MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Annie's Salsa - Water Bath Canned

Violet, Thanks for the explanation and, yes, it does make sense. Just out of curiosity, could one use frostbitten tomatoes if they were pressure canned, rather than processed in a water bath?

It seems that the more I learn, the more I realize how much I need to learn. I've always canned "by the book," as safety is my #1 concern, but those rules have changed over the years. It really helps when you explain the reason behind those changes or restrictions.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deb, double check your grocery stores. My usually way overpriced store had nice looking tomatoes today for $1.49/lb.

I know the original recipe said to use drained tomatoes, but Violet said not to drain them so I didn't drain mine. The salsa was wonderful.

I drained mine... let them sit in the strainer in the ref for an hour.. strained.. put back in ref... 1 hour later more juice to drain... I drained and drained.. finally gave up! made a nice thicker sauce but not dry.

I hadn't drained them enough the very first time I made this recipe and it was too much liquid for our liking. I like a nice thicker chunky salsa.

by the time you add tomato sauce and paste.. you can adjust by pouring back the tomato juice back into the mix.

No, the frostbitten tomatoes can only be frozen, not even pressure canned. Remember, the pressure canner and BWB canning instructions are equal in the way they kill bacteria. All steps, including acidification are needed for both methods. Pressure canning will not make them any more acidic. They can only safely be frozen and used at that point.

The salsa needs to be thin ! The density of the salsa is just as important as the acid level in it. You need to drain off and thicken AFTER canning it.

The original recipe from Annie's Salsa says to drain the tomatoes. If I remember correctly, this particular recipe she had tested by the experts to confirm and document it's home canning safety.

I drain my tomatoes and even shake them in the collandar. I still end up with a usual and customary salsa that is plenty thin. I don't think that a density in making this salsa could ever be achieved unless the tomatoes were pureed and cooked down for several hours to evaporate the normal water contained in the tomatoes.

Fresh tomatoes, no matter how much you drain them, are still going to retain the bulk of their liquid, so hopefully this will avert any density issue that would compromise canning this salsa safely.

My garden has finally coughed-up enough ripe tomatoes so I could make a batch of Annie's salsa. I made it this morning, and now I see what everyone is raving about. It's wonderful! Judging from the moans I hear coming from the kitchen, DH and DS have found the bowl of left-overs (not enough for another pint). This one is a keeper.

I'm all excited. I decided to inaugurate my new pressure canner with a batch of this salsa. This is my first time pressure canning.

I wound up with 8 pints of salsa and 3 pints of tomato juice. I used a huge can of diced tomatoes instead of making it with fresh tomatoes, because I found that big can at the salvage for less than what I'd pay for fresh tomatoes. It wound up being 8 cups, so it was perfect. I took the juice I drained from the canned tomatoes and added the leftover tomato sauce I had since I only had a 29 ounce can of sauce, and put those into pints and I'll use them later when I'm making soups and such.

Whoo hoo!

Thanks, Violet. I am going to make a chart to put in the front of my recipe log so I have it all at a glance. As I try things, I'm keeping plenty of notes.

DH LURVED the Annie's salsa. It's just like the salsa we get at his favorite Mexican restaurant, but since we can't eat out anymore due to the food allergies, he rarely gets to have any. So in a couple of weeks, I think I'm going to do a big canning day and make up a double or triple batch to get us through until fresh tomatoes are available again next year.

I've made 4 batches of annie's salsa. 2 batches medium/hot... 1 batch medium lite, LOL and one batch of mild.

We had a labor day party. I gave every family 1 jar of salsa. They were thrilled. Needless to say I need to make more salsa. OLAY>>>>

this salsa is so thick, it will never get to temperature in the middle in a quart jar.

If it was thin it would be sauce and not salsa.

stick with the pints or half pints even.