MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

favorite old fashioned or simple foods

This is sort of a spin off of the thread in Are You Really Ready where we started talking about plain, ordinary foods we like.

What are some of your favorites or maybe things you grew up eating? I'll start ....let's see, my current favorite is to slice some bologna off (gotta love those bologna chubs!) and slice a tomato, slap the two together, sprinkle liberally with pepper and...mmmmmmmmmm. My dh saw me eating this last night and said, "You're in your comfort zone, aren't you?" Teehee...

And what about fried potato sandwiches? We used to eat those all the time when I was growing up. Slice that potato, fry it, put it on some white bread with mayo...yep, that's good!

Roast beef hash-totally bad for you but I love it once in a while.

Creamed chip beef on toast and you could keep the jar for a drinking glass. Have not had it since I was a kid (I might be givin' away my age...LOL).

Grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches or just grilled cheese

Double baked potatoes

How about seriously broke food? Broke as in no $$?

Condiment sandwiches-mustard? Mayo? I became rather fond of worchester sauce sandwiches.

Favorite old fashioned food....chicken and dumplings....yummmmyy!!!

Simple foods....well I guess as the mom of 4 boys, peanut butter is a big hit around here...you can do so much with it! My grandmother who is 86, remembers eating her first peanut butter and banana sandwich when she was 16. The American Red Cross was passing them out because the school where they attended had blown up, she lost siblings.

Anyway...I was talking about peanut butter....it's a simple but tasty, nutritional and vesatile food. Have you ever had cornflake candy made out of it??? Holiday favorite!

Stephanie

Old-fashioned food/comfort food...I agree with Stephanie's chicken and dumplings, or chicken and rice...my homemade mac & cheese or any of my homemade soups...

Cookie--I've had a few ketchup or mayo sandwiches in my time, believe me! And we went through a time in our mid-20's where a friend and I would call each other & say, "I've got two potatoes and a can of corn, what do you have?" and the other might say, "Oh, I've got a pack of ground beef and a can of soup!" We'd pool our resources and make supper together (we lived just around the corner from each other. My grandfather once told me that one day we'd look back and realize those were some of our fondest memories, and he was right. 0002.gif

Beef Barley Stew.... mmmmmmmm. And I'm with cookie on the dried beef gravy (or SOS to my military da). Sounds nasty... looks.... special? But for a meal that costs about $0.50 to feed four people, darn tasty! Grilled chesse and tomato soup.

Fondue is fast becoming Hon and I's favorite way to cheaply eat with friends. Scratch up enough cheese and oil and everyone will go home stuffed. (No matter how continually broke some of our friends are- a bit of meat, a couple of carrots, a loaf of bread... SOMETHING can be brought. Everyone helps, and everyone eats. Words to live by.)

And my favorite guilty indulgence? Whole wheat -homemade if possible - torn into chunks and tossed into a bowl of cold oveltine. Odd... but tasty!

As for the really broke days? I think I survived on pancakes, applesauce and cheese. (Still makes a tasty rollup!)

I still make chipped beef gravy.. Or hamburger gravy.. Mom used to make swiss steak.. Then there was actually a piece of meat at the store just for swissing.. When we were really poor we had pork neck bones and potatoes.. Biscuits and gravy was always a favorite too.

Hmmm... definitely chicken & dumplings, grilled cheese, beef stew...

also large lima beans with ham, deep fried chicken wings, green beans with ham hocks & red potatoes, ham w/mixed greens & cornbread, chicken soup, tomato soup, split pea soup w/ham, carrots & potatoes. I could go on and on... my very favorite thing to eat when I'm not feeling well is cream of mushroom soup!

When my children were young and we started running out of 'the good stuff', we would make up what we called desperation dinners. It was always some sort of goulash or some concoction made with several ingredients out of the long term pantry. We gave each different one a number, like 'desperation # 46'.

It got to the point that the kids would request a specific number, and I rarely remembered what I put in them, so they'd tell me!

Favorite things growing up that I ate were fried bologna sandwiches, chocolate chip cookies, and the dark, heavy european rye breads I usta be able to get up north.

I need to find a place on the net to buy the bread and have it shipped...it's my all time favorite and I wish I could find an authentic recipe to mirror what I could buy up there.

*pout*

Sink sandwiches!

If you're from the deeeeeep South, you'd say "sank samitches." LOL

Jimmy Dean would become a vegetarian if he tried this. Take a sun-kissed tomato warm from the garden. Put thick slices on white bread that's been slathered with Miracle Whip. Yes, white bread. You're not eating this for your health. This is real soul food, as in food for your soul. Salt and pepper to taste.

Now, stand over the sink to eat this so the juice can run down your arms and drip off your elbows. Mmmmmmmm!

I like noodles (especially the shell shapes) with butter, garlic salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. If I don't have noodles, then I put the same stuff on popcorn. Very cheap and easy. Sometimes I add frozen corn to the noodles if I have any, just to add some veggies to my diet (can't do canned corn though, too mushy)

Grilled cheese sandwiches, split pea soup with rye bread, swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes or rice, Sturgeon rolled in cracker crumbs and fried, Mom's potato salad, fresh homemade bread and butter or fresh homemade bread put under the broiler with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon, chicken noodle soup, scrambled eggs and toast for dinner or waffles for dinner. This is not my favorite but it would be DH's: clam chowder or fried razor clams (you can dig them near here). I didn't like it as a kid but love it now: salmon and dungeness crab.

Ooooh chicken and dumplings...best ever...with cottage cheese (don't ask LOL)

We do chipped beef and gravy for breakfast on Tgiving and Christmas.

One thing I swore I would never have again after I left home was hamburger gravy. Can't stand the stuff LOL.

Oh, and cooked chocolate pudding, cooled slightly, with ice cream. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mo7

spanish rice, or corn and potato chowder. yumyum! i posted the chowder recipe before...here is where i would link to that tread, but i cannot find it. ~sigh~ oh well. maybe i should just post a thread with all our favorite recipes. lol

Pixie, is this it???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pixie's Potato/Bacon/Corn Chowder

1 pack of bacon

half an onion

mushrooms

green pepper

5 or 6 potatos

2 cups of corn

hot water

milk

salt

pepper

rosemary

I measure ingrediants so that it is very chunky soup, and so that there is enough for 2 meals. I usually freeze half. The milk and water is a 1:1 ratio

Cube the potatos as large or small as you normally would, cook separately from soup to add later.

Slice bacon into small pieces and fry with the onion and green pepper and mushrooms.

Have the water and milk in a large pot. I usually make 3 cups of water, with 3 cups milk. When it is boiling, add the corn (I use frozen and put it into the soup that way) and the bacon and the salt, pepper and rosemary to taste. Add the potatos just before serving so they do not over cook.

This is great with crusty bread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love Mac and Cheese the way the cafeteria did it. Cannot match that taste at home. DH's mom would take raw hamburger, season with salt and pepper, add ketchup and spread the mix on a slice of bread. Then fry the bread in a pan to cook the meat, add a slice of cheese if they had it, and top with another slice of bread. 8 to 10 servings from a pound of hamburger. Let's not forget fried cornmeal mush, as "desparation food", tho they call it polenta now.

Chicken fried steak with mashed taters and gravy

Soft boiled eggs, with buttered toasted torn up and added to it. (I realize now it made the meal extend..LOL).

Mashed potatoes or baked potatoes and the next day,fried in patties. Down here they take the mashed potato leftovers and the next day stuff it with seasoned ground beef. "Papas rellenos"

Buttered egg noodles

Oh I must stop! LOL!

Fried bologna sandwiches, spam and egg sandwiches with the egg overeasy so when you took the first bite the yolk would run everywhere and you could mop it up with the bread...buttered toast dipped in hot chocolate...

I can remember when we didn't have a lot of food in the house and my big sister heated up a can of corn and melted a little butter on top and we shared it from the pot... I can still remember how good it tasted 36 years later....This thread is making me hungry...off to make some buttered toast and hot chocolate...

Stacy

Slippery pot pie is kind of like chicken and dumplings but the broth is ham, also called "pot likker" and in my family the dumplings aren't dropped on top, they get rolled out and cut into strips then they cook up in the broth. So they are more slippery!

Okay, Cricket, I get it--thanks! I was amazed when we moved to west central Georgia and learned that people basically make noodles from dough, cook them in the broth, and call them dumplings, lol. Growing up in Florida, dumplings were plump doughballs dropped on top of the bubbling mixture. All good, though--all good!! 0304.gif

Archived