MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chicken Soup - Pressure Canned

Darlene

Wow Darlene! The pic and running commentary are great! I fully intended to do this along with you this weekend, but ran out of time. I do have some questions, how tight do you tighten the screws on the canner lid? and is there a danger of the canner boiling dry when you vent it for 10 before you put the weight on? and do you keep the heat on high for the whole 90 min? Thanks!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tx-

I screw the clamps on as tight as I can get them...I also put about 2" of water in the bottom of the canner before I add the jars and have never even come close to the water boiling out. Once I have the weight on the canner, and it starts to jiggle, I adjust the heat so that the weight gauge jiggles slightly a couple of times each minute.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I missed this one... I was off doing chili and veggie soup and you all were doing chicken soup.. Oh well tomorrow is another day.. Then I will have missed out on the garlic jelly.. Ok it's off to bed for me! have a great night everyone..

Hey there free to be me, and welcome to MrsSurvival!

No, it you should not add rice before processing your chicken soup in the canner. It interferes with the proper heat distribution during the process which can in turn, leave you with an unsafe product. What many of us do, is when we go to heat up our soups at a later date, we add the dry rice or noodles to the pint or quart of soup, and simmer it until the starch product is cooked. In the event of a power outage though, I guess that wouldn't work.

Hope this info helps, and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!

I have all the ingredients now so if I ever get the last canner load of veggie soup done I'll start on it.. I never seem to have enough space on the stove for all the things I want to do at the same time..

Darlene, better late that never, I have my chicken cooked the stock stained and in the refrigerator so I can skim the fat off in the morning and can my chicken soup. I have enough to do 14 qts which is two canners.

I canned 14 qts vegetable beef soup yesterday, and getting ready to can extra HB tonight.

I am enjoying your canning lessons, it is so much fun canning with everyone. I don't have any friends that can, so this is my only chance to talk "canning" with friends.

Thanks again your hard work is appreciated.

arklatex, it's as much fun for me as it is for you. I hafta make a concerted effort not to discuss my canning many times here in real life because once I start, I can't shadddup! lol It's really nice to talk about it all I want and having y'all enjoying doing it too!

Out of my batch I got 10 quarts of chicken soup plus 2 quarts of broth..

Not too bad for my week.. I added to my pantry

6 quarts of chili

12 quarts of veggie soup

12 quarts of chicken soup

2 quarts of broth

hi all been watching for a while decided to dive in

have a few questions re: pressure canning

how long will you be able to store (in this case) soup 1 month? 3 months ? 6 months?

has anyone use fowls -vacola jars for pressure canning as we dont have mason jars as readily avaliable

and is a pint size a single person serve? and if so what is a quart size serve and can some one tell me what that eqates to as cups(250 mil) please

otherwise great forum

Hi to a fellow Aussie!

I have the fowlers Vacola bottles, but haven't used them yet. I hope to start my adventure in canning over the summer break (I get nearly 5 months before Uni starts again!) You should be able to use them the same as the basic system is the same. (seal glass jar with a rubber seal and a metal lid using water bath or pressure system)

Sizes: 1 pint is 600 ml

- and one book I have gives 1 cup = half a pint

1 quart = 2 pints = 1200 ml

Whether you could call 1 pint a single serve would depend on the person! For soup I would use 1 cup as a minimum.

Hope to see more posts from you on here - Have you introduced yourself up on the sunporch yet?

Sue

AussieDave,

I am so glad Sue is here to do the conversions.. but I can answer your question about how long canned soup lasts... as long as the vacuum seal is still good... years!

I will be more realistic.. as long as commercial canned foods last. Pretty cool huh!

we ate home canned foods that were 3-5 years old when I was a child and never thought anything about it. As an adult I have canned items that I canned in 1998 I am still eating. It is a judgement call, but expect your canned foods to last years not months.

Welcome!!!! glad you joined us!

• 1 month later...

Okay, I'm so nervous not so much about doing this but about eating the final product and NOT surving LOL.

I love homemade chicken soup so I'm gonna give it a go. I've got one chicken so I'll only make 6 quarts or so, maybe more? Maybe I will add more veg's.

Darlene, this is exactly what I needed pictures and all....and someone to hold my hand. LOL.

Thanks. You guys those jars do look beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Darlene,

Thanks for replying. I did not use a cover.

One more question - I hope. If I want to can just the broth, do I still process it for the same amount of time? 90 minutes for quarts or 75 minutes for pints ??? Must I still pressure can it or is the boiling water bath OK ??? Well, that was 2 questions.

Thanks,

YYY

Broth or stock must be pressure canned.

Regarding processing time... I have an older book and it lists shorter times than for meats, but I usually just do it the same as the meats/soups because then I can do them all together.

Quote:
Darlene,

If I want to can just the broth, do I still process it for the same amount of time? 90 minutes for quarts or 75 minutes for pints ??? Must I still pressure can it or is the boiling water bath OK ??? Well, that was 2 questions.

Thanks,

YYY

Yes you have to pressure can it. But the times are pints 20 min, quarts 25 min for just broth.

Buttercup, HSmom and KimMC,

Thanks to all 3 of you for taking the time to reply. I pressure canned the broth at the normal times for meat. I'm filing y'alls information away for future cannings.

Thanks again

YYY

• 2 weeks later...

I made Darlene's chicken soup today with about 10 pounds of chicken. The meat has been picked and the broth strained. It sure is purty chicken and broth, and smells heavenly. Tomorrow is The Big Day when I use my new pressure canner for the first time to can all this loveley soup!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about your chicken soup and the veggies you add. Could you add say a 1/4 C. chopped tomatoes and 1/4 C. sliced okra in the jar along with the other veggies and chicken and would the time be the same? Those are 2 veggies I just love in soup, especially chicken soup.

Archived