MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Loss Of The Ability To Communicate For 3 Months Or Longer

For whatever reason, the grid goes down. How will you

receive news or check on loved ones?

Let me state that with this possibility comes the idea

of an EMP attack in which any tool that carries a micro chip

which would be virtually worthless. That would include

an inverter for the car, a crank radio or flashlight.

Any ideas?

I would have to be content with news and information from my neighbors in that situation. I have a bicycle which I am fit enough to ride fairly long distances on. I am also quite a good walker/runner. Our familys (outside of my immediate family) all lives considerable distances from us and I would not be able to hear from them under the scenario you described. I would have to trust that we would all care for ourselves as needed and check in eventually when able to. This is something that I think we would have to just "breathe through" as options are so limited.

What? No internet!?!?!?

Well, seriously, we'd be SOL. My mom lives about 5 miles away. We could move her in here. Other relatives are far, far away.

We do have a pair of walkie talkies, but they are rated only for about 2 miles - and of course, we'd mostly be talking to each other. Not much use in that.

Quote:
What? No internet!?!?!?

Well, seriously, we'd be SOL. My mom lives about 5 miles away. We could move her in here. Other relatives are far, far away.

We do have a pair of walkie talkies, but they are rated only for about 2 miles - and of course, we'd mostly be talking to each other. Not much use in that.

Walkie talkies need to be charged.

Okay....may be a dingy thought...but what about "postal", would that also be "kapoot" under such circumstances.

Losing communication with my family is one of my worse fears. The last time we were in Arkansas, we agreed on a meeting place. In other words, if it gets really bad...this is where we'll all meet up. Of course it is 400 miles from us....sigh...but close to everyone else. That was the best I could come up with.

For some reason I keep thinking of those humongous bonfires that they used to call for help...tht was a neat way to communicate without modern ways.

As for communicting with my dh and boys here on our little five acres...I may try what the Swiss Family robinson did. Remember? They ran a flag up...to communicate all was well...or come quick!

Stephanie

Hon's mom and dad are only about a ten minute walk from our new place so we would know what was going on there. My folks? Well, they are almost an entire day of bike riding (as in pedal, not motor) away, but it could be done (it has been) by going the backways -already mapped- in about 6 hours. They are close to a lot of my older family members and their friends, so in an emergency situation we could still get down there and back at least once a month. As for my big brother, his wife and the kids? Almost two states away and living the cricket lifestye. I don't know what would happen there.

Ham radio will likely survive an emp attack. Many hams operate with older tube-type equipment, not solidstate. Ham equipment is generally designed to be run on 12v batteries if necessary.

My husband and I are both ham radio operators and all our equipment is relatively new (10 years old or younger) and have electronic components - not tubes. It is a rare operator these days who has the old style radios. There are some out there - but not many.

Quote:
Walkie talkies need to be charged.

I said we'd be SOL.

Besides that power intverter I have for the car would last forever, right?

Seriously, like I said, we could walk over to get my mom and walk her back. Otherwise, we'd be without comms.

Not even handcranks, huh?

Then again, 'news' can be pretty far down on the hierarchy of needs (shelter, water, & food being high up). OTOH, if the news is telling you that the angry mob is headed your way...

It's okay, HSmom...I don't "think out the words", either, even when reading about when TSHTF. We've become accustomed to those acronyms and I think they've come to stand alone, without the need to "think" them through. 0002.gif

• 2 years later...

I'm bumping this up.

Solar storms and EMP's are things that could happen along with Hurricanes, snow storms and other issues that could affect our mode of communications.

Personally, I invested in some 21 mile walkie talkies I am putting into a Faraday box.

But the idea of family close enough for biking or walking is helpful for those of you that have family near.

Any ideas?

Did you know that until fairly recently, most cities had mail delivery 3 times a day? If you needed to get a message to someone sooner you would send a messenger with a note. That doesn't do much for us way out in the boonies though. LOL

Frankly the news services don't do diddly squat for anything important and local. Not even sure they are that much use for important events on a national or state level either.

If we couldn't communicate I would miss my friends.

If I couldn't get on this site because of no communication, i could just see myself with DH's little solar panel aiming toward the sun, with my computer plugged in praying for enough juice!

I'm probobly an odd ball here, but i get alot of recent news just on this site.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I keep my hand crank radio in a small homemade faraday box inside a wooden box on the inner wall of our apartment building here. I hope that is enough. It stays there and is easy to grab with BOB gear. If things went down, I might be able to pick up a station out of Canada ( Montreal region, if they were not affected by an EMP. Otherwise I know I am on my own. )

If postal service could be re-organized, that would be about the only way to get word out if you do not have the old tube ham radio set up or access to anyone with them. I would be checking with the county offices of OEM here if it was safe enough to walk about town, periodically if I could not pick up a station on the hand crank radio, provided it worked after an EMP or solar flare disaster.

Postal service would be very slow. Essentially we will be on our own in many places. Having other non powered entertainment or things to keep busy with is a strong reccommendation.

How about CB's? Does anyone know how they would fare in this sort of situation?

We also have a plan for a central meeting place. The only reason that I got the family to agree to that was because if anything happens during the school day, our schools automaticaly bus the children to another location. We will not be allowed to pick them up from school. When I pointed this out to my sister and my mom they agreed to the meeting place since I could get to the kids fastest. Although EMP would mean the buses wouldn't run or the cars so I am going to have to rethink and add to my plan.

There is a good fiction series by Teri Blackstock ( I think that's her name) about an EMP strike. It's been a while since I read it but I will look up the titles if anyone is interested.