MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

All American 921 Home Canner Drawing

Guest Guest

Ok, once again, if I forgot anyone that has thrown their name into the hat, please speak up cause I don't wanna miss anyone...and we're waiting for waiting to post if she qualifies...lol

LOL Guess that sounds like I don't know if I have a pressure canner. LOL. Oops. What I was trying to ask was

would I be qualified since I don't think I would be using it

right away considering I'm still trying to learn to water bath and dehydrate? Tell ya what, don't put my name into the hat. That would give someone else a better chance of winning that would start using it right away.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way to go Mrs.S!!! Super idea on the canner. I have one, use it weekly-daily etc. It's so easy to make extra at mealtime & can the remainder. I do have a question about intentionally freezing cooking oil for storage? Has anyone tried this? Aside from going cloudly/thick, I cant see any problems...am I missing something?

Well, I no longer have an old canner. I used it and it warped beyond repair.... the company will not replace it, so I had to throw it out.. So, I guess, Darlene, put my name in the hat as well. OOOO I hope I win one so I can start canning again. I lost 20 pounds of pork....

I was raised by musicians which, in my case, was two chords and an arpeggio away from being raised by wolves. We ate hors d’oeuvres, chewing in time to the metronome. I have no childhood memories of gathering around a table for a family meal, other than holidays spent with my grandparents.

Fast forward to dire predictions prior to Y2K. This opened a new and exciting world for me. I read about self-sufficiency and getting back to the basics. Backwoods Home magazine had a recipe for Apple Peel Jelly which captivated my frugal side. So I saved the peels from the apple slices I was dehydrating.

I had pint jars. I had a box of pectin. I had an apron. I looked like I knew what I was doing.

The jelly is pink if it is prepared from apples with red skins. I stirred continually, just as the directions advised. I stirred and stirred, admiring the pinkness of it all. It began to swell up, rising like cotton candy. Suddenly the pink foam lunged at me. It spewed all over my hot stove. The dish towels I grabbed adhered to the pot. The glass stovetop had 1/8 inch of “candy” all over the burners.

The smoke was of biblical proportions. It billowed, floating ever so close to the smoke alarm. I opened the door and turned on the fans. I waved my apron.

Meanwhile the jelly was turning into a solid mass. I ignored the part in the directions saying to skim. I didn’t have time to skim. I filled my jars, popped them into a hot water bath, and began to clean my stove. Fortunately the thick haze obscured the worst of the damage, so it wasn’t until the next day that I realized the stovetop needs replacing.

I lined the jelly jars on my counter. As I wiped my eyes I heard a musical note. One of the jar lids on the jelly went “pop.”

While trying to edit my last post I inadvertently sent it instead. The above story is a cautionary tale and the perfect illustration of how inept I am in the kitchen.

I know I need to prepare, and I know that canning will help our family achieve that goal. So please include my name in the drawing.

I'm awed by your generous gift, Darlene.

Guest Guest

I vote best story award goes to Glynn!!! :D

Inquiring minds want to know...

It was one of those smooth-top glass stoves?

Did more than one jar seal?

Did it at least *taste* good?

Did you ever try it again??

Do you have anyone nearby to help you with this, or will we be seeing reports of an unidentified flying canner being blasted into our upper air space???

:lol:

Seriously, Glynn... :bouquet: for you for wanting to try again!!

Make sure you read our posts about glass-top stoves & canning. I tried to bring the important canning posts to the top, "stuck".

Guest Guest

Glynn... against popular opinion... add a little butter about the size of a very small walnut to your jams/jellies it will keep it from foaming. .... .next time.

Guest Guest

((((((((((Glynn))))))))))))

Your tale was absolutely AWEsome! I laughed and my heart went out to you at the same time cause I could picture exactly what you described...

It reminded me of the time early in my canning quest when I decided that the *purist* that I am, I was gonna make strawberry jam with NO pectin (I wanted to do it the old fashioned way)! I searched the net high and low until I found the perfect recipe and as usual with my bold cocky confidence, did a double batch and let it boil and boil and boil...I had a thermometer in it and it seemed to take forever to get to the proper tempurature. All of a sudden it started popping and strawberry PECTINLESS jam started flying outta the huge pot...it landed on my leg, on my foot, and I won't go into detail but it sure burned me bad lol...

Being the determined little novice canner that I was, willing to go back to the pioneer days without the use of pectin, I finally got it up to the proper temperature, I poured it into my jars, water bath canned it and set it out on my island to cool. I made fancy little homemade labels, gave them out generously for Christmas to many friends and family with a huge smile beaming across my face until about a week later...

My mother called me and asked me if I had tried the strawberry jam. Of course NOT! I replied! I know my cooking, I know I'm good, blahblahblahblahblah...she said to me welllllllllllllllllllllllllll...

You really need to try things before you go giving them out to people cause that strawberry jam is as hard as a rock and you can't do anything with it...it tears the bread and toast, you can barely get it outta the jar, etc etc etc (you know how mom's have that way of being brutually honest)...

Needless to say, I never made strawberry jam that way again, I never gave anything out without trying it that was an experiment, and I'm grateful to say, I've come a long way since those days...rofl

I think it is absolutely awesome that you're interested in canning, and I'd be honored to put your name in for the drawing with the rest of our friends here at MrsS.

Guest Guest

Darlene! You're really giving away a canner????!!! Wow. Please put my name in! Pixie and I haven't gotten far enough with our savings yet.

Thanks to Pixie, Spider and Momo for thinking of me for this draw!

~Jo

Guest Guest

Well, tomorrow's the day for the drawing, being that it'll be June 1st...I'll have one of my girls pick a name outta the canner that I throw it into and I'll announce the winner as soon as I do. I wanted to thank everyone that has participated, and if there is any stragglers out there that would like to get their name in before I draw, I'll check this post out in the morning.

So far, and correct me if I'm missing anyone, we have the following participants:

SueC

Sunnyboysx3

teacozy

Amishway Homesteaders

Amber

Patches

ma & pa steel

Bookworm

WiccadStargazer

Momo

txcowgirl

Rita

Pixie

Glynn

Jo

Good luck everyone!

Guest Guest

Y'all are so cute! If I had been in this drawing, I'd be nuts by now! I would have called her at least 10 times this morning, I'd be pacing the floor... I wouldn't be able to contain myself until I knew...

*There! That should get 'em all stirred up nicely!*

Archived