MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nana

$20.00 WEEKLY FOOD STORAGE PLAN

Ok, so I want to start doing this. I think I am going to get some plastic 5 gallon buckets with lids. I shop at a store that has an awesome bulk department so I buy sugar, flour, pasta, etc. there. Those things can be stored in the buckets but can everything be stored that way or what will work best?

Make sure they are food grade. Some stores will tell you everything is, and some will tell you nothing is, when the truth is some of their buckets are food grade and some are not. Stick your head in it and smell. Do you smell petrochemicals? Your food will soak up that smell and get nasty. Buckets you get from a deli are fine. Food grade buckets have a 2 in the triangle on the bottom, and are usually either clear, translucent, or plain white. Not all white buckets with a 2 in the triangle are food grade, though. That's why I like to get deli buckets!

You will have to either get an airtight seal or seal the food in a bucket liner to make it last a long time. White flour just won't last more than a year in a bucket before it goes funky. White rice is good for a long time. Brown rice goes bad in less than a year, unless kept cool. White sugar might turn into a bucket-sized brick, but won't go bad. Whole wheat (not cracked, not ground into flour, not rolled, whole!) will last many years if you keep it cool. Whole wheat flour goes rancid in as little as a few months. Salt does not go bad. Oil goes bad surprisingly fast, even if kept in a cool room or basement. Plain cheap pasta stays good a long, long time. 30# fills a 3.5 gallon bucket. Whole grain pasta goes rancid.

We got some gamma seals, which are expensive screw-on lids, for the buckets of stuff we rotate through fastest: flour, rice, sugar, black eyed peas, corn meal. When a bucket goes empty, it's filled from the oldest bucket of the same we can conveniently identify.

Someone here was talking about using soda bottles. This has caught my imagination and I will probably be trying it for peas and beans.

Edited by Ambergris

Someone here was talking about using soda bottles. This has caught my imagination and I will probably be trying it for peas and beans.

2 liter soda bottles have worked really well for us for storing rice, beans, popcorn, and sugar. If you have a problem with pantry moths, one way I have combatted the problem is to pour salt at the top of the bottle when full. I only do this with white rice since that seems to be what the little pests seem to like the best at our house! So far, it's been working well. I recently opened a bottle from 2008 and it tastes fine, we're halfway through it. I picked up the salt trick from one of my Persian friends a few years ago and it seems to work much better than bay leaves for me. I've also found that the moths can and will eat through double bagged ziploc freezer bags but they haven't managed to eat through a 2 liter bottle yet!

Looking at the prices in the first post from 2007.... Quite a difference.

Looking at the prices in the first post from 2007.... Quite a difference.

I was noticing that myself! Prices have certainly risen.