MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anybody Have Hamburger Canning Recipes??? Please!!

mom11

Hi!

I just ordered half a cow. It will be grass fed, no antibiotics, no hormones. The best part is, cows grazed on grass have the Alpha Omega Oils, just like fish.

Anyway! I want to

Sloppy Joes is one that I home can, also chili, tacos, etc.

Here's www.homecanning.com's Sloppy Joe recipe...you can tailor it to your tastes:

3 pounds ground beef

1 1/2 cups diced onion

3 cloves garlic, minced

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons prepared mustard

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon thyme

2 cups catsup

1 cup chili sauce

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons lemon juice

Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in a large saucepot. Drain off fat; set aside. Combine brown sugar and mustard. Add remaining ingredients to brown sugar mixture. Combine beef mixture and sauce. Heat thoroughly. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles with a nonmetallic spatula. Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met – fingertip tight.

Process 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.

Yield: about 6 pints

The Blue Ball canning book has a basic chili recipe, I just use my own recipe and the same for tacos.

Hope this helps.

Well Geeze!

I replied last night, thanking you, Darlene, for the recipe, but....It's not here! I must have done something wrong!

Anyway! Thanks! This looks so yummy!

So...Is it alright to just cook hamburger and add all the onion, green pepper, garlic, I want...as long as I pressure cook it for 90 mins.?

Can I just season hamburger, with taco seasoning, add onions etc. and can for 90 mins.?

What about meatballs? I have a canning recipe with eggs and bread crumbs in it? Would this be safe?

How about meatloaf? Can that be canned?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks Darlene!

That half cow will be coming in a few weeks, so I want to be ready...with a plan. Sure won't fit well in the four stuffed freezers. Maybe, I should can some of that stuff!

Is there a meatloaf recipe somewhere here, that is safe?

Is it safe to add cream of mushroom soup to recipes? I have found several that call for it.

I canned some hamburger a couple weeks ago. I cooked it, added some minced garlic and steak seasoning. Last night I made spaghetti and added a jar of it to the sauce. It came out just fine. How exciting to not want spend that time browning the hamburger, and getting to just add a jar of it! Even DH was impressed. (and then told me not to use it all up, he said I should save it for emergencies!!!)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey Darlene,

What sort of chili sauce do you use? I don't think I've ever used it before.

The only one I know if is the green-squirt bottle that is found out here in Asian restaurants....

Thanks so much!

Heinz has a chili sauce (that's what my mom always used)

Darlene, I'll have to try that sloppy joe canning recipe. I pint would probably feed the three of us if we had a side-dish.

thanks!

I just found my mom's old canning book, which she gave me when I got married. It's the "Freezing & Canning Cookbook" by the Farm Journal.

Hamburger Sauce Mix:

2 lbs lean ground beef

2 large onions, chopped

2 6oz cans tomato paste

1 1/3 c water

2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

Cook beef and onions in large pot until meat browns. Pour off fat. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Pack at once into hot pint jars. Adjust lids. Process sin pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure for 75 minutes. Makes about 3 pints.

Now this book was copywritten in 1963, 1964, 1973 (that's what it says, I assume updated?)

Does this recipe still look safe?

Thanks!!

Tracie, it looks similar to the recipe for seasoned Ground Beef in the Ball Blue Book. Personally, I would use an updated recipe. smile

from the Ball Blue Book -

Seasoned Ground Beef

Yield: about 5 pints or 2 quarts

4 pounds lean ground beef

1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 cups tomato juice

1 1/2 cups beef broth

1 teaspoon seasoned salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Brown meat. Drain off excess fat. Add onions and garlic; cook slowly until onions are tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 15 minutes or until hot throughout. Skim off excess fat, if necessary. Pack hot meat and sauce into hot jars, leaving 1-inch head space. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.

(Adjust pressure for your altitude).

The old recipe should not be used. Nothing before 1994 should be used for canning. Even those guidelines are being replaced with current ones soon. We keep waiting for them to be out.

Crazy, you buy it in the store where the ketchup is. Normally it is Heinz, but there are store brands, too. It is like a less sweet ketchup. I use it sometimes instead of ketchup due to the lower sugar. Is good on burgers. You can use the chili sauce and spice it up with horseradish for cocktail sauce.

For what it's worth,

I find the Ball recipe seasoned ground beef to be really convenient. I use it in spaghetti sauce, add taco seasoning to it for tacos, and throw it in my chilli. It would also work well in shepherd's pie, tamale pie, etc.

Originally Posted By: PoGo
Tracie, it looks similar to the recipe for seasoned Ground Beef in the Ball Blue Book. Personally, I would use an updated recipe. smile

from the Ball Blue Book -

Seasoned Ground Beef
Yield: about 5 pints or 2 quarts

4 pounds lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups tomato juice
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Brown meat. Drain off excess fat. Add onions and garlic; cook slowly until onions are tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 15 minutes or until hot throughout. Skim off excess fat, if necessary. Pack hot meat and sauce into hot jars, leaving 1-inch head space. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.

(Adjust pressure for your altitude).

Does anyone know if I can just use broth in place of the tomato juice? I'm going to can the hamburger I had in my freezer yesterday, but I don't have tomato juice on hand. I *could* run to the store. I just don't want to.

thanks
  • 4 weeks later...

Crazy, you buy it in the store where the ketchup is. Normally it is Heinz, but there are store brands, too. It is like a less sweet ketchup. I use it sometimes instead of ketchup due to the lower sugar. Is good on burgers. You can use the chili sauce and spice it up with horseradish for cocktail sauce.

Thought I'd share my homemade chili sauce recipe for anyone who'd like it. The aroma in the kitchen is worth all the effort:?)

Chili Sauce

9 ripe tomatoes

1 green pepper

1 lg onion

1 c sugar

1 c cider vinegar

1/2 T salt

1/2 t cinnamon

1/2 t cloves

1/2 t nutmeg

Peel and chop tomatoes and veggies. Simmer for 2 hours. Place in hot boiled jars to seal:?)

Hope you like it! Let me know if you try it.

Happy harvesting!

OPM that looks soooo good. I wish I had enough tomatoes, I'll try it when we do. We eat them so fast that I hardly have enough to can.

I tried the BBB Seasoned Ground Beef last night, it turned out well and today I am going to try their chili. I'm feeling so much more confident in canning now!

bounce

Awesome Stephanie! As much as I read about the canning you're doing, you sound like a veteran canner to me already:?)

I have tomatoes coming out my ears right now:?) (Put in about 30 plants this year) I've been doing garden veggies for several years (basement full) and want to get more adventurous, but right now I'm too busy canning veggies to try the cool hamburger and chili kind of stuff! I'll start that when mid September hits and the garden slows down!!!!!! Oh wait. That's when the apples will be ready! AAAAARGH:?)

Hope you get a chance to try the chili sauce!

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: onepoormomma

Thought I'd share my homemade chili sauce recipe for anyone who'd like it. The aroma in the kitchen is worth all the effort:?)

Chili Sauce
9 ripe tomatoes
1 green pepper
1 lg onion
1 c sugar
1 c cider vinegar
1/2 T salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t cloves
1/2 t nutmeg

Peel and chop tomatoes and veggies. Simmer for 2 hours. Place in hot boiled jars to seal:?)

Hope you like it! Let me know if you try it.

Happy harvesting!

Darlene, would you know how long and what size jars to use and how to process this sauce?
Thanks
Buggs

Archived