MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone sprout?

I love to use my sprouter jar. Right now I have freshly sprouted mung beans in the fridge and I'm thinking of what to try next. I have alfalfa seeds and wheat berries. What other seeds do you recommend? Can seeds for sprouting be kept in the fridge or the freezer for long-term storage? I didn't know how far I can buy ahead.

I only use alfalfa but would love to try some of the others! I keep my seeds in a canning jar, vaccuumed sealed with my Foodsaver. As far as I know, (at least as far as alfalfa seeds go) they'll keep for quite a while (as in more than a year) as long as they are dry.

Good luck!!!

Shawna

Mung beans are great, radish, broccoli, barley, millet, red clover, and lots more. If you can eat it in it's small state, as in thinnings from the garden, you can sprout it for table use. Just be careful to use only organic seeds as some seeds meant for planting can have chemicals on them. Our Natural food store carries a wide variety of sprouting seeds but I'm sure you can send for them online too.

Did you know you can dry sprouts and grind them to enhance the nutrition level of almost anything, breads especially? Sprouting is one way that most people could supplement a meager storage food diet with a healthy alternative to salad greens, which, by the way, can be sprouted too. They can be sprouted anywhere it's reasonably warm and don't even need light though some sprouts are better with a bit of sun on them. Talk about a survival food. The seeds take up very little room, most can be stored in the freezer or just vaccuum sealed for extended shelf life and they are powerhouses of nutrition.

Yup, love sprouting too, can you tell

I think sprouting is a convenient way to add nutrition to our diets, plus it's just darn fun! LOL Water some seeds and watch them sprout.

Momo, I too read stories that some sprouts could cause illnesses but I assume that issue has been addressed. Wasn't that several years ago? Can anyone verify that the seeds that are available in stores for sprouting are indeed safe and healthy?

Mother, I believe you answered my original question concerning freezing the seeds. Do you do that? Is that a good way to keep a stash of seeds fresh? I don't purchase many packages at a time but I'd love more of a variety. I think I'll try keeping them in the freezer. Thanks so much for your input.

I have sprouted for years and never had a problem. That's not to say that I won't. Most of the packages of sprouting seeds you buy, THAT ARE NOT ORGANIC, say to soak the seeds in a solution of bleach water for ten or fifteen minutes to reduce the possibility of contamination. I'm not a fan of bleach if you must know. Especially in my food but I have used it in the past if the seeds I was sprouting were not my own home grown or were not certified organic. I do wash my seeds well before sprouting, I make sure my sprouter is well washed between sproutings, and I buy from reputable people.

Seeds should be stored cool, dark and DRY. They can be stored in the freezer to triple their already long shelf life or in the regrigerator to double it.

Check out this site. Lots of info here. I've never ordered from them but they seem to have done some pretty extensive research and give out the info freely.

http://www.sproutpeople.com/seeds.html

I stopped sprouting awhile back (couple years) and have kept my sprout seeds in the original bag dry and cool and kept in a dark location. Unknown whether the seeds are still good?

I actually forgot all about them until I seen this post.

Hey Mother, that is a great link. I see the shelf life of the seeds can be as long as 10 years if stored properly. Thanks for the link, it's in my favorites now.

• 2 years later...

Broccoli, Alfalfa , Mung beans, Wheat, Kamut ( another wheat) Durum, ( hard semolina Wheat), Rye, Mixed Soup Beans, Lentils, Brown Rice, Spinach.

Will soon try all else in “Grubby’s “ list.

I cook most beans I sprout, ( less Gas that way ) Put spouted broccoli & Alfalfa in Mac & Cheese, Broccoli in Beef dishes, On Lemon Chicken, all can go in salads.

I have been eating “Sprouts” off salad bars for years, with no problem. happy02

Thank you ! I have never heard that you need to weight them. I want fat ones for stir fry. I have only tried doing it in a quart jar. Is that my problem ? I read online that is how to do it, just put something mesh on top, put in the cabinet, too.

Maybe with your help I will actually be able to grow some. That would be really nice !

I have sprouted mung beans for years also with no trouble. Between sproutings, I run my jar or container through the dishwasher and prior to sprouting I wash my seeds off. I actually got a really nice sprouter doe $1.99 at a local Christmastree Shop (a chain of stores that sells interesting stuff) But the mason jar works just as well. Way back when, they sold special sprouting lids for mason jars but plastic canvas in the jar ring or plastic mesh works fine and is cheaper.

My information on MUNG beans says 1) soak 8 to 14 hours, 2) drain, 3) put in spouter ( Or on sides of jar) -sprout 24 hours...

Calls for “Filtered” water- chlorine is bad for any sprout

!

Recommendedd temp is 70 degrees

When I do beans, I soak & Sprout in the pantry, till I see shoots, then transfer to the sun. I don’t always see any sprouts in my mung/adzuki , BUT when I soak-drain/sprout(method)the beans tasted differently than just having been soaked!

I think that SOME batches of mung beans are OVER-dried and thus don’t sprout too well.

There is another method of sprouting, the “BAG” method(s). (Hanging bag / buried bag).

One of these might work for you.

The quart jar with a piece of netting is what I used each time.

They always get so skinny and then turn green. That or a mass of nothing but roots. I got both regular mung beans from the store and then got a package of seeds in with the vegetable seeds at the hardware store.

So, what did I do wrong ? I soaked, I rinsed several times a day. I drain them well. I have tried both leaving out and putting in the cupboard.

Can you just not get the big ones for stir fry ?

Friend Violet,

I suspect temp variations might be an issue, too hot or too cool interferes with germination: 68 to 70 is ideal.. If the jar is close enough to the stove/oven the temps will vary greatly, this with the general atmosphere and what may be in it this year, your area ,can be a factor!

I suspect that the beans in question may be OLD, to dry, or just not suitable: Skinny means they’re “eating themselves” to try to reproduce. ROOTS but NO sprouts, might mean NOT enough air! ! Sometimes, according to the years CONDITIONS, we may have to switch from Jar to Bag methods of sprouting! Try using a muslin/burlap bag, slightly moist, spread the seed through-out as much as possible. Cover with straw, ( if you have it) * * *. Air circulation is as much “key” to sprouting, as is water/moisture!

* * * some folks place their BAG in a hole, dug in the ground, ( usually in a barn, shed, crate in an out building) and cover with a light layer of soil. Some swear by this method, i have never tried it. If this is attempted in the HOUSE, temperature is KEY, 67 to 70, so I suggest a planter on the floor, lowest occupy-able floor. ( a clean DRY basement is OK, a moist basement will incorporate any molds, etc, in the beans!

The Atmosphere in YOUR area might be NOT be conducive ( molds or yeasts in the air) I use a fan in my pantry ESPECIALLY when I sprout, to better control the temp within.

Some years crops just don’t co-operate----- try buying at a different supplier! Or a different brand-

I Hope this might be helpful, violet.... Good luck

I will do more research to see if there are any other solutions to this, I lost 2 crops of beans myself.

I buy the bagged beans at any grocery store, and sprout these> Alfalfa seed are cheep, especially at a BULK food store, ( I go to the local Mennonite store), health food stores sell these too.

As to Broccoli seeds, they are expensive, Amazon dot Com, sells them, as to many of the Survival food sellers,. OR use the LONG route, buy a package or 2 of seed at growing time, let several plants go to seed, and store these!

Goodgle

“sale on Boccoli seeds! “

I use old pickle jars, I put nail hole in the lids of, a pie tin with a lid, non-skid liner cut to fit, & screen cut to fit....... Don’t need a fancy spouter at all, but if ya find on at a resale shop. Garage sale, and its cheap– go for it!

Archived