MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cookiejar

ceiling shelves

I might just go ahead and make shelves for my livingroom. I already have the appropriate curtain rods. I hate putting up hardware anyway!

Those shelves would look great with the fabric I picked out. Some of it looks like tooled leather and the rest like plain leather. (They didn't have enough of either one to do all 8 windows in here).

There's a shelf above my closet door, inside the closet, for my guns. If you didn't know it was there, you'd never notice it.

Originally Posted By: Belle
There's a shelf above my closet door, inside the closet, for my guns. If you didn't know it was there, you'd never notice it.

Wow! Now that is a cool idea!
Now you have me looking at my closets and going ...hmmmmmmm
Your a bad influence chica!
grin

Originally Posted By: Belle

I did something similar. I hung one of those over the door racks with the hooks & our shotgun is in the bag hanging off of them. Like yours, unless you know it's there, you don't know it's there. Not that anyone should be in my closet anyway! LOL

There is a LOT of wood in that box. I've been thinking of using the vinyl paneling that looks like wood for my basement ceiling, or preferably plywood. I'd use screws to attach the panels to the rafters and put stuff there that I would only use if TSHTF.

Paper products would be great up there, they don't go bad and would give me some sound insulation(kids playroom is down there). Only light things could go up if I used the cheaper plastic paneling

If I used plywood, heavy items could go up there - guns and ammo, cans, almost anything you don't want people to know you own. It would just look like a slightly eccentric basement finishing project. and no tape joints to have to deal with!

just an idea.

Good idea about the panels up there. If you used plywood to store your ammo and other heavy stuff up there, you could just use construction adhesive to attach ceiling panels to the plywood.

We do have a basement with exposed joists, but since we plan on moving this summer, won't be doing this quite yet. If we can't move, then this is on my "to do" list.

I have big open beams, and I nail giant nails into them and hang up stuff in big plastic supermarket bags.

It doesn't hide anything, but it sure does hold a lot of storage out of the way.

I read this whole thread. I live in a wilderness but exist in my tiny apartment. As I can, I will be building better storage in places I can put to use. The main one I can hide behind closet and a big high cupboard will be for food storage beyond kitchen storage. Also for camp supplies and emergency stuff as well. If I do it very neatly I can store a whole lot.

I also like the idea of the wire shelves for the bathroom. I was just looking at mine and thats a great idea and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Would be able to clear my bathroom sink countertop that way and store extra toilet paper up there! Maybe hang a better lamp too. Bathroom lighting sucks in these places!

Another big project for me will be the bed on a raised platform so that I can store food boxes and bins under my bed. One of these days....... smile

Go Arby go! cheercheer

Sounds like your really thinking this out!

Keep sharing the ideas.

thanks

Originally Posted By: arby
Another big project for me will be the bed on a raised platform so that I can store food boxes and bins under my bed. One of these days....... smile

Someone at Homesteading Today used to be a submariner and he said that when they had too many canned goods to store properly that they'd put the cans in the isles and simply put a piece of plywood on top and walk on that.

So I guess it would be possible to put a layer of cans on the floor (or on a plwood sheet with lattes under in, for air) and then put a sheet of plywood over that and top it with the boxsprings and the mattress. You'd went the boxsprings or some slats of wood, instead of just the mattress, to keep a bit of air flowing and to not trap the heat and moisture from your bodies on the mattress, I imagine.

body{font-size:10pt;font-family:arial,sans-serif;background-color:#ffffff;color:black;}p{margin:0px;}Lori did so good at Book Sales the last few times that I had to build her MORE bookshelves!!!!!!!

Made these Book Cases out of 1 x 10 pine boards (finished)

Made 2 that sit side by side. Each one is 6 feet tall (had to fit up the strairs!) 3 feet wide and (duh) 10 inches deep. There are 5 shelves in each book case

Then there are 'shelve boxes' made to go on top for another 2 shelves to put books on!

AND they are just about fULL already!

These are in the hallway at the top of the stairs.

Only cost about $60.00 for lumber, nails, glue - I ,of cause, volunteered my time but got a good supper in return (see what's for Dinner postings)

:AmishMichael2:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.