MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Okay, I need emu recipes. Now before I tell this story, Westie, you can not laugh... I got 6 emus from a man today for free I just had to pay his gas. Well, I had to put my goats in with the chickens so I could put the emus in the goat pen... there were 3 chicks...okay they were no problem. Then there were 3 yearlings. One of them CLIMBED my fence, went right thru the electric wire and off it went. So, my hubby and son knew we could not catch it, grabbed the shotgun and killed it.... blam!! I was proud of them.... no wasting. So now I have about 30 pounds of emu to freeze. Any ideas? Also, is there a simple way to render the fat for emu oil? Thanks

Guest Guest

now I haven't read the link yet... but Rita did you see that?

Leg Skin? hum? hum? leg skin? humph! I told you to keep the legs!

I'm curious how the emu turned out. The oil goes for a small fortune among those that do bath and body and soap. I was lucky to get some in a co-op for $25.00 a pound and keep it refrigerated. Others I know swear by its healing properties but I get it for my very dry skin and mix about 10% to the udder cream at $2.00 a tube. It lasts a long time as long as you keep it in the fridge and I only mix small batches at a time to keep my concotion fresh.

I made emu steaks last night and they were great!! I took the whole skin with the fat and froze it until I have a day when I can render it.. there is so much of it. I will let you know how the oil turns out. It will be unrefined but will still work great in soaps, lotios, etc.

I'm glad that the steaks were good. Don't be surprised that the rendered oil has a slightly gamey smell...some more than others. You may smell a little wild but your skin will be beautiful LOL. A good friend of mine got rid of the age spots on her face using it.

I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't eaten emu but I have used the oil for about 2 years for skin problems/burns/scratches, etc. The stuff I buy hasn't smelled. They claim it penetrates the skin layers and that's why it works so well. A tiny, tiny bit goes a long way.

Archived