MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

If you plan on waiting till the last minute to prepare,

Darlene

Uh oh... I went to look at the pictures... once in a while I like to remind myself *why* I prep... and at least one of the links doesn't work. The picture that's suppose to have drinks emptying out gives me a "Welcome to Mrs. S's new forum" message and bumps me back to the main forum page.

When you get a chance, Darlene, you might wanna take a look and see what you can do...

ETA: Looks like that's the *only* picture whose link is wonky. So no big hurry, just a heads up.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad this thread was revived. I had not seen it before.

I am so thankful that I got the "message" a couple of months ago and have since put us in a "prepared" position. After Hurricane Ike moved through Ohio, we came home to no power (trees down everywhere). We had no flashlights, food yes - but no way to cook it except on an outdoor grill and had no charcoal or lighter fluid.

I got really mad at myself that night and vowed never to be in that position again.

A few days later, I found Mrs. Survival and have learned so much.

I now look at prepping as an investment and being a good steward of God's money. It gives me an enormous piece of mind.

In the meantime, I have mentioned preparring to a close work friend. He, like I was, is so wrapped up in his job and had never given thought to long term survival. The groceries and gas stations will always be there when ever we need them. My friend, who is a single guy living in Phoenix, took my advice on food storage and told me today he has done some stocking up. As with all Sheeple (I am still 1/2 Sheeple), he confided in me that he's been hitting Sams and the grocery stores. I mentioned that he might be interested in some flashlights, batteries, oil lamps and fuel. He said he never thought about that but will take care of it. I mentioned a crank radio and he said he will get that also. Living in Phoenix, I mentioned he should look into water storage, he trumped me on that one and said he has 70,000 gallons in his pool. I said great, now look into water purification in case he has to drink it, he said he will.

The next time we talk and he lets me know what he has done to improve his preps (prepping without knowing he is prepping) I will mention having a gun and knowing how to use it.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for the pics.

Thankfully, I have all that stuff at home already.

Bread is the only thing, I don't have a lot of. Enough to get thru an emergency, but not for more than a few days.

I have some frozen, but if it's a terrible emergency, staying in the freezer wouldn't be an option anyway.

Twelve Things That We Can Learn from Hurricane Irene About How to Prepare for Disasters and Emergencies

Whenever a major disaster or emergency strikes, millions of lives can be turned upside down in an instant. Fortunately Hurricane Irene was not as catastrophic as originally projected, but millions of people did lose power and at least 35 people lost their lives. Large numbers of homes were destroyed and the economic damage from Hurricane Irene is going to be in the billions of dollars.

Now that Hurricane Irene has passed, this is a good opportunity for all of us to look back and learn some important lessons about how to prepare for disasters and emergencies. The reality is that a major disaster or emergency has happened somewhere in the United States almost every single month so far this year, and it is only a matter of time before you and your family will be faced with another disaster or emergency.

No plan is perfect, but if you have a plan you are going to be far better off than if you do not have a plan. September is National Preparedness Month, so now is a great time to focus on preparing your family for the future disasters and emergencies that are inevitably coming. Following are twelve things that we can learn from Hurricane Irene about how to prepare for disasters and emergencies....

It's a good article. I hope you all go there and read it.

Edited by Midnightmom

Another great article from the same source:

Do You Now Understand Why You Need To Prepare For Emergencies? This Has Been The Worst Year For Natural Disasters In U.S. History

There has been a natural disaster that has caused at least a billion dollars of damage inside the United States every single month so far this year. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, there have been 10 major disasters in the United States this year. On average, usually there are only about 3 major disasters a year. At this point, disasters are happening inside the United States so frequently that there seems to be no gap between them. We just seem to go from one major disaster to the next.

So why is all of this happening? Is there a reason for all of this chaos, or has it just been one of those years?

Whatever your opinion is, what we all should be able to learn from this year is that it is imperative that we all get prepared ahead of time for emergencies. Natural disasters can strike at any time. Whether it is a hurricane, a tornado, a flood, an earthquake, a volcano or a wildfire, if you wait until the disaster strikes to prepare then you are going to be too late.

But most natural disasters are only temporary. Even more frightening is what an economic collapse, a war, a deadly plague, a nuclear disaster, an EMP strike or a weapon of mass destruction could mean.

As we have seen during so many disasters in the past, when something really bad happens food and supplies vanish from store shelves almost immediately. If transportation is cut off, you could be on your own for an extended period of time.

We certainly do live in interesting times. The years ahead promise to be some of the most exciting in human history. But those that are unprepared could end up going through a massive amount of pain.

So please prepare while there is still time. You will not always be able to run out to Wal-Mart and buy up all of the cheap stuff that you need. Anyone with half a brain can see the dark storm clouds gathering on the horizon. Very, very difficult times are coming, and you do not want to enter them unprepared.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/do-you-now-understand-why-you-need-to-prepare-for-emergencies-this-has-been-the-worst-year-for-natural-disasters-in-u-s-history

Edited by Midnightmom

And, finally......................................................

When Trucks Stop, America Stops

Our economy depends on trucks to deliver ten billion tons of virtually every commodity consumed—or nearly 70 percent of all freight transported annually in the U.S.

Recent history has shown us the consequences that result from a major disruption in truck travel. Immediately following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, significant truck delays at the Canadian border crossings shut down several auto manufacturing plants in Michigan because just-in-time parts were not delivered. The economic cost to these ompanies was enormous. Following Hurricane Katrina, trucks loaded with emergency goods were rerouted, creating lengthy delays in delivering urgently needed supplies to the stricken areas. Although in the face of an elevated threat level, a terrorist attack, or a pandemic, halting truck traffic may appear to be the best defense, it actually puts citizens at risk.

The American Trucking Associations researched seven key consumer industries to quantify the potential consequences of restricting or halting truck traffic in response to a national or regional emergency. This report details the findings.

The Food Industry - Every day, Americans purchase billions of dollars of groceries. Most of these goods are brought to market via daily truck deliveries.

• Significant shortages will occur in as little as three days, especially for perishable items following a national emergency and a ban on truck traffic. Minor shortages will occur within one to two days. At convenience stores and other small retailers with less inventory, shortages will occur much sooner.

• Consumer fear and panic will exacerbate shortages.

• Supplies of clean drinking water will run dry in two to four weeks.

http://www.truckline.com/Newsroom/Trucks%20Are/When%20Trucks%20Stop%20America%20Stops.pdf

The article goes on to detail how a truck stoppage would have a dominoe affect other industies due to lack of fuel deliveries to gas stations, etc.

Scary stuff to even think about..............................:smiley_shitfan:

Edited by Midnightmom

Nermalina, do you bake at all? There are some excellent recipes on quick breads and yeast breads and recipes for sourdough breads and such things, pancakes and big batch mixes that are handy to use that you can make up yourself with basic ingredients? There are ways to make an outside oven and oven boxes that fit on grills and on coleman stove tops , some do.

Quite a few of us got into making our own bread and such things and there are a good variety of recipes. Even making whole grain muffins is fast and good, cuts down on preservatives and stuff too so its healthier especially for those of us with rheumatological stuff. Fibro is one of the things I have so I understand. Its a way to economically put the best I can find inside me, lol, because it really helps.

I use a good whole wheat flour and six grain, gluten and such things, which I order from honeyville....... www.store.honeyvillegrains.com

Shipping is under 5$ for an order and UPS delivers to your door.

This is just one site some of us use.

They have veggies and tvp ( soy based) , dried fruit and dairy products too that are 'instant' , dried, beans and such things in bulk as well.

Some of these ladies here do alot more and use their grinder and whole wheat and grains every time they bake already. I am not that far along in my preps but I have been learning alot as I go along.

we are all in various circumstances thats for sure and well just the economy the way it is, its helpful to prep. Right now I am learning to knit socks because its not easy to get to a good store very often to find a good pair of socks. Plus the cheapy ones made just don't last, or fit good. So I am working on basic socks just now, skill wise and it will fill a need for me. Ended up finding someone who could show me the parts that are more difficult but I am also understanding things better too as I go, which is encouraging to me, that I can do it and continue my skill building with knitting and with practice I know I can turn out a good product. This is rugged 4 season country and folks all over need a good set of socks. My friend has made five pair in just a few weeks for her own friends and family members. I am sharing my books and showing her what different sock and soft yarns are like because I had them and shes showing me how to do the stuff I couldn't fathom at first because I am a beginner at knitting. Ive got quite a stash of stuff but there is still a few types of things I could still use over the next year to finish off supplies and it took over a year to get what I do have, buying stuff online or when I could get to a book store or a Michaels store to build up those fiber art supplies and such. . Its gotten easier lately and thats terrific for me. I will be able to custom fit my socks and they should last quite some time. Maybe later I can make socks for others once I am better skilled.

• 9 months later...

You might wanna think again.

Last week, as we were threatened with a hurricane, I drove around checking things out. It felt so good to not need anything because I have already planned well in advance for interruptions such as this. I really didn't have much to do, so I went down to my local grocery store to check out what the last minute shoppers were doing as they tried to prepare for the hurricane...

I took some pictures, just to give you an idea. Now bear in mind, this was early into the announced potential emergency, so in reality it is really much worse when that emergency is a real and viable threat.

People thought I was nuts taking my camera and shooting pictures and one lady at the grocery store had words with me *rolling eyes* but as they say, a picture says a thousand words.

Here is a line of cars backed up about 1/4 of a mile, waiting in line to get gas.

I hope your pics stay at the top of this forum for everyone (newbies and all) to see. A reminder just what can happen when bad weather threatens. In the midwest, when there's snow or ice coming, you find people lined up to buy...especially those of us 60+ who understand the danger of not having what you need to sustain you for ??? You might even get caught in the middle of a pay cycle and not even HAVE the money to buy! Now, to me that's scarrrrrry! Stock up! Even if you don't think you need to.