MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

If you plan on waiting till the last minute to prepare,

Darlene

OK, I think I will, if you don't think it's dangerous to keep them in an attached garage. I do have sta-bil, too, so they'll keep. I have propane and charcoal in there, too. Seems I'm probably violating several dozen fire codes, doesn't it? My water heater is in the attic, so no problems with pilot lights; I've got too much cr** in there to park in there, either. So perhaps it's not so dangerous... So be it. At least I won't be stuck here...or stuck with higher prices.

8 cans; That's only two spare tanks when you think about it. It's not so much I can't take it along in an evac. Just rather explosive...

Abigail

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

put your charcoal in the house, perhaps in a closet, and perhaps your propane somewhere else...if not, all I can tell you is I stored many, many, many 5 gal jugs of gas in my attached garage for months.

Not recommended but then I do what I hafta do.

• 5 months later...
Originally Posted By: Jeepers
Wow. Thank you for this bump! Talk about eye opening. Nothing like seeing it as it really was. Frightening.

Very true Jeepers!

I asked our fearless leader to let us put it up down here to remind people it doesn't take much to start a rush at the stores and the pumps.

It's scary and it's real.
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: RNs_girl
Wow. Thanks so much for bumping this. That is crazy! Makes me glad I am going "prep" shopping tomorrow! laugh

your welcome and thanks to Darlene who did the photo work. It's scary to see how fast things can change. I'm glad your getting supplies too.

bighug

Wow!! I think those pictures are very sad. Eye openers as well. I would feel stupid running to the store last minute like that. I don't have a huge stock up yet but have at least a month or two worth of food in my home, but to think that those who are going to the store last minute probably don't have much at all in their pantries.

Originally Posted By: barleygirl
Wow!! I think those pictures are very sad. Eye openers as well. I would feel stupid running to the store last minute like that. I don't have a huge stock up yet but have at least a month or two worth of food in my home, but to think that those who are going to the store last minute probably don't have much at all in their pantries.

What's really sad chica, is this was a post hurricane...in a state where we get hurricanes or at least warnings nearly every year. You'd think more people would get the clue but.. nope. And we have a designated hurricane period meaning we know about when we have to watch for them, like folk up north readying for sleet/snow storms/winter season.

BTW I'm proud of you for getting the month or so of food in!
Every bit helps, and it takes time and $$ so give your self a pat for getting going!

bighug
  • 3 weeks later...

This is *exactly* what I've been trying to tell people. What you see on shelves at any given moment is all that is in the store. With 'Just In Time' there is nothing stored in the back. It takes only a couple of hours to empty a large store, and it would take a couple of weeks to refill it!!

Thankyou so much for posting these pictures, I will point folks to take a look and hopefully open some eyes to what 'could be'.

I was talking to a friend in Colorado the other day. She said when I70 was closed due to a rock slide in Glen Canyon http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/25/rock.slide/index.html she was at her daughter's house in Delta for the holiday. Her husband was working and planning to drive down for the meal. My friend and her daughter went to the store to buy Thanksgiving dinner fixings and there was next to nothing in the store. They went to all three groceries in town and no food. The SIL was working in Montrose and he tried to buy groceries before coming home (his wife called him and told him the situation.) He told the store clerk that he was going to run to Grand Junction to get groceries and the clerk told him that stores in GJ had been calling trying to find food for their customers.

At some point Walmart got a truck out of Salt Lake City and my friend's daughter stood in line 3 hours and got next to nothing.

My friend finally called her husband and told him to bring groceries when he came. The SIL asked why she would tell her DH to bring food since the small town they lived in wouldn't be any better off. She told him that her DH would bring food from her pantry and freezer. So my friend fed a large family group (SIL's extended family plus her family.)

The daughter and SIL learned a lesson and now have their own large pantry. Even the SIL's family learned their lesson.

OTOH, this past winter with exceptional snow had the relief workers snowmobiling into places with food for people who don't keep a pantry and couldn't get out to the store.

• 3 weeks later...

here in GA when there is mention of snow or an ice storm empty shelves happen every time. I always try to keep my pantry stocked, and if I need things I certainly don't wait until the last minute to purchase them if there is a possibility of snow. Did that once not long after moving here and I was shocked. eek

I just now need to get more creative using what I do have in the pantry.

thanks for sharing these pictures and bumping up this post, its a great reminder because this WILL happen IRL

Originally Posted By: CrabGrassAcres
I was talking to a friend in Colorado the other day. She said when I70 was closed due to a rock slide in Glen Canyon http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/25/rock.slide/index.html she was at her daughter's house in Delta for the holiday. Her husband was working and planning to drive down for the meal. My friend and her daughter went to the store to buy Thanksgiving dinner fixings and there was next to nothing in the store. They went to all three groceries in town and no food. The SIL was working in Montrose and he tried to buy groceries before coming home (his wife called him and told him the situation.) He told the store clerk that he was going to run to Grand Junction to get groceries and the clerk told him that stores in GJ had been calling trying to find food for their customers.

At some point Walmart got a truck out of Salt Lake City and my friend's daughter stood in line 3 hours and got next to nothing.

My friend finally called her husband and told him to bring groceries when he came. The SIL asked why she would tell her DH to bring food since the small town they lived in wouldn't be any better off. She told him that her DH would bring food from her pantry and freezer. So my friend fed a large family group (SIL's extended family plus her family.)

The daughter and SIL learned a lesson and now have their own large pantry. Even the SIL's family learned their lesson.

OTOH, this past winter with exceptional snow had the relief workers snowmobiling into places with food for people who don't keep a pantry and couldn't get out to the store.

Something you said struck me.
Once after Hurricane Wilma, I got a call from a family member who admitted they were realllyyyyy low on food. He'd gotten the 72 hours minimum and that was it. After Wilma lasted for weeks and weeks.

So we got food from our open store here and from my supplies and went there on my prescious gas as all the stations were closed do to no electricity. Ironically when I got there they had gas station was open but their lone nearby grocery was closed(Their out on the fring of Miami). The gas station was stripped of all food but it had gas!

I bought containers to take back with me for my nieghbors and topped my mini SUV off.
  • 1 month later...

I mentioned this in another thread, but I will mention it again.

For storing gasoline:

1. Keep it in an AIRTIGHT container.

2. Keep the containers in a COOL (preferably dark) location.

3. Keep the containers AT LEAST 50' from any dwelling.

4. "Stabil" will preserve the gasoline for 1 year. "Pri-G" will preserve the gasoline for AT LEAST 2 years. A study was done using Stabil and Pri-G. Pri-G restored 15 year old gasoline to a useful condition. The restored gasoline was comparable to what you get at the pump right now.

Well as we all know tornado season is upon us already and hurricane season officially begins June 1 which is next Sunday. I suggest that you take a good look at Darlene's pictures and if you do not have basics or you know of someone that does not have the basics then show them these and give them a swift kick in the butt.

Basics I am talking 7 days people SEVEN DAYS

Food for everyone in your family for 7 days

Water for everyone in your family for 7 days

Meds for everyone in your family for 7 days

Don't forget the can opener

You can get a little one eye heater that will fit on top of a little propane canister fairly cheap. If you drink coffee then there is must for hot water.

If there is another Katrina you need to be prepared to care for you and yours for at least 7 days. People need to realize that there is no magic wand to wave and get things from point a to point b in a matter of minutes or hours.

If there is more than one area affected then resources will have to be split. And if we have storm on top of storm the way we did in 2004 then people are going to be exhausted. They are not going to be able to respond a the drop of a hat.

Please remember that outside of the military 99% of the people that respond are VOLUNTEERS. Those red cross people don't get paid they are regular people just like you and me. They have left behind family and jobs to go help.

Quick List

food

water

meds

flashlights

batteries

radio

work clothes

sturdy shoes

gloves

a couple of complete changes of clothes for each member of family

tools to clean up debris with

emergency numbers and back of important stuff on computer

insurance papers

and personal documents

a tetanus shot if your last one has been longer than 7 years

http://www.redcross.org/services/prepare/0...,0_239_,00.html

Darlene,

Thanks so much for the bump.

The pictures were phenomenal. They reminded me, "this is why we prepare!" Thanks so much for the tangible reminder.

When my hubby and I were at United Grocers/Cash & Carry, they had spices that were so old they had turned grey....the chives had been on the shelf so long. the ones in the front of the bottle weren't green anymore.

STILL families were buying small things...unless someone had a business.

I felt conspicuous buying sugar, butter, and some dairy.

• 2 months later...

I thought I would bump this up as Tropical Storm Fay is bearing down on Florida. This is happening down here as we speak. I drove past gas stations with caution tape blocking the pumps where gas is already gone. The grocery stores are filling up even though it's a maybe.

Luckily, some of us have our *Hurricane Preps* already! wink

• 5 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: westbrook
I would like to add...

that this is a hurricane... can you imagine what would happen if a pandemic hit? or stock market crash?

We may be finding out very soon. Very soon.

Glad to have prepped as much as I have, but wishing I could have done more. Will keep at it, and hope for the best.

M

Originally Posted By: Campy

For storing gasoline:

4. "Stabil" will preserve the gasoline for 1 year. "Pri-G" will preserve the gasoline for AT LEAST 2 years. A study was done using Stabil and Pri-G. Pri-G restored 15 year old gasoline to a useful condition. The restored gasoline was comparable to what you get at the pump right now.

I'm bumping this up because in these uncertain times and after the psuedo-gas rationing, it's wise to know how to handle these things.

I saw a man and his wife the other dayprudently filling at least 5 different gascans at the station. What they were doing WRONG was leaving them in the back of the SUV to fill them. This is a big NO. Place them on the ground so there's no chance of static electricity.

Food for thought

Also a big thanks to Campy for this

For storing gasoline:

OK, wait. I don't get it. How can you keep the containers in a dark cool place but not have it in a dwelling? Is a dwelling where someone lives? Or a building of any kind? Like you want it in an outbuilding that is 50 feet away from a building where anything living lives?

And on the Pri-G...does this mean I can store gas without any stabilizer in it, then when I want to use it, I can mix in the Pri-G?
Originally Posted By: Shurleen

For storing gasoline:

OK, wait. I don't get it. How can you keep the containers in a dark cool place but not have it in a dwelling? Is a dwelling where someone lives? Or a building of any kind? Like you want it in an outbuilding that is 50 feet away from a building where anything living lives?

And on the Pri-G...does this mean I can store gas without any stabilizer in it, then when I want to use it, I can mix in the Pri-G?

The gasoline should be stored at least 50' away from any building you live in, and, ideally, at least 50' from where your vehicle(s) are parked. The reason is, IF, for whatever reason, the gasoline catches fire/explodes your house and/or vehicle(s) SHOULD be OK (or at most, just minor damage).

You COULD store the gasoline WITHOUT any stabilizer in it, however, gasoline contains "volatiles" that can/do evaporate in a relatively short period of time. Stabilizer HELPS PREVENT/MINIMIZES the evaporation of the volatiles. Pri-G can "restore" gasoline to a useable condition that is comparable to a lot of freshly pumped gasoline.

A good analogy would be adding dry gas to the gasoline in your gas tank. The dry gas turns the water/condensation into a substance that will run in the engine.

I would not suggest or recommend storing gasoline without using a stabilizer. Using Pri-G to "restore" gasoline would be very helpful in a SHTF situation when you are out scavenging gasoline so that you can run your vehicle or generator.

I hope this helps to clarify this.

• 1 month later...