MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ugh.

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

It's that time again. I gotta get this chicken butchering over with already. *sigh*

All I can think of is...

Do I hafta?

*sigh* I need to just get this done...

My oldest son is back from being outta the country and I asked him if he wanted to help me...he looked at me like I was nuts lol...

I am nuts *i think*...

Guest Guest

Just noticed Darlene called me.. NOW I know why!

Sorry, I was out working on the watering system... have more to do before Friday, Getting a welping den together tomorrow for Taliah, she is due to have puppies on the 20th plus or minus a day or 2. I will be on vacation when she welps.. my dear neighbor is taking 4 days off... what a great neighbor!

So Darlene, when you are done with chickens, come out and learn to do turkeys, rabbits and goats! ya can shoot them here!

Guest Guest

I'm sure turkeys are just like chickens or similar enough so I need no training there...

Rabbits?

Goats?

Can we continue this education next week or next year?

Guest Guest

LUNA!

I can seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee you're nothing but a trouble maker here! ROFL

Get me a goat to deflect attention off my chickens you say?

And WHAT am I supposed to tell the code enforcement officer when he comes to my house with his camera asking to take pictures of my backyard of goats??????

ROFL

I refused to let him take a picture of the chickens, and I had to ask for a 2 week extension on removing them by email, so when I wrote the email, I referenced them as "the BIRDS will be gone in 2 weeks"...

I'm not having NO documentable evidence that I have anything other than a BIRD!

Quote:

And WHAT am I supposed to tell the code enforcement officer when he comes to my house with his camera asking to take pictures of my backyard of goats??????

First of all, I said 'goat'- singular.
And when he shows up and accuses you of having a goat you stand your ground, look him straight in the eye, puff up as big as you possibly can get and indignantly tell him "That, SIR, is my DOG".
Guest Guest

DARLENE!!!! DARLENE!!!! DARLENE!!!!

I think you have it! build a nice Aviary and put in a couple of fenches or parakeets, doves or pigeons! build a soild wall from the ground up to about 5 feet making the aviary about 8-9 feet tall (roof and pointed since it is hexagon or rounded)

Put the chickens in the bottom with roosts only about 2 feet off the ground and little roosts for the other birds up at the 7 foot level!

Now you have birds!

I like Westy's idea best. When you get done you don't have a poultry yard, you have an AVIARY!!!!!

Quote:
yes! a goat can fetch, haul a cart, carry bags, ride in a car nicely, follow you around, walk on a leash, eat your roses!

mine ride in the car BETTER than the dogs- they don't shed and drool everywhere. and they prefer the term 'pruning' over 'eating' in regard to the roses...
not to mention that in the yard they are quieter and less smelly than dogs, they don't dig holes and you can use their poop for your garden.
goats rule.
Guest Guest

Now wait a minute...

I've heard westie's goats over the phone when I've been talking to her...

Those things are NOISY...and I've been told you can't just have ONE goat that it's best to have 2, preferably 3...

Quote:
Now wait a minute...

I've heard westie's goats over the phone when I've been talking to her...

Those things are NOISY...and I've been told you can't just have ONE goat that it's best to have 2, preferably 3...

ever been on the phone with someone who has little dogs?
***YIPYIPYIPYIPYIPYIPYIPYIPYIPYIP***

the 'can't have just one' myth is something we goat breeders use cuz every spring our herd TRIPLES and we gotta move babies out of here (shhhhh- don't tell anyone...)

and I wanna know why your black pumps were in the goat pen. if you had left them outside and they'd gotten rained on and ruined, would you be harboring resentment towards precipitation??? hmmmmm?
Quote:
and I wanna know why your black pumps were in the goat pen

Ok-here is the story of why Necie really, really does not like goats.

I grew up on a dairy farm and at some time or another DM had to have about every farm animal imaginable. For awhile we had goats. The big milking type-I don't know what breed they were. Well, my 3 younger sisters and myself always had to take 'turns' at different chores. We had this one nanny goat that was always getting out. We had them in an old chicken coop with a 6' fence off the back-there was a door in the back of the coop for the goats to go in and out to the fenced area, but the only way out of the whole thing was through the front door and we couldn't figure out how this goat was always getting out. One day when it was my 'turn' at goat chores, we were getting ready for a funeral and DM hollered 'Necie, that dang goats out again-go put her back in.'
Guest Guest

Well I took a break from butchering and made a huge pot of marinara and some chicken soup to can tomorrow...

I guess tomorrow, or maybe the next lolol...

Darlene, how old are your chickens? Did you have any help with butchering?

I usually get dh to chop the head (uhhh just the thought) and I do the rest. Never considered tackling this myself!

I think I got my birds not long after you. This is going to be a big chore but the roosters are getting big so I guess I should do something about that before they start pecking at me.

Oh well at least life will seem like it's getting back to normal. Maybe just what I need to get me back to me ole self again.

Guest Guest

Sunny, mine are almost 10 weeks old now...at least the ones that are left... , most the gutting, and some of the plucking...my cleaning lady helped do the majority of the plucking...she would pray and bless the chickens as I would cut their necks...I'll hafta describe this in more detail sometime, it really was hysterical.

I need to *gear up* to finish the rest, and I'll be glad to get it over with.

Guest Guest

I'm not surprised, Boss.

A lot of the cultures around the world have traditionally had a sort of ritual connected to the killing/butchering of animals. Sort of a "thank you" to God or nature.

In our modern times, the butchering is sanitized in a warehouse somewhere away from us, and the life/death connection is lost on us.

To a degree, this is what has happened to the human side, too. Hospitals and nursing homes are where people die, not at home. I am surprised at how many 30-and-unders have never even attended a funeral.