MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
moonstar

Keeping Track of Your Stock

I tried just keeping track of what I considered extra for stock and it didn't work out too well because I was always rotating it and using the oldest for regular meals and keeping track of extra and regular grocery items seperately became a chore.

Read where Westie logged in everything that came into her home and as it was used it was also kept track of. Took her method and tried it and it really works out a lot better. You always have an accurate record of what is in your house, stock and regular items. Might mean an extra week or month of food on hand you weren't sure you had if the shtf. At the top of each page I also write what I would need for 3,6,9 and 12 months. Thanks Westie for sharing your method of keeping track.

Guest Guest

ok waiting.. and the million dollar question... is...

are you dating it too?

in time you will tweak your system to better suit your needs.

I have a list.. with what store I buy which products from. On my list is how many I have and how many I need to still buy. So I am adding and subtracting all of the time.

Soon you will have your comfort zone of pantry supplies and your list will be so easy.. you will grocery shop in your pantry... you take out 3 cans of chili, 2 soup, 4 corn, 1 pickle and add it to your house hold pantry.. then.. you add what you took out of your 'costco room' to your list of things to buy next shopping trip!

I promise it does get easier!

I've always dated the products, not only with the date I bought it but also the date it expires. Date bought and then above that date it expires. Working out real well. Now to find storage space for future purchases. (DH likes it when he runs out of peanut butter and I can go to the shelf and get him a jar.)

I am in the process of moving all my preps and will be taking inventory as I move things. However, as I've been doing this for more years than some of you have been alive

How do you do this? What does the chart look like? Is it a chart or a list? Do you use a ledger? A notebook? How is it divided? I have so many questions!!

Guest Guest

Use what ever works for you... computer, manually, use blank paper, note book paper, graph paper, wordprocessing program, excel, ??

I have a master shopping list on my computer (word processing program) I can print it out, add new items I think of or see listed here... decide how many I need, put it in the column 'goal' and then as I purchase this item I make ||||/ marks except the / crosses over the |||| .. remember those days? the slash marks goes in the how many I have. Each time I puchase the item I make another mark.

When I have reached my goal of say 12... when I need one from my 'costco room' icon_smile_wink.gif

I place the item on my list to replace.

If I take two out of the 'costco room' icon_smile_wink.gif then 2 goes on my list.

I know what is going in and what is coming out.

I have a Master shopping list.. everything I purchase and which store it can be purchased at.

It sounds harder to do then it is. The first thing to do is to start from your regular shopping list.

put it in your computer... mentally go down the isles and try to group items by isle. This also saves time.

here is an example of my shopping list... some I buy this time some I don't .. so I keep a running record.. in case something is on sale and I can buy 10 of!

Wal-Mart..............................need..... bought

Sucrets – cold and sore throat........5...........

Tea Tree Oil..........................2..........1

Thera-flu.............................24

Thera-cold............................24

Oscillo.............................24...........1

Zicam...............................18

Eye drops............................12

Tylonal PM...........................24

Claritin............................24

Vicks Vapo Rub......................4

Campho Phenique.....................4

Toothpaste..........................48

Dental Floss.......................36

Bar Soap...........................24

Lava soap..........................12

Shower gel.........................12

Shaving Cream......................12

Razors.............................100

Matches............................48

Vacuum Bag ‘A’..................... just buy

Rat Poison ........................ just buy

Kleneex Moist cloth................ 12

Kleneex anti-viral................... 100

Puffs with aloe...................... 100

grocery store-

Food for Less

Karo Syrup......................12

Light

Dark

Powdered Sugar

Cocoa powder

Vegetable Oil

Peanut Butter

Creamy

Crunchy

A1steak sauce

Canned Fish

Tuna

Sardines

Anchovies

Costco

Olive Oil

Lipton Tea

Raisins

Kleneex tissue

Toilet paper

Paper towels

Paper plates

Dish soap

Lysol

Sponge

Vodka

Vinegar

Batteries

AA

AAA

C

D

9V

Smart and Final

Earl Gray

Whipping cream

Dill relish

Pepperoni

Dill pickles

Jalapeno relish

Albertsons

True Lemon

This is just a sampling of my master shopping list...didn't want to bore you will the entire 9 pages. I don't buy everything all of the time.. as an example I want 24 boxes of True Lemon and I only have 6 boxes.

So my "Costco Room" list looks like the above but is organized by shelf...

Fruit...........have.............. goal........

peaches.............||||/ |||||/...........125

Apricots............||||/ || ..............125

Vegetables

corn............... |||...............175

and so on.

Just an inventory... I find it easier to do as I go along then to drudge through having to do all of it!

You will find what works for you but just starting a list! refining it and working your system.

I love my shopping list.. I just hit Print! beats trying to read my writing.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.