MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

On credit?

I've been pondering this issue for along time now, keep forgeting to post.

If say indeed the bird flu goes h-h, in your opinion do you think the credit card companies will freeze all credit? Any legal issue? I don't know.

How many people outside of Mrs. S do you think/believe will go and rack up their credit card once/if the avian makes its last leap? Shopping on line or whatever.

Just curious.

Scenerio, lets say if it were to start in China....and the gov't is screaming that everything is in control. what sort of things do you think would take place in the world as we know it?

As soon as I possibly could( for example, get off work, and I would not go home,).. I would go out and buy as much as I possible could, using my credit cards too, and make multiple trips to the store, to stockpile food, water, med supplies, gas, regular supplies, etc. to get a years worth..... I would pull money out of the bank to have small bills on hand (as much as I could afford) and pile up supplies in every room, without regard to appearances at all......... The only problem would be, I would be out "there" with so many others doing the same thing......... I am well over my 3 month stock up goal, and working toward longer as we speak, using descretion, to not go way out of the budget, as things have been kinda tight..and I am trying to get things we will use......

yep.

Just to share a tid bit about my experience. I do recall when I used my credit card 3 times at the same store within hours, I could not use my cc card on the last transaction. When I called the company, this was because they had thought that my card had possibly been stolen.

On one hand I wasn't too happy at the time do to inconvenience and a little embarrassment but on the other the cc company was certainly justified. I would have freaked if my cc card was stolen or found and used.

Moonstar sounds like you are doing very well.

Guest Guest

If you have a plan, there should be no need to frenzy buy last minute!

Never, Never use your credit card for preparing. Should the world shut down and many go into quarantine situtation, how will you pay for this once the world gets back on its feet? what if.. you job is one that doen't come back?

It is not worth going into debt over this.

I just hope we see it coming and can get to the cash machine before it's emptied. ) the canisters hold £32 in £2 coins.

Plus I have a can of tinned fruit with no fruit and a false botom where keep a small stash of paper money.

Bear in mind that inflation may soar and money may become worthless pretty quickly (look at Argentina 2001 or Zimbabwe 2005). Your food or other supplies may be the best form of currency you can get.

Quote:
If you have a plan, there should be no need to frenzy buy last minute!

Never, Never use your credit card for preparing. Should the world shut down and many go into quarantine situtation, how will you pay for this once the world gets back on its feet? what if.. you job is one that doen't come back?

It is not worth going into debt over this.

I totally agree. Most of us have been prepping to avoid the last minute stampede by the sheeple. I keep
a few small bills and lots of change in the house. If something should happen the last place I want to be is
at the bank or the grocery store.

DH and I do not have a credit card. Have not had one since we were first married and I hated the extra cost with them. There are a few things I would be tempted to buy before isolating, like gasoline for the generator, but in general, I could get along with out them depending on the time of year it would hit.

In 1979 we had a terrible snow storm that took people by surprise and had people snowed in for days. The following weekend another, similar storm was predicted and I stopped in at a grocery store to get a few extra things though I certainly didn't need them. NEVER AGAIN. The place was a mad house, the shelves almost empty of perishables and lots of the other items too. I had two loaves of bread in my cart because I didn't feel like baking right away like I normally did. A frantic lady came up to my cart, grabbed one of the loaves of bread and said that I didn't need TWO of them and she needed it worse. It seems the bread shelf was empty. I quietly reached into the cart and handed her the other loaf also and leaving the cart set, took my daughter and left the store. And that was only a predicted snow storm. Like Schoolmarm, the LAST place I would want to be is at the bank or the grocery store.

We keep a few dollars on hand and some change but I'm not sure that either of them will do us much good if society really falls apart. We hope to stock a few more preps for barter if need be, though it's hard to decide what might be the best to have on hand. Any ideas anyone?

Guest Guest

Should societies chaos get back to normal...

I have silver dimes and quarters, nickles (the old real ones made of nickle!) and pennies. To make purchases with.

I also have meat and milk and eggs to trade. So most won't want my eggs... but that is ok, I will bake cakes.. were is that thread I talked about food coloring, sugar and a grinder? with my wheat I can bake bread and cookies!

I have a sewing machine that can be converted into a treadle that does 35 special stitches!!!! not just straight stitches for my little sewing business...puts me one up on any competition!

My husband has welding equipment and a small machine shop. while I am not a very good machinist... I can weld!

I don't think things will ever get this bad.. but one never knows, if it should, I am ready! or at least continuing to ready myself.

I am giving examples of Skills and use of some of my stores should the need arise to trade.. goods for services and visa versa.

Quote:

Bear in mind that inflation may soar and money may become worthless pretty quickly (look at Argentina 2001 or Zimbabwe 2005). Your food or other supplies may be the best form of currency you can get.

That is a VERY important statement. If there is no food, what is the point in having money?

But as far as the debt "thing", the banks might "freeze" temporarily but you better believe they will want their money back.

Also keep in mind that there will be those that will note who is buying all this last minute supplies on credit or otherwise and you will be followed and possibly accosted for what you have that they can't get!

Good point Lois, brainstorming is good.

We pay our credit cards off monthly ASAP. We get a lot of perks....we end up with alot of free items. This is why we use our credit card. I bought the juicer and grain grinder with my babysitting money. The cheque goes in the acct. and the other on credit. When the bill comes we have always got the money to pay.