MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Search Engine

waiting

I wasn't logged in and using the search engine and got a

"you must be logged in to use search engine" notice. This is the first time I've seen this and I've done searches many times without being logged in. Has this changed now?

Also,I may not be doing a search correctly, but have been sent to the current posting page when trying to see if something has been posted. What I was trying to search for wasn't on the current page or any preceeding pages. ????? Help, please.

To keep all this in one place, I'm editing to add I just tried to do a search for Carnation Instant Breakfast Coupon and the results were for anything with coupon in it. This has happened before but now I'm going to ask about it. Any way to get just results for Carnation Instant Breakfast Coupon instead of a list of all posts with coupon in it?

Thanks for any help on this.

The upgraded forum software has more security built in, which would probably account for being unable to search without being logged in.

I'm not sure what you mean about being sent to the current posting page. Could you give me an example of what you were searching for, the steps you took, and exactly what happened? Then I'll see if I can figure out what's going wrong.

Try to put your search in quotations, for example: "Carnation Instant Breakfast" coupons and see if that narrows it down a bit better.

Hope this helps.

I wasn't logged in when I was doing a search and when I got to the second or third page of the search, the message came up that I had to be logged in. I've done a lot of searches since the move and wasn't logged in and this is the first time this has happened.

I'll try the quotes around the search and see what happens and let ya know.

Ok. "Carnation Instant Breakfast" coupon sent me to the P.

Pinching forum, all the posts for today. Without coupon on the end I got a "no match" result.

I tried "Gain" in subject PP forum newer than 1 year

25 results per page and it sent me to a post about Downy that was posted 8/12/06.

A "Gain Laundry Detergent" came up no matches.

I'm glad you had no trouble today. I'd love to take the credit, but I didn't do anything.

Message that I had to log in to do a search has only happened once. Guess it was just a glitch?

I don't understand why the search engine sent me to a post about Downy, though, when I did a search for Gain. There wasn't anything in the body of the Downy post with "gain" in it. This was the only post listed.(Since the original search, I have posted something for Gain,which shows up under the Downy post.) Was this just a glitch or did I do something wrong to send the search engine to a Downy post?

The reason I ask is because I do a lot of post searches,usually daily, so I don't duplicate a post.

Thanks for any info.

You're probably way more of an expert on doing searches here than I am I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question, I'm really sorry.

Here are some advanced search tips.

Use +keyword for required keywords. (example: +apple)

Use -keyword to exclude posts with a keyword.

Use quotes around a phrase to search for a phrase. Use spaces around the word to match the exact word. Example " word "

So, for example, fopr apple pie recipe, type +" apple pie " if you add recipe, you might not get any results. You might try "apple" "pie".

That's about the best help I can give on this topic. I'm sorry if it's not what you need.

Archived