MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Have a Good Blueberry Preserves Recipe?

Guest Guest

I use a simple, straight forward recipe for when I make blueberry jam...I like jams that have single ingredient fruits to taste as much like the fruit.

Blueberry Jam

4 1/2 cups crushed blueberries

2T fresh lemon juice

7 cups sugar

1 package of liquid pectin

Place crushed bluebarries into pot and stir in lemon juice. Add sugar, stiring into mixture well and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.

Add pectin and return to a full rolling boil and boil 1 minute - 1 minute 30 seconds (I hafta add the extra 30 seconds due to the humidity down here).

Remove from heat, quickly ladle jam into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8" of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads clean, cover with lids and place in water bath canner. Process jars in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes for 0-6000ft and 15 minutes for 6001-8000ft.

Remove jars from water bath and I just place them on towels I have laying out on my counter and let cool over night before moving them. I wash each jar the next day and then store them.

Yes, there are all kinds of little gadgets that you can buy to make the journey in canning easier, so if you're looking to get more into canning your own stuff, I would certainly invest in them.

Here's a couple of links to things that I wouldn't can without (I would also probably not buy them from Lehmans either cause they tend to be a little more expensive there)

Stainless Steel Jar Funnel

Magnetic Lid LIfter

Canning Jar Lifter

Thank you. Wasn't sure if they had to be fresh. The fresh ones we have are going South about 300 miles so we are left with the frozen ones.

Got to go measure my kettle to see if there's enough room for the rack, jars, and water to cover. If not, gotta buy one. Gotta buy the lifter too. Whew, lot going on here.

Guest Guest

In the mean time, for years, I didn't have any of the fancy tools and accessories...I water bath canned in my turkey roaster and removed jars with pot holders...in fact, I STILL water bath can in the turkey roaster...see no need to buy an *official* water bath canner when I have something that works just fine! lol

Just wanted to mention that..

• 4 weeks later...

Referring to previous recipe, how much does this make? I assume you used pint sized jars.

Got canner and accessories so about ready to start. Wanted to be sure I have enough of right sized jars.

Thanks.

Guest Guest

A single batch makes about 9 cups, which is about 9 half pints or 4 1/2 pints...

You can either use half pint jars or pint jars, depending on how you want and/or like it. Personally I do both.

Ohhh goody! I have been wanting a recipe like this. I planted blueberry plants last year....of course it takes 3-5 years before I get blueberries....but in the meantime, I can buy blueberries to make jam and then I will have the process down for when mine produce! Thank you!!!!!

Guest Guest

Yup, lemon juice adds a bit of "tang" that enhances the flavor of the blueberries.

BTW, I tried blueberry freezer jam one time... I did *not* like it! Canned is best!!!

Question about headspace. Bluebook says 1/2", Univ. of Ga. says 1/4", Darlene is using 1/8". This is getting confusing.

No one is agreeing. Must be some exceptions. I'm going to use the 1/8" (This is Darlenes' recipe and she would know about the 1/8") but is it ok to use the 1/8" for any jam/jelly recipes or just this one? If not, which figure should I use?????????

Guest Guest

In my opinion, 1/8" is not enough. You'll have more bad seals due to product bubbling up & ruining the seal.

Not to mention food seeping out and getting the jars all messy. I use 1/2" for nearly everything... maybe just a *tad* less for jellies & jams.

(Darlene says 1/8"????)

BOSS??? WHO TAUGHT YOU TO CAN?????????Scratch-Head.gif

**Cat tosses a banana cream pie at Da Boss' quickly-retreating-but-big-target rear...**

72.gif

Guest Guest

Well, Miss Cat, that's what it says on my Certo jam instruction sheet. Actually I usually do about 1/4", but have overfilled to 1/8"...

The jams, or at least mine, don't really boil in the jars during the 10-15 minute water bath process, so I've never had a problem.

I would say, if ya wanna play it safe, 1/4"-1/2" is fine...it's not gonna adversely effect the product.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
blueberry jam so wanting to make some, but the recipe is now gone. Can someone repost it please?

I printed out Darlenes' recipe here it is as written:

"I use a simple straight forward recipe for when I make blueberry jam..I like jams that have single ingredient fruits to taste as much like the fruit."

"Blueberry Jam"

4 1/2 cups crushed blueberries
2T fresh lemon juice
7 cups sugar
1 package of liquid pectin

"Place crushed blueberries into pot and stir in lemon juice. Add sugar, stirring into mixture well and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.

Add pectin and return to a full rolling boil and boil 1 minute - 1 minute 30 seconds (I hafta add the extra 30 seconds due to the humidity down here).

Remove from heat, quickly ladle jam into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8" of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads, clean, cover with lids and place in water bath canner. Process jars in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes for 0-6000ft and 15 minutes for 6001-8000ft."

My Comment: I made this and it is very good.