MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

About Stun Guns

Hey!

Hola!

By now I'm embarrassed and afraid your thinking I'm too pushy for a new girl. I'm sorry, I've just been waiting SO LONG for a forum to ask all these burning (well...to me they are *blush*) questions.

Okay, the question, I haven't been near a gun in years but I live in a huge dangerous city. What are your opinions on stun guns? I think it's a viable option since I don't feel accurate with a gun.

Thanks

the thrilled cookie

Guest Guest

Yes...People stood around the table Zapping themselves with a top of the line stun gun..I would say go for real..if not..good quality pepper spray may be an option..not a solution..these are illegal in many states...send me a PM for sources...

------------------

edandpeg.gif

Guest Guest

Because of MrsSruvial, I became educated about firearms. I went on to become an NRA Instructor and own several firearms myself.

I'd love to talk with you about it anytime you'd like...we can always meet out at the range here in Miami if you'd ever like to learn how to shoot.

Just a few ideas for you to contemplate over.

*smile*

------------------

d5.jpg

Guest Guest

wanna learn to shoot a gun? go to your local gun shop and tell them! they have gun saftey classes and shooting ranges (some outside some in the building)

WOW!!!

On the reply...I'm so glad my sheepish but sincere note caught your attention. Hmmmmmmm, I was startled ( note I did NOT say stunned..LOL) on the discriptions of people easily avoiding reactions to stun guns. There so *touted* as the *in* self defense here ( Darlene Ocean Drive I think did an article). I was blown out of the water over the expert zapping himself and still shooting bullseyes. Darn. I pretty sure chemical sprays are illegal in Miami but not sure on Pepper sprays. I can look that up at Miami.gov or you get the idea.

Yikes that the stun thingies seem so less the good. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe even getting one of those shaped-like-an-umbrella in rainy FLA kinds.

LOl on the *chica girl gun club* idea...what a great idea! Darlene in charge! Sample and shoot different guns and then do the cheesecake factory for lunch (are the guys rolling their eyes yet?). Seriously, I'm thinking a *reknewal* on gun safety and some target practice does sound like a good idea.

I had a scary experience on 441 by Belle Glade and regreted not having some form of personal protection However I have an SUV that hall's booty..LOL. (Ironically, I volunteer at an inner city school and it doesn't cross my mind till now..go figure).

It's not Darlene and pals that I haven't fired a weapon, trust me I have, just not in ten years. Ala rusty cookie. I vaguely remember gun cleaning exercises..etc.

Your preparing cookie did try lazer tag and paint ball (ouch and messy on paint ball)in a somewhat preparation way but that simply isn't enough or right? Does that makes sense? Sorry to drivel on...please more ideas or website hints are great.

I will look into local ( or hint greatly to Darlene) for shooting ranges that perhaps *rent out* guns to try? Do you know what I mean?

done babbling, fully embarrassed Cookie

Offical member of Darlenes chica gun club

Guest Guest

THE OFFICIAL CHICA GUN CLUB

ROFL!

Listen chica...don't worry about renting...I have many...from a .22 to a .45...

Trailglades, down off of Tamiami Trail is where I go. Just lemme know when you'd like to practice and I'll meet ya there...

I have a CCW but rarely carry. But if I have to, I'm legal and I know how to use it.

It's better to be safe than sorry, as far as I'm concerned.

------------------

d5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When Missouri finally gets the CCW, this is one little gray haired lady who will apply. I've always handled guns because my father hunted. Since I was the "wrong" gender, I wasn't allowed to hunt. Fortunately I married a man who is both a hunter and a supporter of women's rights. He insists I go shoot with him regularly although it doesn't take much insisting. Then he got me interested in deer hunting much to his chagrin. He'd been hunting on our land for 2 years before I ever went. My first "opening day" I had a 6 point buck in the sights before it was legal to shoot--talk about some heart pounding moments! I was prepared to let the deer go on about his business when I heard another shot in the distance. What an adrenaline rush! I've taken other deer since then but that first one was something else. Oh, since then, the good husband's gotten his deer too. Actually he's harvested (yes, we use the venison) more than I have, but nothing as big as my buck--teehee. We have a very large deer population and no predators to keep it from becoming a danger to itself, not to mention Lyme disease and the menengeal worm which parasitizes ruminant brains causing death.

Missouri and a number of other states have a program called "Becoming an Outdoorswoman" through their conservation or fish and game departments. It's a program just for women and an excellent way to learn about firearms, fishing, hunting, outdoor cooking, camping, you name it at reasonable prices and with expert instruction. Check it out in your state.

Hey MOGal!!! Did you stop in up at the Sunporch and introduce yourself????? I know everyone would like to get to know you. It's good to see you posting! grin.gif

------------------

gl.jpg

Guest Guest

My husband is an avid hunter, shooter, and collector of guns, especially "Curio & Relic" types...He usually goes shooting at his Dad's farm. They have a shooting range right on it and he wants to teach me how to shoot! smile.gif

------------------

how.gif

50_p1689.jpg

Go for it MrsZou!

I think you should! It can actually be a lot of fun. I used to target it practice out in the sticks with good friends. That was in the 80's (longggg ago in a land far far awaaaayyy).

Darlene and I were talking about indoor ranges becuase of our weather down here...and I guess the MPD might frown on us target practicing off the balcony (just kidding).

I do think you should go for it.

Cookie cheering you on

------------------

cookiejar.jpg

Howdy Y'all, I'm a new guy on the block.

I would like to add something about the

Stun Gun subject. The effectiveness depends on the voltage. Most Stun guns that you buy off the shelf or 15,000-200,000 volts. These are very low in voltage and are only good for deterring animals (as in Cattle Prods or Dog shockers). The Stun Guns that Law Enforcement use are at the 500,000 volts range.(Sorry, checked the Stats...This is my brain on a Stun Gun)

This is what I have, it is a 12 inch baton, that can also be used as a club. Believe me it is highly effective. It has already saved my daughter from being assaulted and I have

tried it on myself. I go 300lbs and I lift weights. With a 30 second contact, I was

unable to move for 5 minutes, even though

I was coherent. Believe me their are alot of Police Officers and Security Guards that

rely on these to protect themselves. There

is alot of less paper work involved by using a non-lethal detainer than shooting.

Just felt that some other facts needed to be added. Thank You for listening. I'm sure you'll be seeing me again. It's been along time since I've posted here, under a different name.

[This message has been edited by Wheeler (edited August 15, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Wheeler (edited August 15, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Wheeler (edited August 20, 2002).]

I'm not familiar with the "Rules&Regs" of this forum. So I will not post the URL where

I purchased mine. Find out which Firearms dealer that services your local Police department or you can do a search for stunguns on the Web. Like I say, look for the 500,000 volt ones. Any lower and they are less effective. The price range is $45.00-$75.00.

[This message has been edited by Wheeler (edited August 21, 2002).]

Go Wheeler!

That sounds like cool advice...

I need to to learn the URL rules too.

I was looking for something with more power but still easy to carry. I'll take your advice and look into higher charges. Most people have steered me away from Tazers though...they say stick to the original stun gun ideas. That some of the *designer* ideas such as ones that look like umbrellas and such are not as effective. Has anyone else encountered this?

Thansk again,

cookie

------------------

cookiejar.jpg

Cookie Jar,

The one I have is about the size of a regular Flashlight. However there are some

that fit in your purse like a Cell Phone that

has the same voltage. If you would like to

visit the site I ordered from. Please e-mail me, my addy is on the Profile. They also have a new one that actually shoots electrified water over 50 feet. However this is more in the use for Prisons. That one uses 750,000 volts and needs a liscense to purchase.

------------------

Always Seek&Follow the Light.....Wheeler

[This message has been edited by Wheeler (edited August 21, 2002).]