MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Family/Friends meeting update

Mother

Well we had our family/friends meeting on the avian flu and being prepared for it and any eventuality. All but two people showed up. Some already knew about the flu, others had only heard but all were interested. We had about a half hour of going over the why and what of the flu and two hours of how we can prepare.

I had lots of hand outs, thanks to all of you (bless you). We went over things like having enough water stored or how to get water out of your own well. (That was some input that my brother gave us. A long plastic pipe with a flapper valve in the end that is lowered into your well and you pull up water. Effective but very heavy so takes lots of strength. OR you use a syphon effect with a similar set up which I'm sure I can't explain at this point but will look into)

We did a lot of "what if" scenes and they all learned that there was a lot they could do with what they already had but some things they needed to have ready ahead of time.

Most of all, we learned where each of our family members were intending to be and we set plans for how we would communicate if possible. It was a very positive meeting for all of us and we already have plans to have another in a month or so just to see where we are and to brain storm again. They are all going to try to spread the word to those they know and start passing it on.

All in all, it was a GREAT meeting. Thanks, Mrs. S for all your help, you are all wonderful.

Thank you all for your kind words, and thanks for the info Butter. I'm going to check that out. I had a call today from one of the people asking more questions and realized that we just might have to have another meeting to help some of them get better prepared. I had forgotten that some people are so new to prepping that they didn't know things I take for granite, like where to store canned goods and etc. It woke me up and made me see why most people haven't started prepping. We REALLY need that manual and it needs to be fairly detailed for those just starting.

Needless to say, I gave them all the MRS S addy. Hope they all come here and start reading.

Thanks again. This really is a wonderful place.

• 10 months later...

Archived