MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I object!!

5th graders mama

Dunno where else to put this but this is an absolutely TRUE and equally RIDICULOUS issue going on in Connecticut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_(cat)

If you agree with me here's the link for the petition to save this poor cat's life! Help! June 20th is right around the corner.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Lewis/petition.html

I feel bad for the cat, and the owner. However I will say that I own a cat who I am not sure is 100% in it's right mind. She hisses at people, goes right up to dogs that are barking at her- even was attacked by one because of her weird behavior, and has even scratched me for no reason whatsoever. I don't think it's too much if the cat has attacked someone to make it an indoor cat. Many many cats are indoor cats. I feel it's every pet owners responsibility to see to it their pet is not able to hurt anyone if they aren't well socialized or have mental issues.

Quote:
I feel it's every pet owners responsibility to see to it their pet is not able to hurt anyone if they aren't well socialized or have mental issues.

there ya go- that's it exactly.
I've been working in the Veterinary field for 17 years and can tell you- a fractious cat is the most dangerous thing there is- up to and including any livestock or wildlife I've worked with.

We have friends who have a very mean cat. They make sure she stays indoors. She tore up DBF's hand once-his own fault-he knows how mean the cat is and tried to pet her anyhow. She is put in a bedroom anytime children are there.

My sister was attacked by a wild cat when she was 15. Out in the yard washing DM's car and the thing came outa nowhere and tore up her leg pretty good and then just took off. Tried to trap it to be tested for rabies, but ended up having to shoot it. Then DM got a ticket for discharge of a firearm within city limits. GEESH!

Ever try to get a sick, wild cat picked up by ANY officials? The humane dept-animal control says they are considered a wild animal. The DNR-conservation officers say they are domesticated. The local chief of police says "Do you have a gun?" Double GEESH!

Quote:
Ever try to get a sick, wild cat picked up by ANY officials? The humane dept-animal control says they are considered a wild animal. The DNR-conservation officers say they are domesticated. The local chief of police says "Do you have a gun?" Double GEESH!

BOY this that the truth - which is why DH and I became the local feline rescue team for our county. I have indeed had to terminate a cat's life, but not over a) self defense or B) protecting its own property. We currently have 11 rescue cats on our farm, none of whom are eligible for adoption - health problems, behavior problems, attitude problems or we just fell plumb in love. The owner of this cat has the right to chose to let it live inside. I know people who have malicious and vandalous children who have done this much or worse!

Archived