MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning and cleaning

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

now that gardens are planted and you are now being driven crazy with 101 things to do...here is another thing to do....go to where your store house of food is and look and take inventory of what you have and what you want to have....also look at your jars and see if you have enough lids for canning......what are you short of?????food will get exspensive this fall...we have a drought going on that has been going on for at least 5 years in Colorado, Nebraska and Texas....Wheat prices are expected to go up this fall , hence flour will be spendy....sugar is already on the rise and Russia and China have bought sugar futures and it is a astronomical tonnage...YES YOU will pay more for sugar and some places want to turn sugar into ethanol>>>>>>>>>>so spend money now and save in the future....maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,it takes 60 lbs of honey,sugar per person per year and if you can fruit, you need sugar.....it is better to have the money in the bank into food and staples...take care and keep the faith and i am of the belief that wewill need the faith and we will be sorely tried in the time to come

Guest Guest

Thanks for the warning of the price increases! I'm going to town Monday and plan on getting some staples to put away. I can't afford to buy huge quanities at one time, so will have to add to it gradually. I will include flour, sugar, meal and powdered milk this time. Plus some canned goods.

I'm going to make an inventory sheet to put in my Home Journal..what I have and where...expiration dates, etc. I'm also saving milk jugs to store water. We drink about a gallon of milk every day or two, so that should go pretty fast. Where to put it is the problem!

Kaye

Sound advice, with the price of crude oil going up thru the roof the price of diesel fuel is still rising too. What brings your food from the markets to the canners to the grocery stores? Trucks that use diesel, hense the prices will continue to rise from that too.

Anyway my question is this- how to long term store sugar and salt so they don't get hard? I had two round cardboard containers of salt in my pantry and both got hard as rocks unopened. My house stays a pretty stable temp so I didn't realize that there is humidity inside. No way water got in there- it's a big closet.I don't want this to happen to my sugar or flour for that matter. Any ideas?

Guest Guest

Karen, do you have a food saver; that vacuum seals? I've never sealed my sugar or salt (going to now since I'm planning on stocking plenty), but I'm willing to bet that would prevent it from becoming hard, since it vacuums all the air out. You would have to keep them in their original unopened package before you put them into the vacuum bags. The salt container may collapse and crush, I don't know. My food saver is pretty powerful. But you can't just pour them into the vacuum bags because the contents would get sucked up into the machine. I'm going to buy some sugar Monday and I'll let you know how it turns out..I'll do a box of salt also.

Kaye