MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

horseradish

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

no, I got 4 cuttings last year and I have babied them and loved on them and hope at the end of this year to divide them and get 8 or 12 I will try some leaves. I will just tear one off and pop it in my mouth while I am watering.

We put some in 3 or four years ago and it took over 1/2 of our garden box. Don't have to baby it much it just takes over........... The first year ours had small roots but they get bigger in succeeding years.

I have been told that you can harvest horseradish in any month that has an "R" in it's name. I've done mine in any month but will say it's not as good in those months.

We have a horseradish garden about 20x15. I plug it in anywhere we have a dead spot in the other gardens. I will say this - it takes on a new personality in tilled soil. We dig all of it up every other year in September and the roots from the tilled soil are about the size of my wrist while the roots from other areas are about the size of carrots.

You must not start from spindly stock or it can take years to get to a useful size. Look for a CHUNK of root rather than a sliver.

Guest Guest

Mamacat,

one of mine is flowering... do I leave it or cut it? will it seed? is there a female and male plant? I have 4 of them.

I love horseradish! my eyes tear up, nose runs, sweat beading on forehead... and when my ears ring... I love it!

I have only had freshly ground horseradish a couple of times in a restaurant. I do not like store bought stuff!

so... do I whack the flower or leave it?

I'm not sure what mamacat does but I just leave mine bloom. Question, do you have cold weather there, Westy, at least below forty for a month or so? Horseradish, according to what Darlene read, needs a dormant time. If you don't have cold weather then you can dig it in what would be your late fall, use some of it and store the rest in a bag in the coldest part of the refrigerater for a couple of months before planting it back out.

I like horseradish but won't dig mine again until fall here so I use regular radishes for a substitute. Those radishes that have grown just a little too big and hot to be eaten fresh are perfect for preparing in the blender just like horseradish. I blend mine with a small amount of vinegar (you can use water too but I like the vinegar), then strain the mixture and reuse the vinegar liquid until I've ground all that I need. I store this in the refrig just like fresh ground horseradish. Hasn't got quite the taste but it's a good substitute on meat or a sandwhich...

sorry to jump in late here! I cut my blooms. My reasoning is based in my herb training - any energy that is put into blossoming will detract from the rest of the plant. I don't know about plant gender, but I'd assume not. You cannot grow it true from seed, that I do know.

Westie, you can root cellar horseradish quite well and grate fresh year round if you don't want to can it. Last year we had an "over crop" (what a horrible problem to have, eh ) and I actually got overtaken for about an hour - had to get about 50 feet from any of it what with the tears streaming down my face! We put up 2 gallons tho.

OH YEAH! I want to can some too. Never tried that before. I'll be watching for it myself.

I've never trimmed my horseradish before though I do other plants for the very reason you give. I get huge roots off mine but I might have to try trimming them and see what happens.

Mamacats Canned Horseradish

1 Quart freshly grated horseradish

2 cup white vinegar

1 tsp pickling salt

1/2 tsp ascorbic acid

Wash horseradish roots thoroughly (I use a scrub brush) and peel off most of the outer skin. Cut into chunks and whirl it up in your food processor or put through your meat grinder. You can shred it by hand but it takes a long long time! Combine ingredients and fill sterile jars, leave about 1/4 inch headspace. Process in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes. Store in a cool place.

Sounds like an easy recipe Mamacat. Does the horseradish stay crispier (if you can say that about grated anything) like fresh or is it more like cooked? You don't say to boil the vinegar so I'm assuming that the ten minutes just seals the jars. I'm lookng forward to trying it when I get to digging my horseradish. Be a lot easier to do it all at once than just when I need it.

Thanks for the post.

I'm not sure horseradish can take on the texture of "cooked" to be honest. It is a bit softer this way than if you just put it in salt and vinegar then keep it in the frig, but certainly not "cooked". I tried it one year as a sauce - literally pureed the horseradish. It was good for encrusting steaks and stuff, but not nearly as nice for the little ZAP you might like in deviled eggs and things.