will allow any damp-ish lint in the ductwork itself to dry, thus blow out... your dryer will be efficient and you won't have a risk of it shorting out or overheating due to a clogged vent!

Are you one of those folks who smashes their fingers when using a hammer? Try a pair of needlenose pliers to hold your nail. Get a cheap pair ($1.88 at wally-world) so you can bang away - a tip... Place the pliers flush with the wall and hold the nail, it will be so far into the wall when you are ready to pull the pliers away that you will not need any support to finish driving the nail in!

Quote:
A marvelous idea! Now why can't I ever remember that when the time comes?

Maybe because you don't keep your needlenose pliers *with* the nails, or taped to the hammer.....lol

Might be the time to make a little notebook with the hints we find out about, and use it as a reference before tackling a project. Keep it in your toolbox.

And yes, do get your own toolbox!!!!! Save up and get the best tools you can afford. Especially screwdrivers. The cheap ones don't perform under pressure, and I have ruined a few screw heads with them. Made the job a lot harder, and I eventually had to go get decent ones anyway.

I'll tell you, this year I got a canvas tool bag. It looks like a canvas version of those old fashioned doctor's bags... after years of banging around with tool boxes and belts I just love it. It has lots of hidden nooks and crannies to hold things and water repellant. I got mine at a local lumberyard, but it looks pretty much like this one.

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=102...mp;cookietest=1

Okay... DID YOU KNOW...

that you can clean your drains quiet naturally and inexpensively by using a galvanized bucket to boil water in. To a gallon of water that has been boiled and removed from the stove, add 1 C Arm and Hammer WASHING Soda, not baking soda. Dump down drain, repeat with next drain. Do not use your good kitchen pots with this or they will turn white from the washing soda after a few uses.

Way cheaper than drain cleaner, and done monthly will wipe out grease, hairs, hard water deposits.

DID YOU KNOW

that if you have hard water you can run 1 Cup of CLR or Lime Away through your washing machine and dishwasher quite safely to remove deposits? Just dump 1 C in the machines and run through a normal cycle. I usually fill my washer with some water first because it has one of those mondo-huge tubs. This will help flush deposits from the drain lines as well. Quarterly would be nice.

DID YOU KNOW...

that you need to wash your dryers lint trap periodically if you use dryer sheets. dryer sheets leave a residue on the screen makeing it harder for moist air to be expelled. this results in longer drying time, and higher electric bills.

i actually found out about this one in my email so i checked up on if it was true, and it is.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/dryer.asp

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/linttrap.html

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/dryer-sheets.htm

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_d...lint_filter.htm

DID YOU KNOW - that if your car is over heating, turn on your heater and it opens up the heater core and draws heat away from you engine. of course, this will not work if you have NO coolant left in your car but most new cars will tell you when your coolant is low.

for those of you who live in cold climates...coolant is the same as antifreeze.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Are you one of those folks who smashes their fingers when using a hammer? Try a pair of needlenose pliers to hold your nail. Get a cheap pair ($1.88 at wally-world) so you can bang away - a tip... Place the pliers flush with the wall and hold the nail, it will be so far into the wall when you are ready to pull the pliers away that you will not need any support to finish driving the nail in!

If you don't have a pair of pliers, a comb will work too.
  • 1 month later...

.. or you could just do the wisest thing and ....

.. have a guy do it for you. LOL!

Okay, I'm sorry! Heh heh. That was a joke, of course.

Seriously, I just went to my neighbor and told her

about the candle/soap idea, and she told me to

tell you all "ty vm!"

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Originally Posted By: shamrockus
Quote:

If you don't have a pair of pliers, a comb will work too.

So will a clothespin grin

bounce
Shawna